Failure connecting new computer to existing MB network setup

bobert

I'm trying to add a new computer to my MB setup, and am running into some problems.  The new computer (running MB Classic) just can't find the MB server at all.  when I try to start MB on the new computer, I get the screen telling me how to use the PIN it provides to access someone else's server.  I can try manually logging in with the server's IP and port, but it fails (instantly) with a WMC error: "Unable to connect to server at 192.168.0.115:8096".

To rule out a few things upfront:
- I already have 2 computers set up with MB classic.  One is the server as well.  Both of these computers work just fine.
- All 3 computers are on the same network, in the same homegroup, and can easily copy/stream files, access one another via RDP, etc.
- I opened up port 8096, and have even gone so far as to turn off the firewall completely on both machines
- All computers are hardwired, and run through the same switch
- I'm not trying to access anything remotely, nor do I ever plan to.  All access attempts are from within the local network.

I've gone through the connectivity wiki, and found it interesting that I was unable to access the web interface on any machine other than the server itself.  As I said, port 8096 is open, and I've now completely disabled the Windows firewall.

I tried editing the MBCommonXml.config file as discussed in this thread, but no luck.  (I've now restored the unmodified config file.)  I've also looked at a couple dozen other threads, but none of them really seemed to apply to my issue.

If it wasn't for the fact that the two current PCs work correctly, I'd really think there was a problem with my configuration somewhere.  If I hadn't already disabled the firewall, I'd think that was a likely cause of the issue.  But as it is, I'm kind of stuck.  It really seems to be more related to this new installation (although I wouldn't swear to it).

If you cannot access with the web interface either then the problem is at the network layer.

Disabling the Firewall will not always allow access to everything.  So, instead, I would make sure there aren't any blocking rules in there.

Thanks, that's a good thought.  Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have worked.  I found 4 blocking rules - 2 for VNC viewer, and 2 for Media Center Extensibility Host (1 each for TCP & UDP).  They're supposed to be only for those applications, but I went ahead and disabled them.  No change, unfortunately.  I also added a port rule for 8096 on the outbound side, just for the heck of it.  No change there, either.

None, unfortunately.  The only blocking rules are those I listed earlier.  There are two rules for MediaBrowser.serverapplication.exe, but those are explicit allow rules - all ports, all IPs.  One for TCP, one for UDP.

I don't think it would matter, but I should at least mention that I'm accessing the server PC via RDP.  I've tried accessing its web interface from other PCs both while I did and did not have RDP sessions open, though, and the result is still the same.  Like I said, I doubt it makes a difference, but wanted to make sure I didn't leave out something important.

Edited by bobert