Emby + MythTV backend + MythicalLibrarian + Kodi

mastrmind11
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

mastrmind11

Just coming off a day or so of research on the topic, I am wondering whether this setup would work. I have no windows boxes in my network, so all of the existing PVR stuff doesn't apply (and I have no real interest in trying the Tvheadend "beta" that's floating around out there, unless it's nearly bulletproof by now)...    

Does anyone have any experience with this setup?  Basically I'm thinking I would have MythicalLibrarian (no idea how well it works, just came across it an hour ago) do the meta lookup and naming, stick it into my existing Emby TV directory with the proper folder structure/naming convention, and let Emby scan, handle the indexing and serve it up.  Would I then be able to use the standard MythTV plugin for Kodi to watch Live stuff, and rely on Emby/Emby Plugin to handle watching recorded stuff? Conceptually I feel like this would work, but I'd like some feedback.  

Keep in mind, this needs to be 100% wife friendly.

Edited by mastrmind11

mastrmind11

You mean tv headend the application beta, or the emby plugin beta? I think the emby plugin works perfectly fine.

Yes, the plugin.  I got the impression that it's still pretty beta based on what I read on here, and doesn't it require moving .dll files to specific folders?  It just didn't seem very *nix esque, which is kind of why I wanted to avoid it.  Do you use it regularly?  I've read reports on the interwebs that it doesn't stack up to Myth once a cable card is added into the mix.  My HDHR is coming Friday and I intend to spend the weekend giving the setup a trial run, so any guidance is appreciated.  Thanks

• Solution

No, it's available in the server plugin catalog for easy install.

But since you're getting an HDHR you don't need a live tv plugin at all. You can just use the native HDHR support built right into Emby Server.

• Like 1

mastrmind11

No, it's available in the server plugin catalog for easy install.

But since you're getting an HDHR you don't need a live tv plugin at all. You can just use the native HDHR support built right into Emby Server.

Now I'm officially confused.  I was under the impression that Emby for Kodi doesn't support DVR functionality, just Live TV, which is why I posed the initial question/setup.  Are you saying I get this functionality out of the box as long as I have an HDHR?

mastrmind11

Nevermind.  Just did some more digging and found out the answer to my question.  This platform is really turning out to be bad-ass... best $ I've spent in quite some time.  In fact, if my testing this weekend goes well, I'll buy another Premiere membership.  Thanks @@Luke.

mastrmind11

Glad to hear it, thanks. Let us know how your testing goes.

Ok, everything up and running.

Main question:  Where is the channel guide in Kodi? I can't find it anywhere, and the channel list under Videos>Addons>Emby is far from practical.  If there isn't one,  what's the timeframe to have an implementation?  I also can't find a way to record in Kodi (I'm assuming this is related to the missing channel guide?).

Next question:  Why is Emby transcoding to my Kodi clients when watching Live TV (via the addon sub menu) while the media I've got local (tv/movies) direct play to the same device?  I don't care because I have the horsepower to do it, just curious.

As always, thanks Luke.

Edited by mastrmind11

Angelblue05

The Emby add-on doesn't support LiveTV. What is there already is experimental and is set to be moved to it's own add-on in due time. The Emby add-on is truly only for playback of your media libraries.

Here you can subscribe to this thread, since LiveTV is being worked on by marcelveldt: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/38644-experimental-live-tv-looking-good/

mastrmind11

The Emby add-on doesn't support LiveTV. What is there already is experimental and is set to be moved to it's own add-on in due time. The Emby add-on is truly only for playback of your media libraries.

Here you can subscribe to this thread, since LiveTV is being worked on by marcelveldt: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/38644-experimental-live-tv-looking-good/

That's what I feared.  Ok, following the topic.  Thanks