Subtitles and Media browser Classic

chef

Soultaker

external subs are not read by LAV and you can check if you have the option to enable it in the taskbar. Mp4 will use the Microsoft codecs if your player is windows media player unless you disable it in media foundation. You can do this with windsfiltertweaker

THAT was what i was missing thx so much dude!

newfiend
THAT was what i was missing thx so much dude!

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

I disabled .mp4 in media foundation as well. LAV would start, xy-vsfilter would start and display subs fine. However if I tried accessing MB3 from my windows 8.1 workstation with the media browser app (from the windows store) none of my files would play. .MP4 or .MKV. I had to reenable .mp4 in media foundation to get the windows 8 app working again. Can you reproduce this on your machine?

Soultaker

Nope the file in question was also a .MP4

I followed the steps outline in Jon's post.

The only extra thing I did was toggle the media foundation option.

• 2 weeks later...
all4dom

I have setup lav (audio/splitter/video) with xy-vsfilter (32 bit) and run MBT and MBC on my desktop. I have not been able to get my subs to show on screen. One thing I just noticed is that I also have haali media splitter also installed. Do I still need this splitter or could this be causing the issue of me not getting subs to work. I thought haali media splitter was to allow the mkv files to be viewed inside windows media center. I use my desktop to est everything b4 I setup the htpc, ehich I also have ceton tuner card so I don't want to mess that machine up.

Thanks guys.

Dominick

newfiend

If you are using LAV you will want to remove Haali as you will no longer need it. LAV has its own splitter for .mkv. What version of windows are you running x64 or x32bit? On my desktop PC WIN 8 X64 I have both versions of xy-vsfilter installed both x32 and x64. My .mkvs display subs fine .mp4's won't display external subs unless I disable .mp4 in media foundation first. Then lav splitter will load xy-vsfilter and display external subs. (.srt etc..)

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

I have both versions of xy-vsfilter installed both x32 and x64.

That was one of the keys for me in getting my subs working, had to have x64 for MBC and x32 for MBT.

• Like 1

AdrianW

...can't get them working with .mp4 and external .srt subs. Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

I've always had an issue with invalid mp4 files (i.e. mp4 files that contain mp3 audio) - I just remux the mp4 into mkv and the subs work.

External subs for valid mp4 files (containing AAC audio) work OK.

• Like 1

Starkadius

For those of you having trouble playing subtitles with MP4 files, I had this issue too a while back and well as suggested you can disable the media foundation for MP4 but this in turn will break modern IE and the mediabrowser 8.1 app from playing back videos.

I started using a tool called MetaFox that you can drag and drop as many MP4s as you want and it will put it in a MKV container. It creates a copy of the original so you can at least try and see how it works for you. This will allow LAV or FFDShow to take over and subtitles work while at the same time not breaking media foundation support. This is the only solution I was able to find that allowed everything to work together harmoniously on a Windows 8/8.1 machine.

52f327152ae3a_252014100826PM.jpg

Edited by Starkadius
  • Like 1

moviefan

Is xy-vsfilter necessary with LAV and embedded subs?

All mine seem to play so far without it.  Any reason to add it?

newfiend

For those of you having trouble playing subtitles with MP4 files, I had this issue too a while back and well as suggested you can disable the media foundation for MP4 but this in turn will break modern IE and the mediabrowser 8.1 app from playing back videos.

I started using a tool called MetaFox that you can drag and drop as many MP4s as you want and it will put it in a MKV container. It creates a copy of the original so you can at least try and see how it works for you. This will allow LAV or FFDShow to take over and subtitles work while at the same time not breaking media foundation support. This is the only solution I was able to find that allowed everything to work together harmoniously on a Windows 8/8.1 machine.

52f327152ae3a_252014100826PM.jpg

Thanks for the tips. I also had the same issue with the windows store 8.1 app not working after disabling .mp4 in media foundation. I had to revert the setting to get it working again. I haven't tried it again since the latest update to the app though. Most of my movie collection is in .mkv so I don't have an issue with subtitles much. If I do I just container swap to a .mkv with handbrake.

