Latest Media Sort

Sireone

I reinstalled Emby 3.0.7200.0 from scratch and re-scanned my library and noticed that the 'Latest Media' that's on the Home screen is not sorted at all.  Is there anyway to get it to be sorted by file creation date like it is in Kodi?

Happy2Play

It uses Date Added.  So what is your "Date added behavior for new content:" set to?  Dashboard-Library-Advanced

It uses Date Added. So what is your "Date added behavior for new content:" set to? Dashboard-Library-Advanced

It's set to 'Use file creation date' so I'm not sure why it's displaying random media from the library.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

If you have metadata already with a date added field then that will be used instead.

Can you look at the values in the date added fields for the items (using metadata editor) and tie them to the sort?

If you have metadata already with a date added field then that will be used instead.

Can you look at the values in the date added fields for the items (using metadata editor) and tie them to the sort?

This is crazy.  There should be an option to ignore the 'Date Added' metadata as some of these values are unheard of.

57ee4d999afc2_Snap7.jpg

I see what's going on.  The metadata is based on the file's 'Created Date', not Modified.  I have verified that renaming a file, does not change the 'Modified' date, which is good.  Microsoft also uses the 'Date modified' to sort files.  Can Emby be updated to use this instead or lat least give us the option to choose one?  Doesn't seem like a difficult change.

post-82161-0-25048900-1475242673_thumb.png

I see what's going on.  The metadata is based on the file's 'Created Date', not Modified.  I have verified that renaming a file, does not change the 'Modified' date, which is good.  Microsoft also uses the 'Date modified' to sort files.  Can Emby be updated to use this instead or lat least give us the option to choose one?  Doesn't seem like a difficult change.

No, because the sort is by Date added not Date modified.  We are using the proper date data here.

This date is imported on first discovery.  After that, it is just reading the metadata.

Happy2Play

You may want to check out the TimeLord Plugin.  If you like using "Release Dates" as "Date Added"

Sireone

No, because the sort is by Date added not Date modified.  We are using the proper date data here.

This date is imported on first discovery.  After that, it is just reading the metadata.

I'm not sure that's entirely accurate.  Both Microsoft and Unix/Linux filesystem base their file time stamp on the modified date/time.  More specifically, it's based on when the 'content' of a file has been modified.  The issue with using 'Date Created' as you mentioned is that if some one copied their media to a new filesystem (e.g. migrating to different Server/NAS), each file will get a new 'Date Created' to the time when it gets copied.  Using Modified Date, the time stamp is retained.

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/2464/timestamp-modification-time-and-created-time-of-a-file 

There are 3 kind of "timestamps":

• Access - the last time the file was read
  • Modify - the last time the file was modified (content has been modified)
  • Change - the last time meta data of the file was changed (e.g. permissions)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/299648

• In all examples, the modified date and time of a file does not change unless a property of the file has changed. The created date and time of the file changes depending on whether the file was copied or moved.

Kodi also uses the files 'Modified Date' when using their 'Recently Added' feature

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=154541

Edited by Sireone

I'm not sure that's entirely accurate. 

I do believe it is accurate as Date Added == Date Created as opposed to modified :).

The thing to realize is we are not a file system and we are trying to sort by when an item was truly added to your collection - not when something was changed about that item.

The example you gave is much rarer than the opposite - which is someone modifying a video file (or other component) in some way (like adding subs or something).  This should not cause that item to become new and have a new date added because the item was not just added.

We do offer two different ways to handle this date, though as well as the ability to manually override it by editing it to provide flexibility for special situations.

Sireone

I do believe it is accurate as Date Added == Date Created as opposed to modified :).

The thing to realize is we are not a file system and we are trying to sort by when an item was truly added to your collection - not when something was changed about that item.

The example you gave is much rarer than the opposite - which is someone modifying a video file (or other component) in some way (like adding subs or something).  This should not cause that item to become new and have a new date added because the item was not just added.

We do offer two different ways to handle this date, though as well as the ability to manually override it by editing it to provide flexibility for special situations.

The point that I'm trying to make is that both Microsoft and Unix/Linux file systems honor a file's 'Modified' date as to when the actual file was created.  This time stamp will NOT change when the file is copied from file system to file system.  Using 'Date Created' as you mentioned WILL cause this to change.  You can test this now by copying a file from your library to your desktop (or any folder) then copy it back to your library.  You'll notice that the 'Date Created' gets a new date/time while 'Modified' stays the same, which is what we want to preserve. 

Hope this make a little more sense.  Take a look at the screenshot of an example of what I'm talking about.

post-82161-0-54568200-1475339897_thumb.jpg

The point that I'm trying to make is that both Microsoft and Unix/Linux file systems honor a file's 'Modified' date as to when the actual file was created.  This time stamp will NOT change when the file is copied from file system to file system.  Using 'Date Created' as you mentioned WILL cause this to change.  You can test this now by copying a file from your library to your desktop (or any folder) then copy it back to your library.  You'll notice that the 'Date Created' gets a new date/time while 'Modified' stays the same, which is what we want to preserve. 

Hope this make a little more sense.  Take a look at the screenshot of an example of what I'm talking about.

I understood.  My point was that it is much more common in our usage scenario for a file to be actually modified than it is for it to be copied to a different location and we don't want items showing up as "New" every time they are modified.

No matter what we do here, it will cause a problem for some subset of users.  So we try to handle it in the way that causes a problem for the smallest set and then offer options to handle the special cases.

Sireone

I understood.  My point was that it is much more common in our usage scenario for a file to be actually modified than it is for it to be copied to a different location and we don't want items showing up as "New" every time they are modified.

No matter what we do here, it will cause a problem for some subset of users.  So we try to handle it in the way that causes a problem for the smallest set and then offer options to handle the special cases.

Can there at least be an option for us to choose which to use?  I have over 1000 files that have the incorrect 'Date created' and I have no way of updating them to match their modified date.  

Sireone

To make matters worse, I didn't realize this issue until I migrated from Emby on Linux to Windows.  Guess what, Linux doesn't really keep track of a file's 'Creation Date', so Emby must have been using the 'Modification Date' of mtime. Why not do the same for Emby in Windows?

http://superuser.com/questions/686803/how-to-get-actual-creation-time-of-a-file-on-unix 

It also seems that I'm not the only one who's had an issue with this.

I've been trying for the last several hours to change the 'creation date' of my files without luck.  For now, I'm just asking if you can add an option below to say 'Use file modification date'.  Please! Is that possible?

post-82161-0-84679700-1475361484_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...