Subtitles and Media browser Classic

chef

We may want to pin this to another thread abo, but thanks to our good friend @@Jon over at theHTPC.net we can now get subtitles working in Media Browser Classic.

Here:

http://www.thehtpc.net/htpc-tips-and-tweaks/media-center-lav-filters-and-external-subtitles/

In this article Jon talks about using LAV filters and xy-VSFilter to get subtitles rolling in Windows Media Center and Media Browser Classic. It just so happens that these are the same filters that are installed when you install the Media Browser Theater.

I should mention that while the codecs are probably installed on your computer already if you have installed the theater, I found I had to download and install the latest version of XY-VSFilters from Jons article to get subtitles working in Media Browser Classic.

I was very happy to see the subtitles start working right away.

Big thanks to Jon and this great article,  I can now understand what the weird, giant, blue smurfs are saying to each other in Avatar.

• Like 1

Did you make sure you have installed xy-vsfilter (86) if you are on an (86) machine or (64) if you are on a 64 machine?

Also make sure that you have choosen "use merit" when configuring which codecs to use in the Win7DsFilter_tweaker application.

These were mistakes I made and when I fixed them the subtitles worked.

Let me know how it goes.

Chef,

buddyweiser

I configured the Win7DsFilter app exactly as he said. I have a x64 system, though I don't know how to verify that I have x64version of xy-vsfilter installed...

newfiend

Hey Buddyweiser.

I may be able to help a bit as I just got this working on my own system.

You need to check your OS to see what version of Windows you have. You can either have a x32bit or x64bit version.

If you previously installed this and are unsure what version you currently have I would recommend you uninstall it from control panel > Programs and Features > xy-vsfilter then click uninstall.

Now..

Click Start, Right click on Computer select Properties.

In the window that opens under System it will tell you if it's a 32 bit or 64 bit version of Windows. This is important as you need to know this so you download and install the correct version of xy-vsfilter.

After you know what version of Windows you have, go here: http://code.google.com/p/xy-vsfilter/wiki/Downloads?tm=2

Under Stable release select the correct version either x32bit or x64bit of xy-vsfilter depending on your OS version. Click Download Installer for your OS Version and Install it per the instructions above at the http://www.thehtpc.net/htpc-tips-and-tweaks/media-center-lav-filters-and-external-subtitles/

You will notice that in print under the downloads it states "Users of 64-bit Windows are recommended to download the 32-bit version of xy-VSFilter for best compatibility."

I have x64 bit version of Windows 7 and installed the x32 bit version as it was recommended above, however I did not get any subtitles in MB3 Classic in WMC.

I removed the x32 version by opening programs and features in control panel and uninstalling it.

I then installed the x64 bit version of xy-vsfilter and my subtitles now work.

I then went here : http://assassinhtpcblog.com/wmcandmbsetup/#guide101 and clicked on Toggling Subtitles On and Off

Installed MCERemotePlus v1.3 (free) and then programmed a button on my Harmony Remote to be able to toggle the subtitles on and off with my remote. Works sweet.

HTH,

newfiend~

Deihmos

Am I the only one that uses Media Control? I have yet t find anything as flawless as it for subtitles and it also enables ff, rewind and chapter support for mkv files. It works perfect with any remote.

52db3200ac686_5.jpg

Edited by Deihmos
  • Like 1

Deihmos

Mediacontrol can be downloaded here. You need to use ffdshow as the video decoder.  You need to first configure mediacontrol for the plugin to work and when installing mediacontrol don't enable any of the media center entries. It isn't necessary. For me I installed

ffdshow x64

lav splitter x64

mediacontrol x64

Edited by Deihmos

buddyweiser

Does the plugin work on extenders(x360)? I uninstalled the xyvsfilter and reinstalled x64 version and it still doesnt work...

