Can't play certain mkv files (emby for wmc)

Bigjohns97

Bigjohns97

I am having this issue where certain mkv files won't play, they come up with a real quick black screen and then go away.

I thought it had to do with multiple audio stream or something but that wasn't it.

Where can i look to find out why these files won't play, they seem to play fine in WMP.

BTW this is running Emby for WMC and playing files that are on the local drive.

Edited by Bigjohns97

Bigjohns97

This is going to come down to codec installation and configuration.

I would install just LAV.

I tried installing Shark codec pack and it didn't resolve the issue, let me try just lav.

Bigjohns97

Can you post a server log, and more details? Maybe a screenshot of the file details? 

server log and even client log don't register any errors, turning on debug shows errors but they don't pertain to the issue as they are seen with working files as well

Bigjohns97

Can you play the files in WMC as well as WMP?

this really helped me as it doesn't play in WMC but it does in WMP, i think i might have an issue with my WMC install (I am running a custom install on windows 10 1151)

I am thinking this is my problem and not emby related, thanks for the help guys.

I will post back in here just in case anyone else comes across this thread

In the past, items not playing in WMC when they would in WMP pointed to the format of the codecs installed.  WMP was a 32 bit app but WMC was 64 so the codecs in use were different and, if you don't install the additional x64 codecs then things don't work right in WMC.

Ian-Highlander

As EBR says you need to install 64bit versions of the codecs for WMC. I have both 32bit and 64bit Shark codecs installed on both my Windows 10 WMC machines and haven't had any trouble playing anything.

If you still don't have any luck, stick one of the files somewhere I can download it and I'll try it on my system and see if I have the same problems or not.

I posted a few screenshots of my Shark settings here https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/31127-windows-10-media-center-crashes-not-responding-after-playing-mor-ethan-one-file/&do=findComment&comment=301113 a while back, see if these help particularly disabling windows media foundation for MKV.

Edited by Ian-Highlander

MKV files and windows have also been a problem here on shark 007. I solved it by installing the K-Lite Codec Pack. Everything has run faultless since.