Remote Control

JMGNYC

JMGNYC

I have a Harmony Elite I'm trying to program from ET and I can't for the life of me see any documentation on remote control commands for ET.

Specifically I am looking for the following:

Next Chapter Skip

Previous Chapter Skip

Cycle Thru/Select Subtitles

Cycle Thru/Select Audio

Fast Forward

Rewind

Just program it like a regular windows media center remote control and it will work.

Please note if you are using an external players than the commands you mentioned are the responsibility of the player you are using. Thanks.

JMGNYC

Thanks for the reply Luke. I am not using an external player but am using madVR.

I tried my actual Windows Media Center remote  as well as the Media Center PC device on my harmony and there is no response to Skip or Replay although FFW and REW work fine as do the arrow buttons. There doesn't see to be any buttons to cycle through audio tracks or subtitles. I had used MPC-HC for years so maybe I'm just used to that.

I would like to get Chapter Skipping working though if you have any advice.

JMGNYC

Unfortunately, there's no way to map key combinations with a Harmony that I can find so that's out of the question. I'm really surprised my MCE remote Skip doesn't work. I could map them from that if they did. Someone must've come across this before me. 

blade005

Unfortunately, there's no way to map key combinations with a Harmony that I can find so that's out of the question. I'm really surprised my MCE remote Skip doesn't work. I could map them from that if they did. Someone must've come across this before me. 

I use a MCE Remote with ET and my SKIP FWD and SKIP BACK buttons move from Chapter to Chapter.

Subtitle and Audio selections should come up on the OSD (On Screen Display), if there are multiple selections.

• Like 1

JMGNYC

I use a MCE Remote with ET and my SKIP FWD and SKIP BACK buttons move from Chapter to Chapter.

Subtitle and Audio selections should come up on the OSD (On Screen Display), if there are multiple selections.

I feel like I must be missing something obvious. My MCE remote Skip buttons have no affect. Nothing happens. Chapter skip does work with the key combinations though so I know it's not the video.

I do see how to get at the subs/audio from the OSD but not with the remote. Since the OSD is available I'm not too concerned about that.

The chapter thing not working is my real concern. Do I need a special driver for the MCE remote to work maybe?

swhitmore

I feel like I must be missing something obvious. My MCE remote Skip buttons have no affect. Nothing happens. Chapter skip does work with the key combinations though so I know it's not the video.

I do see how to get at the subs/audio from the OSD but not with the remote. Since the OSD is available I'm not too concerned about that.

The chapter thing not working is my real concern. Do I need a special driver for the MCE remote to work maybe?

Do you have chapters set up for the videos you're testing with?

JMGNYC

Do you have chapters set up for the videos you're testing with?

Yes I do have chapters setup. Like I say, using the keyboard commands skips perfectly, but neither my Harmony nor MCE Remote do anything on chapter skip buttons.

Yes I do have chapters setup. Like I say, using the keyboard commands skips perfectly, but neither my Harmony nor MCE Remote do anything on chapter skip buttons.

Just a hunch but try mapping to page up and down...

blade005

Perhaps a visual will assist for MCE Remote. No special drivers required.

These buttons work for me with Emby Theater on a Win7 and Win10 HTPC setup.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwAGTnQSBrh-LS15b0xPT1JpY1U/view?usp=sharing

Tried to upload an adjusted image, but it seems to be a one shot post. So, attached a shared link. Apologies.

Edited by blade005

JMGNYC

Perhaps a visual will assist for MCE Remote. No special drivers required.

These buttons work for me with Emby Theater on a Win7 and Win10 HTPC setup.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwAGTnQSBrh-LS15b0xPT1JpY1U/view?usp=sharing

Tried to upload an adjusted image, but it seems to be a one shot post. So, attached a shared link. Apologies.

Thanks for taking the time to do this. This is exactly they keys I was using.

The Skip Forward and Back were working. The Chapter buttons did nothing. 

