New Plugin: Emby.Notification.Slack

ackbarr

ackbarr

Hi all - been using Emby for a while and been a lurker on the forums. I'm a big fan of Slack and a .NET developer in a former life so I decided to try my hand at making an Emby plugin to send notifications via incoming webhooks to the slack channel of your choice. I am looking for additional testers, particularly those running Emby server on Mono platforms.

This beta release is feature complete and allows you to specify different settings for each emby user, specify which channel receives the notifications, use a custom emoji, and change the slack username.

Other Supported Services

Many chat systems use webhook systems similar to slack. This means that the Emby.Notification.Slack plugin works with a few additional services. The following have been confirmed working:

The following are untested, but suspected working.

Known Issues

Download Link:  Download via the Plugin Catalog

Plugin Settings Page

57f2889d16a0f_20161003_11h30_08.png

Edited by ackbarr
  • Like 3

ackbarr

Hey

Thanks for this, looks like you are motivated and have the knowledge so maybe you are in the mood to implement this?

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/32839-new-content-notification-in-more-detail/

And

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/39011-new-content-notification-which-library/

Best regards

I'll take a look. I'm still feeling my way through the code so I'm not in a position to do anything about these yet, but maybe soon.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can we have the ability to choose which notifications are sent (e.g. I don't need to send `Please restart emby server` to the channel, only library updates).

Also the ability to customize notifications would be great.

ackbarr

Can we have the ability to choose which notifications are sent (e.g. I don't need to send `Please restart emby server` to the channel, only library updates).

Also the ability to customize notifications would be great.

You can already do both of these by editing the notification in Extras -> Notifications. The customized text is used for any subscribed notification services (slack, pushbullet, etc).

Edited by ackbarr
  • Like 1

I should probably ask how you didn't already know that, because it seems to me that we have failed in our attempt to make that obvious.

ackbarr

I should probably ask how you didn't already know that, because it seems to me that we have failed in our attempt to make that obvious.

It might be due to configuring the plugin in one place and configuring the notifications seperately. I can understand how it would feel natural to edit those settings from the plugin settings page if you didn't spend much time in the notification editor. The solution might be as simple as including a section on the plugin settings page that explains the notification editor and a direct link there.

• Like 1

Maybe the fact that you can get the notification plugin in the plugin catalog is also an issue. The whole reason I added the Services tab under Notifications was to allow you to stay within the Notifications section of the server dashboard. So if you're getting the plugin from Services, then you've probably already seen the rest.

Why do we use the Emby apps for iOS, Android and UWP handle the notifications directly in the phones?

I'm not sure what you're trying to ask, sorry.

ackbarr

Why do we use the Emby apps for iOS, Android and UWP handle the notifications directly in the phones?

Pelon - is your question really a feature request to add push notifications within the Emby apps on the mobile platforms (iOS, Android, etc). So if you have the emby android app you get notifications whenever your emby server instance triggers an event?

ackbarr

Maybe the fact that you can get the notification plugin in the plugin catalog is also an issue. The whole reason I added the Services tab under Notifications was to allow you to stay within the Notifications section of the server dashboard. So if you're getting the plugin from Services, then you've probably already seen the rest.

Could be - I noticed that since I installed my plugin manually it doesn't appear in the installed services tab under Notifications. Is there a class interface I would need to implement in code for this to work, or is that a side-effect of not being in the plugin repository yet.

Simple, if we already have apps for all mobile platforms, why do we still need to have  some other plug-ings and also install some other third party software on the phones to enable notifications, when we already have apps that run on the phones, that could trigger the notifications?

Couldn't you just push the notifications directly to the current phone applications?

Why use plug-ins and third party apps on the phones?

Yes that is something that could be done. But we have a flexible notification system that allows someone to build any kind of notification destination they want. That's what this topic is about. ackbarr decided to build one and he is sharing it with you and the rest of the community.

• Like 1

You also don't necessarily have an Emby app on every phone.  Maybe you have users that never watch on their phones but would like to know when something new is added.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@@ackbarr @@Luke

I don't know if this is the correct place to post it, but when using this addon(I do not use any other notification addons so this maybe server related) the notifications for new tv episodes appear as:

`Aftermath - Aftermath (2016) - S01E05 - A Clatter and a Chatter has recently been added.`

Why does it display the series name twice, even if there is not a year?

• 4 months later...
ackbarr

Nope not dead - just been quiet as the plugin has been working up to now. I can duplicate your error on my emby install, which has been working for months without issue. I'll look into why the test notification is no longer sending.

• 2 months later...
makarai

Great plugin, which works great.

However, while slack is quite nice  I prefer some of the open source variants. Hence, i would love to see some simple webhook implementation that allows you to connect to rocket.chat for example. 

This should not be too difficult to implement as the rocket.chat webhook implementation is the same as it is for slack. Except that you need to leave  :emo:, message channel, and username empty, and let the incoming webhook settings deal with the json.

cheers

horstepipe

ok just wanted to delete a channel (instead of manually remove all messages page per page via archive) and re-setup an incoming webhook and the plugin in Emby, the test notification doesn't work anymore here, either.