Feature Request: Additional 3D Support

Davidtt485
Go to solution Solved by Davidtt485,

Davidtt485

Right now i am using MakeMKV to make 3D MKV using the MVC Codec, I use Steroscopic Player as the External Player. My issue is if i just check the 3D box in the External Player Setup than nothing happens, I have to check MKV Box Too, but now there is no way to differentiate between a 3D MKV's and the 2D ones. I did tag the movie appropiately and the Server does see that it is 3D all though there is no option for MVC only HSBS, SBS, and Full SBS. Is there a way that if the movie is tagged as 3D it can trigger an External Player instead of having to go by the file Extension. I do not see any issues this would cause for ISO People as i am sure they are tagging their 3D Movies as well.

Edited by Davidtt485
  • Like 2

Just out of curiosity, @@Davidtt485, what kind of 3DTV are you using? I'm just interested in knowing how other tv's deal with 3D content. All I know of 3D tv's is my Panasonic, for which I've never needed any special software to play 3D content, but a lot of other people seem to use other software, so I wondered if I'm missing out on something... Sorry for the OT question.

Davidtt485

I use a 55" LG 7400, The TV does Passive 3D which i specifically wanted to avoid ghosting and crosstalk. The reason i have to use special software is because the 3D i am recording is Frame Packed, Not SBS OR HSBS. But this type of 3D is the only kind that can give a full 1080p Picture at 24 frames. As 3D blurays become more popular and people realize ISO's suck you will see this more and more.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Mfusick

Right now i am using MakeMKV to make 3D MKV using the MVC Codec, I use Steroscopic Player as the External Player. My issue is if i just check the 3D box in the External Player Setup than nothing happens, I have to check MKV Box Too, but now there is no way to differentiate between a 3D MKV's and the 2D ones. I did tag the movie appropiately and the Server does see that it is 3D all though there is no option for MVC only HSBS, SBS, and Full SBS. Is there a way that if the movie is tagged as 3D it can trigger an External Player instead of having to go by the file Extension. I do not see any issues this would cause for ISO People as i am sure they are tagging their 3D Movies as well.

I have the same issue.   If you could put inside [ ] something like [3D] or [3D SBS] or [3D MVC]  in the title and you could set the external player to just launch on those it would be great!

otherwise,

the other option would be can you set an external player for an entire media collection only ?    I could keep all my 3D movies in a separate folder (I do this now )

Sparrowlogins

I use a Samsung 8000 series TV with active shutter.  Please can someone clarify as I am probably wrong with the following statement but I thought that:

A 3D TV can take any 3D source and use it for 3D playback with the TV settings and can also try to convert 2D to 3D (not usually that great but ok I suppose) 

With a PC, if the software does it, the TV recognises the 3D input automatically and switches to 3D mode on it's own.

As far as I can tell, there are lots of different types of software on TV's and PC's for 3D content and not all of the software is written to the same standard,  A cheaper or lesser built 3D TV may have lesser standard software inbuilt to handle 3D content.  You may find that using differing combinations works dependant on TV Hardware and PC Hardware/Software.  If the TV has good software, then using the TV's inbuilt 3D is fine. 

You may find software on the PC, such as Arcsoft, Cyberlink or Stereoscopic player handle the 3D processing better (less crosstalk, ghosting etc.) and therefore using this method works better.

I have had a passive 3D LG TV which needed PC software to make the 3D experience it's best whereas my Samsung 8000 series is great at doing the job.  Either method enables the display of 3D content.

Please someone correct me if I am wrong, as I may be talking out of my backside.  Personal experience of the two TV types and a myriad of software testing has me convinced of the above.

On the 3D support note, it would be great to be able to choose all 3D types such as MK3D, ISO etc. and tag them so that we can send the 3D to a separate player to handle.

Edited by Sparrowlogins

Davidtt485

The software needed is purely based on the media you wish to playback, it really has nothing to do with the TV. Most 3D TV's will recognize the input of 3D movies and switch automatically. The only difference between the Samsung and the LG is the Active vs Passive. I use Stereoscopic Player as i rip 3D blu rays and do not compress them, MakeMKV turns them into Lossless MKV with the MVC codec, which besides using ISO's is the only way to get true 1080P 3D.

• Like 1

Mfusick

The software needed is purely based on the media you wish to playback, it really has nothing to do with the TV. Most 3D TV's will recognize the input of 3D movies and switch automatically. The only difference between the Samsung and the LG is the Active vs Passive. I use Stereoscopic Player as i rip 3D blu rays and do not compress them, MakeMKV turns them into Lossless MKV with the MVC codec, which besides using ISO's is the only way to get true 1080P 3D.

YUP  :D

MakeMKV can rip a 3D MKV using MVC codec.. I usually rip a 3D version and non 3D version. You need a 3D player too (TMT,  Stereoscopic, PowerDVD13 etc) as a normal video player like WMC, or VLC, or XBMC won't work.

The problem David describes is the same problem I have.

We want to be able to launch a 3D player only on 3D movies.

So that means either being able to launch a 3D capable player on an entire exclusive library (like a category or media collection of only 3D)  or being able to set it on just certain types (like only 3D MKV or 3D ISO). 

My thought was if this would be possible with a trigger in the title.  I know Mediabrowser ignores anything inside brackets like this [3D MVC] but if that could be the trigger to launch the external 3D player that would be great because all you would need to do is set up the external player and make sure your media is named properly. 

