Chromecast: "Are you still watching?" timeout

gstuartj

gstuartj

Hi guys,

I'd love to see a feature that asks Chromecast users if they're still watching after 3 episodes or so. (Like Netflix, Hulu, etc.)

Another timeout that would be helpful is if the app is open on the Chromecast for 10 or 15 minutes without content playing, it should close itself. Most other Chromecast apps seem to have some sort of similar timeout.

My Chromecast users sometimes disconnect from their Chromecast without closing the client app, or they turn their TV off without stopping videos. This means they can end up streaming through hundreds of episodes before the playlist runs out. It would help prevent bandwidth/CPU waste.

Thanks!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
gstuartj

I know it's not been long, so don't interpret this as nagging, but this has become more of an issue for me very recently. Most of my clients are using Chromecasts, and there are times when 2-3 people leave their devices streaming for 12+ hours, eating up my entire upstream connection. Since there's no easy way to disconnect clients manually and there's no timeout, I end up having to shutdown the server for a bit until all the Chromecasts fail playback. Again, I know I just raised this issue, just thought I'd add more details on the impact. :)

Thanks, guys!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Please make this "feature" optional, I sometimes use Emby via casting as background sound and I would hate to start being on top of that.

Also how would that work when casting music?

As a side note I found out that you can cast from Emby to a Chromecast audio device, the funny thing about that, is that you can cast anything, not just music. Of course if you cast a video to an audio device, it will only play the audio.

Also how would that work when casting music?

The key word is watching, suggests video only. Dont hold your breath waiting for this, as there have been feature requests asking for the same thing for awhile in many threads. If you have a genie in a bottle, or aladdins magic lamp, you can use a wish :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk