A web interface problem and a good usability suggestion

mmmann

Hi there. I'd like to post (1) a problem, and (2) what I think is a really good suggestion. I don't post too often, but I've been experiencing these two issues for a long time!

(1) Using Firefox with NoScript on Windows, the initial "Configure Emby" web page fails until I update the page with [F5], at which time it paints correctly and will continue to work while Firefox.exe is running. With NoScript set to allow localhost (and 127.0.0.1 and :8086, etc.) scripts, the initial page comes up blank except for the following:

${PleaseUpdateManually}

$(HowToConnectFromEmbyApps}

Emby

${LinkCommunity}

${LinkGithub}

${LinkApi}

[NoScript-Icon] http://localhost:8086/web/3.0.7200.0

I've attached a PRTSCN. This has always happened regardless of Emby version and regardless of NoScript whitelist entries. It's obviously some interaction between the :8086 Emby server and NoScript, but I haven't been able to solve it. Any ideas?

(2) A good (IMHO) suggestion for Windows: provide a "Scan Library" selection directly on Emby's right-click System Tray Icon menu.

Ninety-nine times out of a hundred, I'm entering Emby's web interface merely to re-scan my library; I often download or rip a movie and want it to show up immediately on my Samsung or in the client. As it stands, it takes quite a few mouse clicks to accomplish this. Right-click -> Configure Emby -> [F5] to refresh(!) -> Library -> Scan Library -> Yes to the modal "do it now?" dialog. Sometimes it takes even longer, as Configure Emby occasionally brings me to web/home whereby I need another two clicks to get to Manage Server.

Why not put "Scan Library" directly on the right-click System Tray Icon menu? It would be a wonderful time-saver. And make sure it assumes "yes" to that modal dialog that interferes, warning about Emby's scheduled scans. (Or, better yet, remove the dialog. I think anyone digging down to library maintenance and clicking "Scan Library" probably knows that they're invoking a manual, unscheduled scan. If we must keep that wording, just spray it on that web page rather then popping up a dialog: modal dialogs are Bad, mostly).

Well, thanks for listening. I hope these might be (1) resolved and (2) implemented.

Mike

post-3078-0-42032100-1475161332_thumb.jpg

Spaceboy

I think the devs would say they would rather solve your problems in getting real time monitoring working for you. I find the RTM generally picks up media quicker than a whole library scan

I think the devs would say they would rather solve your problems in getting real time monitoring working for you. I find the RTM generally picks up media quicker than a whole library scan

If his file system supports the realtime monitor and he has it enabled, then yes this is what we would say.

But for others who disable it or can't utilize it, they might need quicker access to scanning functions.