How to set bitstream in ET

PrincessClevage

PrincessClevage

When playing a video you can edit Lav Audio setting when it appears in the task bar. When I select the tick boxs to enable bitstream for dts etc and then click apply the movie stops playing. I start playing the movie again. And check the Lav audio setting and all bitstream check boxs are unchecked again. My media center pc is connected to denon receiver amp via hdmi, is this setting possible or am I missing something? I have ET setting set to hdmi bit streaming

AdrianW

All you  need to do is set the "Audio bitstreaming mode" to HDMI or SPDIF from within ET's audio setting dialog.

There should be no need to mess with the LAV settings.

• Like 1

PrincessClevage

I have already set audio in ET to hdmi but when play a video and check the Lav Audio settings from the Lav Audio that appears in the task bar when you play a video, none of the bitstream check boxs are selected. I have checked emby dashboard and it is direct play

Guest asrequested

Luke has made all the settings for LAV internal, you can't change them. Is your media bitstreaming?

Edited by Doofus

PrincessClevage

No it is not bitstreaming, shouldn't the relevant selected setting show in the Lav audio that appears in the task bar when you start playing a movie? When I check them no bitstreaming setting seem to have the check box selected?

Guest asrequested

The LAV tray icon is hidden by default. It ostensibly has no function. So when you play a movie, how does the sound come out?

• 3 weeks later...
PrincessClevage

The LAV tray icon is hidden by default. It ostensibly has no function. So when you play a movie, how does the sound come out?

DTS etc are showing on my denon receiver as PCM. Is my understanding correct that if showing PCM the decoding of the audio is done before it is sent to the receiver and if showing bitstreaming assumes the (destination or receiver) can perform the work?

AdrianW

Are you sure your player has direct access to your media?

Check the WebUI dashboard when you're playing something in ET - in the Active Devices section you should see a thumbnail for the video playing in ET - directly underneath it should say "Direct Playing", if it says "Transcoding" then you need to sort that out first.

Guest asrequested

DTS etc are showing on my denon receiver as PCM. Is my understanding correct that if showing PCM the decoding of the audio is done before it is sent to the receiver and if showing bitstreaming assumes the (destination or receiver) can perform the work?

PCM is raw uncompressed audio, so ET is converting the audio. So let's look at your configuration. I'm assuming you're using HDMI, or are you using optical? Also, post a screenshot of your audio settings in ET.

PrincessClevage

PCM is raw uncompressed audio, so ET is converting the audio. So let's look at your configuration. I'm assuming you're using HDMI, or are you using optical? Also, post a screenshot of your audio settings in ET.

As per my original post, I am using Hdmi and audio bitstreaming mode is set to hdmi (see screenshot attached). Thanks Doofuspost-6439-14774301254902_thumb.jpg

Guest asrequested

As per my original post, I am using Hdmi and audio bitstreaming mode is set to hdmi (see screenshot attached). Thanks Doofus IMG_4663.JPG

Try setting the renderer to WASAPI and choose your receiver as the device.

Edited by Doofus

PrincessClevage

Try setting the renderer to WASAPI and choose your receiver as the device.

After playing with the settings on the pc that runs Emby it seems that a third party application "DFX Audio Enhancer" might be the problem as it is set to default device and the it applies some EQ enhancements then sends audio to denon receiver. Looks like the player is detecting this DFX as not bitstream capable. Quite nice to have this DFX option, would it be possible to force bitstreaming ?

AdrianW

That DFX Audio Enhancer will be your problem - if possible configure it so it is disabled for AC3 and DTS audio - as these audio tracks need to be passed untouched to your receiver. 

PrincessClevage

If you specify your WASAPI device in ET, doesn't it bypass DFX? Or are you wanting to process everything?

All seem to be pmc unless I exit the DFX so for the moment I have uninstalled DFX and bitstreaming seems to be working at the denon receiver is showin DTS etc. Now I have two extra problems to iron out:

1 . When denon is set to destination ET volume controls do not have any effect and it plays at full volume of the receiver current setting

2. When turning off the denon receiver win 7 is does not swap the default playback device to the tv speakers

I have tried setting denon in ET and default device as tv speakers in win 7 , this does not work and will only play sound through the denon if it is set as default playback device in windows.

The driver in use is the graphics driver for Nividia quadro 4000

Guest asrequested

1. Bitstreaming, turns off volume control in ET.

2. If you set your computer to TV by default, and set ET to WASAPI denon, when you're not using ET, your computer will use the TV speakers. Is that what you're trying to do?

Are you wanting to turn your Denon off and be able to still watch and listen from your computer to your TV? If yes, you need to look at the HDMI settings in the Denon. There should be a pass-through setting. So when you turn the denon off, it will still pass the signal through to your TV. I have mine setup that way.

Edited by Doofus

PrincessClevage

1. Bitstreaming, turns off volume control in ET.

2. If you set your computer to TV by default, and set ET to WASAPI denon, when you're not using ET, your computer will use the TV speakers. Is that what you're trying to do?

Are you wanting to turn your Denon off and be able to still watch and listen from your computer to your TV? If yes, you need to look at the HDMI settings in the Denon. There should be a pass-through setting. So when you turn the denon off, it will still pass the signal through to your TV. I have mine setup that way.

I think I have found the problem, when DFX software was installed turning on or off the amp had no adverse affect as it was always sending pmc to the amp when it was on or passed through to the tv speakers. Now that I have uninstalled DFX and bitstreaming is working using the hdmi setting in ET but then when I turn off the amp it looks like ET still tries to send bitstream to the denon receiver which is passing through to tv which can not decode and not sound is output, also why no sound shows in windows volume control. Is there any way to enable ET to detect that the receiver has turned off or change power state and switch to pcm? Seems a bit crazy if I have to go into audio setting to adjust hdmi when I want to watch a movie ( the other half watches more tv and likes it through tv speakers only:-/)

Guest asrequested

If your TV can't decode the streams and you don't want to keep the receiver on, I think you only have one option. You'll have to manually change it.

Edited by Doofus