New Server Build - CPU, Memory and OS (Win 7 or 8)?

JoshFink

JoshFink

Hi, I'm looking for a suggestion on building (or repurposing) a machine. Most of the ones that I've read have been general purpose machines for a lot of things. I'm really just looking for a machine that will be able to run MB3 server and transcode and stream up to a max of 8 different movies at the same time. There will be other programs running but minor ones. 

Is Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 preferred? Does it matter? 

Clients

2-3 MBT or MBC on Local LAN - Direct Play - No transcoding

2 - Local LAN Roku

3 - Local Wireless IOS

1 - Remote Roku

2 - Remote IOS

I know these might not all be supported at this time but I want to take into account all of this for future overhead and not have to build again.

Everything will be streamed from a NAS that is connected via gigabit ethernet. 

Mostly Movies and TV. Movies all 1080p source and TV is 720p source. 

My goal is not the break the bank but I'd like to get the best quality parts I can for the money right now as I'd rather not have to upgrade it in 2 years.

Thanks for the help

Josh

trooper11

I don't think either OS will cause any technical issues for what you want to do.

As far as which to go with, if your ok with the lack of a traditional start menu in win 8.1 (you can set the system to boot straight to the desktop and disable the 'hot corners' feature with 8.1), then I would go with that simply because it performs a little better and uses a little less resources.  Not to mention the series of small improvements made in the desktop on 8/8.1 such as the new file transfer features or improved task manager.

Honestly though, the OS choice is not exactly the most important part of your build.  The hardware and networking side of the build means a lot more. 

Logos302

I would suggest a cpu that has lots of cores as your are streaming/transcoading alot if they are all on at the same time.  This might improve over time as they find ways to stream without transcoding.  You could save money with an AMD cpu they have some "powerfull" APU cpus out now that should do the trick.  I run an A4-5300 but I don't stream anywhere near what you're thinking about doing.  

bloodtaker

@@JoshFink in your case with multiple 1080p streams I would suggest at least an i7 2600/3770 1155 or i7 4770 1150 or above preferably a i7 hexacore socket 2011 instead like the i7 3930k or above and at least 16gb of ram preferably more and at least a wireless n router preferably a wireless ac (the newest format).

trooper11

Yeah I definitely agree with the hardware choices.  A good i7 and say 16gb of ram would go a long way depending on how many devices you want to be able to stream 1080p content to at the same time.

I'm in the process of saving up for a cpu upgrade for my server.  I built it thinking I would just be playing content directly on my htpc, so transcoding was not a concern.  Now I'm transcoding in order to say playback content on my X1 or my tablets.  I have a rather low end Intel G620 with 8GB of ram and luckily it will stream all of my 1080p content, but some of it pushes it to the max.  Plus, that is a single transcoding stream.  It couldn't handle more than one.  Right now its not a huge deal since we are not trying to stream 1080p content to two places at once, but it wont stay that way.