Deihmos

I don't use extenders but I am sure it would not work. Is it even possible to get subs on the Xbox? I thought using wmc on the Xbox was just too slow

I just read subtitles will only work on the 360 if they are hard coded.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Edited by Deihmos

newfiend

Deihmos, I see you have lav splitter and ffdshow installed. Did you only install the splitter or all of lav as well (video/audio)? My last adventure with ffdshow (years ago) messed up WMC and I had to do a reinstall to fix it. I have had good luck using LAV codecs so far and everything is working fine, however being able to ff and rew .mkv is appealing. I don't want to mess it up now as its working pretty well.

as far as no subtitles go for buddyweiser in MB3 server users > (select your account) > Preferences tab did you set the video playback settings? Also what type of files are you trying to play .mkv or other?

Deihmos

I only installed the splitter but it doesn't matter. You can install everything then use windsfilter to specify the codec that is used. I don't install codec packs and I think it is near impossible to mess anything up by installing ffdshow. All you do is enable subtitles in ffdshow. You can actually use lav for audio but need ffdshow for video.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

buddyweiser

I'm trying to play mp4 files with external srt subtitles. LAV used to show up in the taskbar when I put on a movie, but now something happened and nothing shows up when I put on a movie...idk if it has to do with all of this configuration that I've been attempting or what :(

Deihmos

external subs are not read by LAV and you can check if you have the option to enable it in the taskbar. Mp4 will use the Microsoft codecs if your player is windows media player unless you disable it in media foundation. You can do this with windsfiltertweaker

Edited by Deihmos
  • Like 1

buddyweiser

Yes, I have that checked. I confirmed when I followed the tutorial in the original post in this thread. Not a silly question though, there are plenty of little things that you'd never think of that could cause problems.

newfiend

Ok man.. I figured this out with a bit of help from Deihmos posts above (thanks for the assist and info btw)

Buddyweiser.. Give this a go and let me know if it works for you. I have this working on external subtitles (.srt) now.

It wasn't working for me either on .mp4 files. It works just fine on .mkv (which is most of my movie collection in contained in).

What I did to fix this for .mp4 is..

Download and run Win7DSFilterTweaker 5.9

Select Media Foundation button.

Under Media Foundation (64bit) ##

Check mark .mp4 box and click apply. Then Close.This allows Lav Splitter to take over playing .mp4 content instead of Microsoft's Media Foundation. When Lav Splitter takes over it loads up xy-vsfilter for subs and plays them.

That should fix your issue.

newfiend~

Edited by newfiend

buddyweiser

I give up on subtitles. I've tried everything and I can't get them to work. I'm just going to setup VLC player as an external player in MBT and run my pc directly to the tv :angry:

newfiend

Wow, Sorry you couldn't get it working. I was able to get them working after adjusting the Media Foundation setting. However tonight I found that if I tried to play a movie in the Windows 8 app from MB3 it wouldn't play. I had to revert the .mp4 setting in Media Foundation to get the MB3 Win 8 app working again. Hopefully this gets worked out in future updates.. Sorry I couldn't help you more. 

newfiend~

Deihmos

That's the thing about WMC. It requires some setup to get it working. What are you using for subtitles? Lav cannot play external subs. If you are interested I can write p exactly what I do to get subs and everything working.

what MB3 Win 8 app are you referring to?

Edited by Deihmos

newfiend

I am using xy-vsfilter for subs, as is buddyweiser. Problem he's having is he's using .mp4 files with external subs. LAV works great at loading xy-vsfilter for subs with .mkv but won't with .mp4. I was able to get them working disabling .mp4 in media foundation, then when I play a mp4 LAV loads, loads up xy-vsfilter and displays the subtitles. All my other media browser clients still work with this configuration (media browser on my phone, media browser theater, media browser classic all work) but on my windows 8.1 machine if I try and launch the media browser app (from the windows store) it wouldn't play any file either .mp4 or .mkv. I changed the setting for .mp4 back in media foundation and then it worked again. I hope that makes more sense. I guess xy-vsfilter has a problem loading external subs with .mp4 files.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

newfiend

I don't really have a problem with my config right now as most of my files are .mkv. However buddyweiser can't get them working with .mp4 and external .srt subs.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk