Cannot access to my external HDD with Emby Server

KiDayz

Hi every one, I really hope you'll be able to help me.

I just installed an Emby Server on my RaspBerry 2 with RaspBian OS with ethernet connection. The server just works fine.

I plugged an External HDD in NTFS format, I'm able to see it and its content on my RaspBerry with SSH, but when I want to add my movies, which are in my HDD, I choose "add libraries" on Emby, go to "/media/pi/HDD" and it shows me a blank space, like nothing were in it.

I try to change permissions, try to "mount" my hdd, try to download some drivers for NTFS support, but nothing works yet.

I'm starting to losing my head, is there anyone who could help me ?

Thanks a lot

mastrmind11

Hi every one, I really hope you'll be able to help me.

I just installed an Emby Server on my RaspBerry 2 with RaspBian OS with ethernet connection. The server just works fine.

I plugged an External HDD in NTFS format, I'm able to see it and its content on my RaspBerry with SSH, but when I want to add my movies, which are in my HDD, I choose "add libraries" on Emby, go to "/media/pi/HDD" and it shows me a blank space, like nothing were in it.

I try to change permissions, try to "mount" my hdd, try to download some drivers for NTFS support, but nothing works yet.

I'm starting to losing my head, is there anyone who could help me ?

Thanks a lot

"Add library" is just used for telling Emby where your media is.  It doesn't show the contents of the folder.  Pick the folder for your media, tell Emby what kind of media it is (tv, movies) and Emby will then scan the folder and pull all relevant metadata.

"Add library" is just used for telling Emby where your media is.  It doesn't show the contents of the folder.  Pick the folder for your media, tell Emby what kind of media it is (tv, movies) and Emby will then scan the folder and pull all relevant metadata.

Firstly, thank you for trying to help me.

I understand what you mean, in fact I cannot access to my HDD at all, for example :

I want to add the folder /media/pi/HDD/Video/Movies in the Emby Library as "movies" type. I go to "select a path" and then to /media/pi/HDD and then : nothing appears.

Even if I scan the entire HDD, Ember says "0 folders"

Any ideas ?

zelogik

Right permissions is ok ? Because even If you have said that you have changed it, seem like that..

Regards.

Edited by zelogik

Right permissions is ok ? Because even If you have said that you have changed it, seem like that..

Regards.

To be honest with you, I'm a little bit lost right now.

Here what I do :

1) I apply to all the folders on my HDD the permission 777 (which, if I'm right, allow everybody to Read/Write) : doesn't seem to work at all

2)I edit the fstab file by adding the line :"/dev/sda4       /media/pi/DisqueDurExterne       ntfs-3g         rw,uid=emby,gid=emby   0       0": didn't work too

2)When I write "mount" in the command line, (sda4 is my HDD) I have this line : "/dev/sda4 on /media/pi/DisqueDurExterne type fuseblk (rw,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,blksize=4096)" maybe it helps you to understand the situation better.

Thank you for helping me.

zelogik

Can you run (as root)

# su - emby -s /bin/bash -c "ls /media/pi/DisqueDurExterne"

(that command execute ls as emby as user)

And see if emby can list directory.

If you have a permission denied (normally you will have :) )

Applying chmod/chown on a ntfs or fat will not work at all. (if I remember well)

you need to mount your external hard drive with:

# mount -t ntfs-3g -o rw,auto,user,fmask=0022,dmask=0000 /dev/sda4 /media/pi/DisqueDurExterne

(this command mount your ntfs share with 755 permission on file and 777 on directory)

Or configure your /etc/fstab according to the previous command line.

Regards, bonne chance ;)

Edited by zelogik

Thanks a lot, 

I have different problems :

- When I put the command which execute ls as emby user, I need to give a password, I didn't find any "default password" for Emby user, do you have any idea ?

EDIT : I wrote exactly the same command line with a sudo before, didn't read you well, as expected, "PERMISSION DENIED"

- I tried to do the other command line anyway and got some error : "Mount is denied because the NTFS volume is already exclusively opened. The volume may be already mounted, or another software may use it which could be identified for example by the help of the 'fuser' command."

Maybe by configuring the fstab file but, to be honest, I don't know exactly what to put in here, can you help me ?

