Music won't play

manf0001

Hi I'm running Embey Server 3.0.7200 and the Android Emby app 2.7.94. on my Nexus 6P

If I try to play a playlist for example.   It will play fine on the web app, but if I try to play the same one on my emby app, it will play one mp3, then it looks like it will try to play the next, but it won't it will just skip to the next one.

I've seen it where it may skip a few songs and get to the next one.    Has anyone else noticed this and a solution to it?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
braigo64

This also happens to me. Plays one song then continues skipping the next songs.  I'll try to get logs this weekend when I have some time to muck about.

braigo64

I did some testing this morning. And here is what I found:

MB Server: 3.1.190.0 beta

Android App: 2.7.89

Opened the android app, created a playlist of 7 songs (4 from one artist, 3 from another).  Clicked "shuffle" on the playlist.  It proceeded to skip through each song until it got to one, played it, and then skipped the remaining songs.  This behavior has occurred on two different android devices and it doesn't matter if you are connected to the emby server locally or remotely.  Each time you click "shuffle" on the playlist it will skip through and play one song (once out of a dozen different tests it played two songs).  It is not the same song each time and it is not the same position in the playlist.  The recent activity section in the emby server dashboard updates in real time as the songs skip in the android app. The activity says "[user] has started playing [song title]" immediately followed by "[user] stopped playing [song title]".

Interestingly I could not get emby to generate a log file when connected to the server remotely, but it did finally generate a log  file connected locally.  Here is the log file from the android app. There are no errors and it shows the first 5 songs in the playlist starting and stopping immediately (within a second or so), it plays the 6th song completely and then skips the last song.  All songs work and can be played through the web interface without issue.

braigo64

Right sorry, didn't have time to fully test when I checked.

Tonight Emby for Android updated so I took some time to test it out using the same 7 song playlist.  The app reports the playlist is 5 mins long which is completely incorrect.  I clicked on "play" and "shuffle" for the playlist a few different times. Sometimes it would play one song, other times it would play two, but never more than that.  The songs it played seemed to be random.  The attached log file contains a run through of the playlist one time, it only played song number6 of 7. I skipped to the end of the song, which accounts for the short timespan of the log for that song, however you can see the other songs start and stop within a second.  It's almost as if the app thinks the song is 0 seconds long and just carries on like that's normal.

The log can be found here.

braigo64

Albums appear to do the same thing as playlists. Played an album with 11 songs in it, only one or two songs would play and the rest would get skipped.  Attached is the log file.  In this log it played the 2nd song and skipped the others.

emby_20161022_1501.log

• 2 weeks later...
braigo64

Latest version of the app still doesn't work.  Whether I attempt to play/shuffle a playlist, an album, or an artist's songs it still skips most of them. Sometimes it skips all, sometimes it plays one.  I can play an individual song just fine, but any sort of list doesn't work.  Latest log file attached trying to play a playlist, then an album, then an artist's songs, then a single song, then a playlist again.

emby_20161103_1919.log

braigo64

Latest version still doesn't work right, but I've discovered another clue.  I noticed that the songs in the playlists and albums I've been testing are all .m4a files from itunes.  I went to an older album of .mp3 files and clicked shuffle. The app played every song.  So I did an experiment. I went to an album with .m4a songs and tried to play/shuffle the album. It skipped all or played only one of them. I then went into iTunes and converted the .m4a files into .mp3 files. I rescanned the music library in Emby server and then opened the app on my phone went to that same album and clicked shuffle. The app played through all the songs.

Now the obvious work around is to go into iTunes and convert all the .m4a files into .mp3, but that's a time consuming process and most users won't understand or want to do that.  There is some issue with Emby that it doesn't want to play a list of .m4a songs. It will play them individually with no problem, but a list via playlist or album it doesn't seem to like.

I have included a log file, the latter part shows it skipping through some Thirty Seconds to Mars m4a songs.  Then it plays those same songs in .mp3 format.  You can also see earlier in the log file it only plays one Adele song, but it plays through all the Adema songs cause those are .mp3.

emby_20161106_0818.log

If you stream m4a as mp4 with aac inside they should play. I had same problem on roku. Once i told it use mp4 instead of m4a for the container, and copy the aac stream it worked flawlessly. Same thing with mka.

Edited by speechles

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe this is just an issue of playlist management. If you manually play a track does that succeed? And then are the skips after that associated with moving to the next track? Is that what's happening?

braigo64

What happens is if I play or shuffle a playlist or album that has m4a files, the little player pops up on the bottom with the song title, acts like it's starting to play the song and then skips to the next song.  It does this all the way through the playlist or album. Moves to the next song, attempts to play, immediately stops the song in a split second and goes to the next song. Usually it will play at least one of the songs though.  So for example if you have a 5 song playlist or album with all m4a songs and you play or shuffle it what happens is it skips through the songs and possibly plays one of them.  The song it plays will be different each time.  If there are any mp3 files in the album or playlist it will always play those.  It's the m4a songs (which I've gotten from iTunes) that it seems to have trouble with.

Now, if you play the m4a songs individually they all play just fine. There is just some weird thing going on when you try to play an album or playlist that it likes to skip through them instead.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...