I don't want to use an external player all the time and the majority of my collection of media is not 3D.   But when I want real 3D I am forced to launch the movie manually.   That sucks.  I need to hook up a mouse and navigate to the my server to play it.  (really crappy)

Davidtt485

MakeMKV can rip a 3D MKV using MVC codec.. I usually rip a 3D version and non 3D version. You need a 3D player too (TMT,  Stereoscopic, PowerDVD13 etc) as a normal video player like WMC, or VLC, or XBMC won't work.

So that means either being able to launch a 3D capable player on an entire exclusive library (like a category or media collection of only 3D)  or being able to set it on just certain types (like only 3D MKV or 3D ISO). 

My thought was if this would be possible with a trigger in the title.  I know Mediabrowser ignores anything inside brackets like this [3D MVC] but if that could be the trigger to launch the external 3D player that would be great because all you would need to do is set up the external player and make sure your media is named properly. 

I don't want to use an external player all the time and the majority of my collection of media is not 3D.   But when I want real 3D I am forced to launch the movie manually.   That sucks.  I need to hook up a mouse and navigate to the my server to play it.  (really crappy)

Agreed and i will take it one step further as if you include [3D] in the title than mediabrowser already knows it is 3D and you can even choose what type of 3D SBS it is in the server application. In Mediabrowser Theater it recognizes it as 3D and it has a separate section for all 3D Movies. I imagine adding this feature shouldn't be too hard.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know how to solve the launching external player problem yet (or if there even is a solution at the moment), but in the absence of that, here's what I do to make it know to  only start the player on 3d files.

1) Download mkvtoolnix, if you don't already have it

2) Open mkvmerge gui

3) open an mkv of a 3d movie in it.

4) select the video track, go to the 'format specific options' tab on the bottom

5) select what type of 3d it is from the steroscopy dropdown (I think it's the second to last one - 'both eyes laced in one block (left first)' but someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

6) Press 'start muxing' button

The file that results will be an mk3d file, basically an mkv file that has a tag for what type of 3d it is. The trick that makes this work? The external player setup considers it an entirely different file, so you can set it to open mk3d but not mkv.

I don't know how to solve the launching external player problem yet (or if there even is a solution at the moment), but in the absence of that, here's what I do to make it know to  only start the player on 3d files.

1) Download mkvtoolnix, if you don't already have it

2) Open mkvmerge gui

3) open an mkv of a 3d movie in it.

4) select the video track, go to the 'format specific options' tab on the bottom

5) select what type of 3d it is from the steroscopy dropdown (I think it's the second to last one - 'both eyes laced in one block (left first)' but someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

6) Press 'start muxing' button

The file that results will be an mk3d file, basically an mkv file that has a tag for what type of 3d it is. The trick that makes this work? The external player setup considers it an entirely different file, so you can set it to open mk3d but not mkv.

I know nothing about 3d.  But since the mkv is already 3d, couldn't you just change the extension on the 3d mkv to mk3d without remuxing? 

I know nothing about 3d.  But since the mkv is already 3d, couldn't you just change the extension on the 3d mkv to mk3d without remuxing? 

possibly, that's just how I've been doing it. At the same time, if anyone else can find other programs that can open the file too, it works for TotalMedia but only sporadically, so if anyone can find a program that has better support for it (preferably free), I'd imagine we would all appreciate it.

I agree with foghat, that is what I did with all my 3D mkv's, simply rename them mk3d (without remuxing).

I don't have any packed 3D movies, just HSBS, but using mk3d as the extension gives you the opportunity to select these for external playback.

I use stereoscopicplayer (or actually the nvidia 3d vision video player, which is essentially the same) to play them and it works like a charm.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to through another spanner In the works what about cinavia if I do 1:1 3d mkvs will stereoscopic player play them or will cinavia cut the sound?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
Davidtt485

Well i tried it and as i thought, stereoscopic player does not recognize the new extension and the remuxed file, i believe it has to do with remuxing it screws with the MVC codec. I tried two different files, so yes changing the extension fixes the problem in MBT but now makes the file unplayable because it has been corrupted.

Davidtt485

Steroscopic Player plays the MKV MVC Rips made by MakeMKV, When MakeMKV rips the file it loses Cinavia protection and ANYDVD is not required as well.

Just to through another spanner In the works what about cinavia if I do 1:1 3d mkvs will stereoscopic player play them or will cinavia cut the sound?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
  • Solution
Davidtt485

So an update Renaming the File Broke HW accellerated 3d playback.... UNTIL you download and install the new stereoscopic beta which works flawlessly with the rename trick... so now i have 3d playabck working excellent without any weird hacks huge WAF

Koleckai Silvestri

If your hardware checks for Cinavia then yes, it can cut the sound.

Davidtt485

Cinavia is not carried over to the MKV format, 3D or 2D. So yes Stereoscopic will play them all fine. My whole collection are 1:1 MKV's and i have NEVER ran into Cinavia 

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

Cinavia is embedded into the digital soundtracks so impossible to remove. All Bluray players made after 2012 check for it though, it is a condition of the license. Other Sony equipment probably also checks for it.

Edited by Wayne Luke

Davidtt485

they can check for it in the native format, but i have never seen a blu ray player pick up cinavia in the MKV format. Maybe if you were to try and burn an ISO of it, but than why go to MKV in the first place.

Koleckai Silvestri

Well that is what Cinavia was created to protect. The creation and distribution of bootleg discs. A multibillion dollar industry around the world. When you play a MKV, you're not using a Bluray player. However if the protocol is implemented in a receiver or television screen, then more problems can occur. The receiver or television doesn't know if the pass-thru is from a bootleg disc or a MKV container.

If you make a bluray recording of your kids playing and there is a Cinavia protected video playing on the television with sound in the background. When you play that disc in your player, the protections will kick in. Even if it isn't a recording of the movie.

Edited by Wayne Luke