EDIT : try to put this line : "/dev/sda4       /media/pi/DisqueDurExterne       ntfs-3g         rw,auto,user,fmask=0022,dmask=0000      0       0"

Didn't seem to work, I wrote the command line again, "PERMISSION DENIED" again. An idea of what I missed ?

Again thank you, you really help me

Edited by KiDayz

zelogik

Before trying to mount a device, you need to umount it ;) (or use the option -o remount)

# umount /media/pi/DisqueDurExterne. (or sudo as user)

And after that mount it again.

What showing "ls -l /media/pi/DisqueDurExterne" ?

TheWalkingGeek

Try:

sudo umount /media/pi/DisqueDurExterne

sudo rm -rf /media/pi/DisqueDurExterne

sudo nano /etc/fstab

/dev/sda4       /media/pi/DisqueDurExterne       ntfs         default      0       0

Save

sudo reboot

Edited by TheWalkingGeek

Ok I tried both of your solutions

TheWalkingGeek : it didn't work, still the same error as beginning, i don't see the folders in emby server, but thank you to trying to help me

Zelogik : I maid a mistake, and it barely worked, I mount the sda4 on /media/pi and now I can see my folders into Emby Servers, with all of my movies in the "select path screen" but when I choose the right folder and tap OK, it said there are no folders. I think that's again a story of permission, but now I see my movies, tha'ts a first step... ideas ?

The result of the ls -l command :

drwxrwxrwx 1 root root     0 Dec 28  2015 Images
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root  4096 Sep  4 20:51 Jeux
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root  8192 Dec 28  2015 Musique
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root     0 Feb 20  2016 RaspBerry
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root  4096 Sep 29 23:05 $RECYCLE.BIN
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root     0 Jan  9  2016 System Volume Information
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12288 Aug  7 11:15 Vidéo
Edited by KiDayz

TheWalkingGeek

Hrmmm .... try this in fstab

/dev/sda4       /mnt/pimedia       ntfs         default      0       0

reboot

Now point emby to /mnt/pimedia

Same problem as before : 

I see the folders in the "select path screen", but then I clicked "OK", and emby says "an error as occured, please verify that the path is right, and if Emby has the right to access to the media"

Edited by KiDayz

TheWalkingGeek

Same problem as before : 

I see the folders in the "select path screen", but then I clicked "OK", and emby says "an error as occured, please verify that the path is right, and if Emby has the right to access to the media"

Odd.   From a linux perspective, you are correctly mounting the drive and have correct permissions.

Have you tried removing and reinstalling emby just to see if you get the same error?

Tip: you don't need to reboot after changing the fstab file. Just umount and mount -a.

Now on the other problem "accessing external storage". I would guess its USB. Please search the forums since I'm almost sure that the same or very similar issue was reported several times in the past so a quick search may help you find the answer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheWalkingGeek

Make sure you have max current in your /boot/config.txt   file

max_usb_current=1

If not, add it and reboot.

Hi, I searched the forum for 25 minutes and didn't find anything, has you a link or something to redirect me to the right forum ?

TheWlakingGeek, I'm trying this, I'll let you kow

EDIT : still not working, there wasn't any line about max_usb_current, I added it, but didn't change anything

I plugged my external had with a powered USB hub to juice my HDD, can it be the source of the problem or not ?

Edited by KiDayz

zelogik

Hi,

you just need to RTFM for the module for ntfs-3g/ntfs. It's just right permission. almost pretty sure. dmask and fmask are the only options than you need.

Regards

Hi,

Just umount and remount with dmask and fmasl as 0000 values (which normally set the permission in the right wayf if I'm reading well the manual), same problem as before.

Just discover something today : when I download the emby appplication for android devices, and set the path with it, it worked.. Don't know why..

So even if I don't know why, my libraries are set. Any ideas about why this worked ?

Regards

hache93

Hi,

Have the same problem, can't add media from my HDD to emby server, not even on Android. I' ve been messing with permissions (chmod, chown, editing fstab file...) getting the same result. My drive is in ext4 file format.

Maybe you may try to open a new subect with your specifications, more user would be abble to see it.

Regards

Edited by KiDayz