Live TV Channel Groups

mickeyfinn

Dibbes
9 hours ago, pir8radio said:

where are you seeing this?   I'm not seeing it...    just looking in a web browser under collections. 

it's gone in .21...

It was under a movie library and collections there.

4 minutes ago, Dibbes said:

it's gone in .21...

I'm on .21 and I see them under (movie) collection library and LiveTV > Collections.

gillmacca01

I have not created any live tv collections, but they are appearing under normal collections (UK, US, US Local,, etc).

I have now deleted them, and waiting to see if they reappear 

pir8radio
13 hours ago, neik said:

I'm on .21 and I see them under (movie) collection library and LiveTV > Collections.

13 hours ago, gillmacca01 said:

I have not created any live tv collections, but they are appearing under normal collections (UK, US, US Local,, etc).

I have now deleted them, and waiting to see if they reappear 

I must be dense and missing something lol, or I don't see the same thing as you..   I went into move then the "collections" tab...  I don't have a separate  "collections" library., though there is one listed in my libraries under settings...  humm...    I don't have is shut of in user profiles, must be shut off somewhere else..   But I can still see movie only collections when I navigate to Movies/Collections tab     I do not see IPTV collections there.   

image.thumb.png.958ec3f4cca3ddcf2d88b88787fca1f7.png

image.png.5e9bb4ea901cdebd930cf740da49d9c3.png

3 minutes ago, pir8radio said:

I don't have is shut of in user profiles, must be shut off somewhere else.

Have a look at the Home Screen settings of the user, there is a checkbox that controls whether collections are shown as library or not.

4 minutes ago, pir8radio said:

But I can still see movie only collections when I navigate to Movies/Collections tab     I do not see IPTV collections there.   

What if you go to LiveTV, don't you have collections tab there?

You are using the WebUI, right?

Folks - please have implementation or issue discussions in threads other than the FR topic.

Thanks.

pir8radio
Just now, ebr said:

Folks - please have implementation or issue discussions in threads other than the FR topic.

Thanks.

Didn't even notice...  🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 9 months later...

Dude give me a break 3 years later and still no proper “groups”. Sub at nextpvr implemented this feature in a single day back in the day. Dont let these people bs you. Its not done simply because they dont want to. It dont need to be any future update or any of that its simply a matter of parsing the m3u. And thats why i dont give any money to these fools not when there are free options that do more for free. Emby is a joke. The whole idea is to cut the cord and save money not add another montly bill! 

Edited by racerx

BillOatman
47 minutes ago, racerx said:

Dude give me a break 3 years later and still no proper “groups”. Sub at nextpvr implemented this feature in a single day back in the day. Dont let these people bs you. Its not done simply because they dont want to. It dont need to be any future update or any of that its simply a matter of parsing the m3u. And thats why i dont give any money to these fools not when there are free options that do more for free. Emby is a joke. The whole idea is to cut the cord and save money not add another montly bill! 

You are oversimplifying it some. NextPVR doesn't run (or at least didn't, I haven't seen it for a while) on multiple hardware platforms.  Both server and the myriad of client boxes whose UI coding is all different for Emby so it is more complex to implement and release.  That being said, it has been a very long time for what I believe is a fairly desirable feature.  Me personally I really don't care.  I setup live TV with a handful of channels for my out-of-the-house kids to access, and I use TiviMate for live TV.  I use Emby for movies, TV series etc. from files.  You might try Jellyfin.  It's free and open source.  I don't think they have liveTV groups either yet but I could be wrong.  And if not, you could help getting it implemented.

Edited by BillOatman

34 minutes ago, BillOatman said:

You are oversimplifying it some. NextPVR doesn't run (or at least didn't, I haven't seen it for a while) on multiple hardware platforms.  Both server and the myriad of client boxes whose UI coding is all different for Emby so it is more complex to implement and release.  That being said, it has been a very long time for what I believe is a fairly desirable feature.  Me personally I really don't care.  I setup live TV with a handful of channels for my out-of-the-house kids to access, and I use TiviMate for live TV.  I use Emby for movies, TV series etc. from files.  You might try Jellyfin.  It's free and open source.  I don't think they have liveTV groups either yet but I could be wrong.  And if not, you could help getting it implemented.