As for the post from moviefan.. if you have embedded subtitles you won't need xy-vsfilter. xyvsfilter is used to display external subtitle files like .srt etc. since your subs are "embedded" in the video there would be no need to install xy-vsfilter unless you want support for external subtitles files but keep in mind that if your movie file is in a .mp4 container the external subtitle file might not load and play. It works great with .mkv though.

newfiend~

all4dom

I will give it a shot & move Hali splitter & make sure I have both versions of xy-vsfilter installef. My subs are external & I know they work because I tried it in bloc player so the file is good & also my files are mkv's.

moviefan

I will give it a shot & move Hali splitter & make sure I have both versions of xy-vsfilter installef. My subs are external & I know they work because I tried it in bloc player so the file is good & also my files are mkv's.

If your files are all MKVs and you have subs why not just remux them and make them embedded subs?  Too many files like this or some other reason?

all4dom

OK, got subs to work in mbc. I removed haali splitter and installed both versions of xy-vsfilter. It does not work ion MBT though. Now my only question is how can I shut the subs if I don't want them in in mbc?

Thanks

Dom

all4dom

@ deohmos-are you running both ffdshow (latest tryouts) and lav (full version) with xy-vsfilter on the same machine with mediacontrol? I thought two codec pack could not be installed on the same machine.

Deihmos

I don't use vsfilter. I have ffdshow audio and video decoder with the lav splitter only with mediacontrol. I can't use mediacontrol with lav decoders and the developer of mediacontrol has said that lav doesn't have an api to make it work. I don't install the lav decoders but mediacontrol will still work if I did install it.

buddyweiser

I've started re-encoding the MP4 files with subtitles directly rendered to video, as the only subtitles I have need of are for the foreign speaking parts. However, there are more than I previously thought that need to be encoded :unsure:

moviefan

I've started re-encoding the MP4 files with subtitles directly rendered to video, as the only subtitles I have need of are for the foreign speaking parts. However, there are more than I previously thought that need to be encoded :unsure:

If you don't mind having MKV files I suggest just using MKVMerge and muxing the files together to make an MKV with forced subs.  It will be MUCH quicker than re-encoding and you don't have to mess with the video.

• Like 1

AdrianW

If you don't mind having MKV files I suggest just using MKVMerge and muxing the files together to make an MKV with forced subs.  It will be MUCH quicker than re-encoding and you don't have to mess with the video.

This is a  MUCH better idea than re-encoding video - and by much quicker we're talking a matter of seconds to remux (the only thing affecting speed here is the speed your hard drive can read and write the files).

And remuxing with mkvmerge is extremely easy - open mvkmerge, drag in an mp4 file, click Start Muxing and you're done. You can optionally also drag in the subtitle file, and mux that into the mkv at the same time.

Edited by AdrianW

buddyweiser

I actually prefer having MP4 files, as almost all of my library is already MP4, and the xbox doesnt play mkv files. I've always tried to stay away from them to be honest. Besides, once I've finished re-encoding all the movies in my library, I wont have to bother with them again as I've begun ripping new movies to directly render forced subs to video.

Search for a application called "tsmuxer" I believe that it will de-mux and mux media files into mp4.

I also seem to remember mkvmerge somehow muxing to mp4 but I could be wrong.

AdrianW

I actually prefer having MP4 files, as almost all of my library is already MP4, 

Try just re-encoding the audio to AAC and leave the original video. I've found that external subs work fine with mp4 as long as the audio track isn't something that doesn't belong in an mp4 container like mp3 or ac3 audio.

Main benefit of keeping the subs separate - when you notice a spelling mistake, it's really easy to fix in a text file. It also allows you to replace the subs with another language (for your foreign friends) or even hearing impaired subs if older family members need them.