How to file name 2D & 3D Blu-ray ISOs?

ShoutingMan

ShoutingMan

I need help understanding filename conventions as applied to blu-ray ISOs.

I'm referencing the guidelines, but Emby isn't behaving as I expect.

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Movie%20naming

For example: Mad Max: Fury Road. My set has both 2D and 3D discs.

I think the names should be:

"Mad Max - Fury Road (2015) - 3D.bluray.iso"

"Mad Max - Fury Road (2015) - bluray.iso"

I've got the hyphen to indicate two versions, the bluray to say it's a blu-ray and not DVD, and 3D for that version. For this case, I get only the 3D version in Emby Theater, but it's not labeled as 3D.

For another similar case, Guardians of the Galaxy, I get two indistinguishable entries in Emby Theater, one for 2D and for 3D, but I can't tell which is which without playing them.

I'm confused? What's the expected behavior for two versions of the same movie, with proper filenaming? What should the file names be?

I appreciate the help. I bought the lifetime edition and I'm trying to get my library tuned up and moved from Plex and PowerDVD conventions to Emby's.

I think this naming should be fine. Do you see the count indicator in the web app to denote that it has 2 versions? 

ShoutingMan

For one movie, I see the single entry with a (2) on the poster. For another movie, named in the exact same way, there are two different entries. This is in the server view.

For the separate versions case, I tried moving the 3D copy out of the library folders, recanning, move it back into its folder, rescanning. No difference, same result of two separate entries in the library.

Edited by ShoutingMan

ShoutingMan

I've got a few movies with differing results in the server library. Generally, the naming of multiple versions results in separate entries or missing entries. I can provide you details if you want. I hope to decipher this. It would be helpful to have a simple library setup for some movies, such as 3D and 2D editions or DVD and Blu-ray releases.

Happy2Play

Testing this I could only get the it to work using examples from the wiki.  Couldn't get just 3d to work.

57f5b5976f041_3dtest1.jpg

57f5b5aaedc31_folder1.jpg

ShoutingMan

So Mad Max is the one that works for me (single entry for two movies). But Guardians of the Galaxy and Star Wars do not.

Even in the case of Mad Max, I don't know how to pick which of the two options (2D or 3D) to play. Neither Server nor Theater show which one will play and don't give any means to pick one or the other.

The above mad max example is expected behavior that they would be listed as 2 movies.

Each version must begin with the folder name, followed by " - ". If this requirement is not met, they will be treated as separate videos.
  • Like 1

Happy2Play

So Mad Max is the one that works for me (single entry for two movies). But Guardians of the Galaxy and Star Wars do not.

Even in the case of Mad Max, I don't know how to pick which of the two options (2D or 3D) to play. Neither Server nor Theater show which one will play and don't give any means to pick one or the other.

As for my example that is how they should appear, as two separate items.  If you are getting both items merged it one entry your naming convention isn't being recognized.

Example if they are merged you can not select which one to play.

57f5f6569b189_merge.jpg

Edited by Happy2Play

ShoutingMan

The above mad max example is expected behavior that they would be listed as 2 movies.

Each version must begin with the folder name, followed by " - ". If this requirement is not met, they will be treated as separate videos.

That's my naming style. It doesn't work most of the time. EDIT: Maybe it is working but the UI is exactly opposite of what I expected. See below.

As for my example that is how they should appear, as two separate items.  If you are getting both items merged it one entry your naming convention isn't being recognized.

Example if they are merged you can not select which one to play.

57f5f6569b189_merge.jpg

That's what I see for Mad Max. For other cases, there are multiple entries.

So I'm now confused on how the multiple versions is supposed to work from the User Experience.

What I expect is Plex-like behavior: A single library entry that offers me a selection of which version to play.

But what you're saying is that Emby clutters the library with indistinguishable entries that I have to try one by one until I stumble on the version I hoped to play? 

Edited by ShoutingMan

Emby apps will automatically choose the most efficient version for the device. In the future we may turn this into a selection dialog like you mention.

ShoutingMan

Is the correct library result a single entry with the numeric icon? Or multiple individual entries? I'm still confused on how Emby should behave.

I appreciate the desire to simplify and have the software make the right choice of movie automatically. But what is the recommended library solution for managing 3D vs 2D versions or Theatrical vs Director's cuts?

Happy2Play

I appreciate the desire to simplify and have the software make the right choice of movie automatically. But what is the recommended library solution for managing 3D vs 2D versions or Theatrical vs Director's cuts?

If you want the ability to play each version you will need individual entries for each them, since there is no current option to select version when they are grouped.

Edited by Happy2Play

ShoutingMan

(And I'll toss in a feature request for this: unified library entries for multiple versions of the same video with play feature that behaves as it does currently and a "Play..." feature to choose from the versions. :) )

• Like 2

Here's an example:

I have these two files:

57f825c1605da_GoGFiles.png

Emby Theater shows two different entries:

57f825cccf601_GoGEmbyTheater.png

The reason that shows as two items is:

Testing this I could only get the it to work using examples from the wiki.  Couldn't get just 3d to work.

Waldonnis

(And I'll toss in a feature request for this: unified library entries for multiple versions of the same video with play feature that behaves as it does currently and a "Play..." feature to choose from the versions. :) )

Already liked this, but I'd also lobby for an additional option to to transcode SBS/TAB/frame-sequential to anaglyph (easy to do with ffmpeg's stereo3d filter)...in case you want that "drive-in theatre 3D movie" experience using a non-3D television/projector  :D 

(I'm only half-kidding.  This would be a fun option, actually, despite the obvious drawbacks of anaglyph)