AMD Hardware Accelerated Transcoding

RedBaron164

• 2 weeks later...
RedBaron164

Check whether or not ffmpeg supports it. that would be the first step.

I did some searching but couldn't find anything concrete

• 6 months later...
Maximus Naxsus

I'm just curious but with regards to the currently (Experimental) support for Hardware Accelerated Transcoding is there any plans to add support for AMD's version of Quick Sync, VCE?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Coding_Engine

Just did another search regarding ffmpeg and AMD but no joy.

@anybody: Please confirm this

• 2 weeks later...
Kekskruemel

@@Luke

I would also love to see amd transcode support.

Like posted here there is a ffmpeg with amd support which is also used in other programs.

Thx & Greetings

• 3 months later...
Tur0k

+1 encoding with AMD hardware supported acceleration in windows would be a benefit IMHO for all the non-intel based users out there that need to support more than 2 transcodes (Nvenc) at a time.

Waldonnis

I know AMD or someone has been working on contributing this to ffmpeg, but I have yet to see any commits for it in the official repo (rumour has it that a big patch submission should happen quite soon).  Supposedly vaapi works, but Windows support is still MIA or only in a fork.  DS/DXVA2 decoding probably works already, but that wouldn't help the encoding side.  Personally I'd love to know more details about how well-supported the codecs are on Vega's video block.  The only info I can find is very high-level and barely talks about encoding (mentions HEVC 2160p60, but no mention of Main 10 profile support or even stuff like reference and B-frames).  Reviews all focus on gaming entirely or just touch on video playback (decoding), so they're worthless for info.

I'm hoping to see some movement on this on the ffmpeg/lav side, since AMD's new cards are out and showing promise for many tasks.  TR/Ryzen performance looks quite nice at their price points as well.  Competition and choices are good for consumers  :)

• Like 1

Tur0k

Yep, looks pretty slim picking in the M$ corral to me too. Currently, my main HTPC (windows 10 pro) is hosting my Emby server, 2 out of my 5 media shares, and acts as the HTPC front end in my HT room. It is running on an old AMD Phenom II X6 1090T (six core) CPU. I honestly, had a little trouble with it when I first built it (a firmware patch resolved it). it worked perfectly after that until I added live TV recording to it (though I have worked through 90% of that trouble.

Here, I try to alternate my PC builds, in order to encourage a healthy competitive PC market. Since my last build was a fourth gen Intel i7-4790k, I would like to give my next build to AMD when I build my ESX host. Additionally, the ThreadRipper series CPUs will come with 64 PCI-E lanes for expansion components.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Tur0k