I understood about the OSD for selecting audio and subtitles. I guess I had just used MPC-HC for too long where I had a button that just switched to the next audio with each click cycling through them all without the need for bringing up an OSD and then selecting from a menu. In any case, if that's not possible in ET, no problem.

So, tested again today. Chapter buttons did nothing. Rebooted PC for another reason and of course they started working! Categorize me as a major idiot not to have tried that first. Thanks everyone for the support on this. I will go hang my head in IT shame in the corner with the others who never thought to check if the PC was plugged in, the batteries were good, and didn't try rebooting first. I'm a UX designer and coder. I should soooooo know better.  :wacko:

blade005

Glad you got it working.

If you are like me, enough time will pass between this instance and the next one and you will completely forget to just 'turn it off and back on again', before cycling thru numerous other options.  :-)

Just for future reference, editing an image in-place does not work when using the quick-editor.  But, if you hit "More Reply Options" and get the full editor, you can replace them.

• 5 months later...

@@JMGNYC

Updates are rolling out and you'll soon be able to use MB2-style alpha-numeric shortcuts. Enjoy.

58bc7a2266d4f_Untitled.png

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
Sammy

I know this is an old thread and I'm not sure if I should start a new one or if this is a proper extension of the existing discussion. If I'm wrong please move it to start a new thread.

I have had my Harmony 900 set up for quite some time for use with ET. While it does great controlling the basic functions that a remote should control such as Play, Pause, Rew, FFwd, Skip, Navigation of the screens etc. it still is lacking jump functions.

I'd like to jump to various areas without scrolling through all the menus by pressing a button on the remote such as TV Series, Live TV, Recorded TV, Movies, etc. I looked here but it is only for basic Keyboard mapping. I have the 6 (or more) LED Touch Screen buttons do something in every other device (Roku, Blu-Ray Player, Echo/WMC) but for ET, this screen is highly unused with only one button to check the resolution being sent to the TV.

Is there a way to program these "hot keys"? Can I use Keyboard emulation from the standard Media Center SE command set from Logitech to do this?

TIA

Sammy

I'm wondering if everyone is too busy testing out the new mpv theater to offer assistance here? Is it even possible to program keys to jump to the various sections of ET?

Thanks.

Hi, we thank you for your patience while waiting for this to be responded to.

Sammy

Thanks Luke!

Sorry I haven't had the time to test mpv. I loaded it on my laptop but neither it nor ET work on my Laptop now ever since the first and only time I tried it. I will get back to it but I must prioritize!

I'm hoping that there's an answer to my inquiry even if it is, "No Emby doesn't do that."

Sammy

@@Luke

Is there an answer to this? If the various screens in ET can be mapped to available Alt or Win or Ctrl or Ctrl = Alt codes already available in the Microsoft Media Center SE command set for the Harmony remotes it would be real easy to implement as a soft key.

Thanks.

Edited by Sammy

• 2 weeks later...

@@Sammy, in most cases the apps are already catching these buttons (e.g. recorded tv), however they might not yet be doing anything in response to them. It is something we will look at for a future update. Thanks.

• Like 1

Sammy

@@Sammy, in most cases the apps are already catching these buttons (e.g. recorded tv), however they might not yet be doing anything in response to them. It is something we will look at for a future update. Thanks.

Thanks Luke! I just figured this was lost in the shuffle of mpv.. Being able to jump to different sections with a remote would be fantastic! Right now one must back out of one then surf around the main screen and then enter into the next section they want to be in and this change would make a great improvement to Emby Theater.

PrincessClevage

Does anyone have similar experience with remote. If a movie has been playing and say halfway through the movie and I attempt to use the remote it's like I have push several buttons and wake the USB port or something before it will start working with ET, I can see the red light on the receiver and I have checked the power settings and reinstalled ET from scratch (also the remote driver that comes with ET) I have also tried changing USB ports. Thoughts?

Edited by PrincessClevage