New Plugin: Emby.Notification.Join

ackbarr

ackbarr

Requested by bry - Join is a Push Notification system similar to Pushbullet that was designed by JoaoApps - http://joaoapps.com/join/

With this plugin you can now receive your emby notifications on any device connected to your Join account. I am looking for testers, particularly those running Emby Server on mono.

Release Notes

v 1.0.0.2 - 2017/11/21

Bug Fix: Fixed '&' escaping bug

Improvement: Added help text on how to specify multiple device ids

v 1.0.0.1 - 2017/11/20

Improvement: Updated plugin to support emby-server v3.2.35.0 and later

Improvement: Updated plugin to work with .net core framework

Improvement: Added to plugin catalog

Plugin Settings Page

57f807a602429_20161007_15h36_50.png

Edited by ackbarr

PenkethBoy

Working for me

any way to change the sound of the notification or is this a windows thing?

ackbarr

Working for me

any way to change the sound of the notification or is this a windows thing?

You can change the notification sound in the android client, but I don't see similar options in the Windows 10 or Chrome clients. You'll probably have to request that feature from JoaoApps.

PenkethBoy

Found it - in chrome the icon for this top right - has an options menu

which takes you to an options page in chrome

under advanced you can change the Notification Sound to a url e.g. OneDrive etc

also you can do a few other things like encryption

and turn off auto download of files and auto opening of url's !!

• Like 1

PenkethBoy

Having tried this out there are a couple of things that could be adjusted - not sure if they are the plugin or the join app - so sorry if this is out of your control

1. There is no point duplicating the same notifications as produced by the server - i think the server limits the number of notifications to three and delays them for a short while - so the jion notifications generally appear before the server - so in effect you get notified twice.

2. Not keen on Chrome running in the background all the time just to get a notification

3. Too many different places to change settings etc

Like the idea - not sure i like the way its implemented - which i expect is Join rather than the plugin

I will live with it for a few days and see if i can get oin with it

ackbarr

Thanks for the feedback. I agree that there's no point in getting the emby server notifications and the join notifications in the same chrome instance. Join was designed to replace notification mirroring / sharing tools like PushBullet so the real power is to have the Join app on your phone or tablet and get the notifications there.

I also agree that while functional, the Join user interface is not as smooth as some of its competitors. It's primary draw (to me anyway) is the encrypted communications and is significantly cheaper than PushBullet.

Edited by ackbarr

PenkethBoy

Have disabled it on my server browser (just doing chrome notifications for now) so that stops the double post

will it pick up all Emby notifications from the notification page on the server?

ackbarr

Yes - it subscribes to the emby notification service, so any notifications enabled in Extras > Notifications should be sent to the plugin. In my own testing I have observed a few differences between the messages sent to chrome vs those sent to the notification service (e.g. Service Shutdown / Restart notices, multiple item addition handling). 

• 9 months later...
manicpanic

Plugin works well. Thanks!

One think I noticed is that if the TV show or movie has an ampersand (&) in the title the notification gets cut off

• 3 months later...

@ackbarr: This plugin doesn't seem to work with server 3.2.36.0, I tried it with Mono and .NET Core and had no luck with either.

I noticed that your Slack plugin is very similar but has been updated, presumably an API change is what has stopped Join from working.

Any chance you're willing to update it?

ackbarr

Most certainly - now that I've figured out the API changes updating this one should be trivial. I don't use Join anymore, and the thread has been silent for several months so it slipped my mind.

ackbarr

@ackbarr: This plugin doesn't seem to work with server 3.2.36.0, I tried it with Mono and .NET Core and had no luck with either.

I noticed that your Slack plugin is very similar but has been updated, presumably an API change is what has stopped Join from working.

Any chance you're willing to update it?

I just pushed an update to the plugin (v 1.0.0.1) and added it to the Plugin Catalog. Could you test it out and let me know if you have any issues?

Blimey that was quick.

Plugin is working just fine, well, test notifications go to my phone and browser as they should. Message truncation bug is still present, the ampersand is cutting the notification off in the wrong place.

5a13a5fc61148_Clipboard1.jpg

Also would you consider adding help text under Device ID to the effect that multiple comma separated ID's can be listed?

• Like 1

ackbarr

I just pushed v 1.0.0.2 that fixes the '&' issue and adds some help about specifying multiple device ids

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

By sheer coincidence I became aware of the update via a Join notification on my mobile, confirming that it was working.

Nice work Admiral, I salute you  :)

• 1 year later...

Wow, I have to resurrect this thread to say THANK YOU.

NZBGet, Sonarr, and CouchPotato already notifies me via Join. But there's a lag between them notifying me and shows showing up on Emby.

What I really wanted was for EMBY to notify me and a random Google pointed me here.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

@ackbarrAlmost five years later, I'm back with a request: I think the plugin might need to be updated? Test notifications work after entering the API key. But I get the spinning circle when I click on save.

12 hours ago, vurt said:

@ackbarrAlmost five years later, I'm back with a request: I think the plugin might need to be updated? Test notifications work after entering the API key. But I get the spinning circle when I click on save.

Hi, please attach the emby server log from when you tried to do that:

Thanks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Luke said:

OK you may want to try the 4.8 beta server as notifications have been completely revamped there. Thanks.

Ah, thank you so much for the heads up! I'll wait for it.

• Thanks 1