Emby slow, never retrieves seasons, crashes

Fieperskaivu

Fieperskaivu

Good morning,

I've been having issues with Emby for at least a month or two now. Originally my problem was only that certain TV shows with a large number of seasons would either take a very long time to retrieve the seasons, or on some devices (DLNA, Android, Windows App) it would never display at all. This seemed to be a common issue and I was responding on and following a thread about it, but I'm told that it was resolved while my issue never changed. It has only gotten worse, as now Emby is slow to retrieve data for nearly everything, and sometimes will hang and crash the server while doing so, forcing me to restart it.

I am currently running 3.0.7300.0 on a QNAP 269L NAS. It has been running Emby Server for months, maybe over a year, perfectly and I've been very happy with it until this issue. I did not report it sooner as I just kept updating and hoping one patch would resolve it, but that has not been the case. I've tested and there are no performance issues or problems with the NAS itself, only Emby has this issue.

I've attached logs, if you need different logs let me know, I just grabbed the latest server logs. Let me know if you need anything else, hopefully this is something that can be resolved as I've been a huge fan of Emby for years now and would love to get it running smoothly again.

Thanks,

Steve

emby server log.txt

• 2 weeks later...
Fieperskaivu

Thanks, it's being looked into.

Thanks for your help, any update on this? I haven't moved to 3.8300.0 yet in case you need any tests in 3.7300.0, but as I said I've been experiencing this through the last 5 versions at least. Let me know if you need any additional logs or direct testing of anything, it is sometimes crashing multiple times a day.

I would suggest trying 3.0.8300. If the issue persists, please provide a server log from that. Thanks !

Fieperskaivu

I would suggest trying 3.0.8300. If the issue persists, please provide a server log from that. Th

Ok, I've updated to 3.0.8300, same issue persists. Here are two sets of logs, one where it ran most of the day and then failed + the log for the unhandled exception. Then the log from when I restarted it, began watching a show, and it failed mid show. It provided an identical unhandled exception log, so I only attached the one.

emby server log day run ending 1105pm.txt

ffmpeg-transcode log 146am.txt

unhandled exception 1105pm and 146am.txt

emby server log 146am.txt

I would suggest bumping up to mono 4.4.2. I think that will resolve the unhandled exception and we have also seen improved performance with it.

• 2 weeks later...
Fieperskaivu

I would suggest bumping up to mono 4.4.2. I think that will resolve the unhandled exception and we have also seen improved performance with it.

Good morning,

I did as suggested and am getting the exact same issues unfortunately. Is there a best method for me to do a clean install and start from scratch? Obviously not ideal, but Emby was running perfectly 24/7 for nearly a year and now the past 3-4 months I can't even get it to run for a full day, and even then it's laggy and doesn't ever retrieve certain content.

I've included logs again, but if there is a best practice for me to just wipe it and start over and you think that would be a good idea let me know. Just want it working how it used to.

Thanks

unhandled exception 1045pm 10-11-16.txt

server log 1045pm 10-11-16.txt

server log 936am 11-11-16.txt

Fieperskaivu

Good evening,

Updated and restarted the NAS, worked a bit longer this time, but still could not retrieve certain shows and everything still slow. Crashed tonight while in use over DLNA.

Logs attached.

Thanks for your help looking into this.

unhandled exception 944pm 11-15-16.txt

server log 944pm 11-15-16.txt

ffmpeg transcode 958pm 11-15-16.txt

server log 958am 11-15-16.txt

Edited by Fieperskaivu

Thanks, I would try again with the next release of Emby Server. The crash will definitely be resolved and it should perform better as well. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
Fieperskaivu

Hi Luke,

3.1 is great and the crashing seems to be resolved. Things are much faster. Thanks to you and the team for all the hard work.

Still have an issue with shows that have a lot of seasons (especially the Simpsons) that never used to be an issue. On DLNA it still never retrieves at all unfortunately. On other apps it does, but still takes up to a minute or two. Not sure if there's anything that can be done? It never used to do this, was instant. If I try to retrieve the seasons and it times out would that show up on any log I can provide?

Not as major and issue and I'm very happy that Emby is reliably working great for everything else, just like it always did =).

Yes that is the last major area where we still need to improve performance a little more, and we will in upcoming releases. thanks.