UWP vs desktop version

lifespeed

lifespeed

Just some questions regarding the differences between the windows desktop Emby theater, and UWP (?) app from the Windows Store:

Are they two entirely separate development paths, or do they share code?  Which has been further developed at this point in time, and will one receive priority over the other going forward?  Any differences in features or stability?

I am using Windows 10 exclusively these days, so I could probably run either.  Currently using the desktop Emby Theater on all my PCs, with a couple Anroid and iOS clients as well.

I would decide based on your target device. On a desktop PC I would use the PC version. On tablet, Xbox One, or other uwp device, I would use the windows store version.

• 2 weeks later...
swhitmore

Just to jump in on this. I recently was having performance issues on my Intel NUC (low-powered Celeron version) with the desktop version of ET on Windows 10. Mainly lag while navigating, slow video load times, and audio/video going out of sync. Yesterday I thought to try the Windows Store version of ET, and it runs a crap load better.

So one difference that might be worth mentioning is the performance on low powered devices.

Edited by swhitmore

Guest asrequested

I have a pretty strong server and HTPC. I can't play high bitrate movies in the UWP.  They try to direct stream. They stutter and break up a lot. If you don't have media like that or they get transcoded, you're fine. Otherwise, stick to using ET desktop