Odd Behavior in Web App

jasonmcroy

jasonmcroy

I am not sure when this started, but if I try to access my Series page under the Live TV section using the Web App instead of it being the usual list, it's a bunch of colored icons that I can't access.

If I access the Web App from the local host it works just fine as normal.

Here is the screen shot of the Web App from my Local Host:

post-106-0-41731400-1475713635_thumb.jpg

Here is the screen shot if I try to access it from the Web App via Emby Connect:

post-106-0-50984200-1475713693_thumb.jpg

If I click any of the Series in the last screen shot I just get a spinning circle. This makes me unable to delete a Series unless I access the page via the Local Host computer.

Can anyone else recreate this? I have tried it via Chrome and Firefox. I am on stable server version 3.0.7300

Happy2Play

It is possibly do to the fact that your local server is v3.0.7300 and Emby Connect is v3.1.6122.19439.  You can see the version difference if you check Active Devices in the Dashboard.

jasonmcroy

Per the Dashboard on the local server the App on the not local machine version is v3.1.6122.19439.

Doesn't Emby Connect update when the Server updates? I am not sure how that works exactly. I've never seen a separate update for Connect.

Happy2Play

I don't know how it works but the app/Connect runs a different build than your local system.   @Luke  would have to give more insight on this.

Edited by Happy2Play

When you say "via Connect" do you really mean app.emby.media?  If so, then that will always be the latest release version of the server.  You appear to be running a dev version locally.

jasonmcroy

When you say "via Connect" do you really mean app.emby.media?  If so, then that will always be the latest release version of the server.  You appear to be running a dev version locally.

I guess that is what I mean. I have to click the Emby Connect button from the forum to access the Web App when I am not on my local machine. That is how I access it. When I do click that button the address is app.emby.media so I thought they were the same. Is that not true? If not that is confusing.

Anyway, my server version number is Version 3.0.7300.0. I believe that is the stable version per the last Blog post on it.

Happy2Play

Are you saying Connect is running a Dev build?  Since the Connect version number is ahead of the versioning listed on GitHub releases.

57f681bdaf4df_servers.jpg

I guess that is what I mean. I have to click the Emby Connect button from the forum to access the Web App when I am not on my local machine. That is how I access it. When I do click that button the address is app.emby.media so I thought they were the same. Is that not true? If not that is confusing.

Yes, that is confusing.  I could have sworn we changed the title of that button...

They are not the same.  Emby Connect provides an easy way to connect to your server remotely without having to know the IP address. It is like a dynamic DNS service.  That button takes you to the online web client which can attach to your server using Connect or not.

Happy2Play

Yes, that is confusing.  I could have sworn we changed the title of that button...

They are not the same.  Emby Connect provides an easy way to connect to your server remotely without having to know the IP address. It is like a dynamic DNS service.  That button takes you to the online web client which can attach to your server using Connect or not.

@ebr I think there is a lot a confusion with this then.  So the online web client (Connect/app.emby.media) will always use the WAN since it is not a local version being connected to.

Edited by Happy2Play

So the online web client (Connect/app.emby.media) will always use the WAN since it is not a local version being connected to.

No.  You can attach directly to your local server via the local IP address/machine name.  For instance, on your server machine you can "Add Server" and give it "localhost" as the address.

Now, there isn't a whole lot of reason to do that because you could just go directly there in the first place.

jasonmcroy

Thanks for clearing that up. So then, the issue only occurs if I connect via the online Emby app. 

When there are no breaking api changes i will often deploy newer code to the online web app, yes.

BTW - using Connect also won't always use the WAN address.  The apps will use the local address if possible.

jasonmcroy

so this is still an issue for me. I noticed today that it also occurs in the android mobile app on my tablet. No one else is seeing this happen for them?

Edit:

Here is a log after I just tried to do this from the web app on my laptop (on my network). I go to the Series tab, click one of the shows (which are colored boxes rather than the list I get on the Local Host computer) and I get nothing but a spinning circle.

server-63611481600.txt

Edited by jasonmcroy