Nextpvr does run on multiple platforms and it is web based as well. Jellyfin also seems to suffer from lack of channel groups as well (just came from there) There seems to be a reason they are shying away from this feature and i think i know why. I think its a “cover your ass” thing as they dont want to somehow be associated with illegal iptv streams. But in doing so are alienating those people that use legit m3u’s. And if that isnt the reason then id like to know what is. Emby is a “pay for” service and its customers ive seen on here want some answers. And id like to know as well. This has been going on for years now im calling em out. Lets see if the result will be the predictable typical “ban” or removal of post instead of answering the question. 

Edited by racerx

2 hours ago, racerx said:

Dude give me a break 3 years later and still no proper “groups”

Hi.  This feature is completed.  We have support for groups but they are just called "tags" (as they are in some other similar products).

BillOatman
3 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  This feature is completed.  We have support for groups but they are just called "tags" (as they are in some other similar products).

To be fair to both of you, he said "proper" groups.  My personal opinion is the tagging solution is more of a Band-Aid than a proper grouping solution. Are there plans to take the grouping further at this time, or is tagging considered the final (as final as any software is anyway) grouping solution for Emby?

Spaceboy
14 minutes ago, BillOatman said:

To be fair to both of you, he said "proper" groups.  My personal opinion is the tagging solution is more of a Band-Aid than a proper grouping solution. Are there plans to take the grouping further at this time, or is tagging considered the final (as final as any software is anyway) grouping solution for Emby?

made the same point in another thread last week. While it can be ticked off as implemented its a fairly weak implementation and i doubt adds much value to anyones emby experience.

if i want to find something on now or shortly on a sports channel its still much easier for me for me to page down 30 pages and find it in the grid than navigate up to the tags tab, select the right tag group, which includes any photos tagged with "sports" too because obviously that still hasnt been fixed 🤦‍♂️, then try and find the right channel, despite the channel logos for the main sports channels being practically identical. and if its on in the future 🤷‍♂️

36 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

if i want to find something on now or shortly on a sports channel its still much easier for me for me to page down 30 pages and find it in the grid than navigate up to the tags tab, select the right tag group, which includes any photos tagged with "sports" too because obviously that still hasnt been fixed 🤦‍♂️, then try and find the right channel, despite the channel logos for the main sports channels being practically identical. and if its on in the future

As I pointed out in that same thread, you can filter the guide with tags.

So I don't understand what is missing here.  What is "improper" about this implementation?

47 minutes ago, ebr said:

So I don't understand what is missing here.  What is "improper" about this implementation?

For proper groups and tags implementation, I could tell you where to look at 😉 

• Like 1

BillOatman

I just went back 6 pages and reread to the present as it had been a while.  And just 6 pages goes back quite a distance in calendar time in this thread.  The tagging solution would seem to be the "final" direction for Emby, answering my own question above.  Based on my reading, it is considered consistent across all aspects of Emby, Movies, TV Series and so on. A case could certainly be made for that logic. But live TV really is not the same as watching recorded things like movies.  "Improper" may be the wrong word.  More like incomplete or awkward even might be better.  TiviMate was mentioned earlier in the thread a few times.  That's what I use for watching live TV.  Right now like I mentioned, I have just a few channels setup in live TV for Emby for my remote kids to use and I'm satisfied with that.  In a perfect world, to me, I'd prefer Tivimates guide interface to tags.  But I also understand that Tivimate runs on Android TV, not on a web interface, Roku, AppleTV, Samsung and other TVs, and everything else under the sun that Emby supports.  And a radical shift like that in the UI just for live TV  would be a pretty monumental effort.  And one not likely undertaken if live TV is not what the bulk of Emby users use Emby for (or course it is possible that the reason for that might be the current live TV UI as well).  

I have no skin in this game any more, just a interested observer.  Like others, I switched from Plex to Emby when Plex made IPTV the ugly stepchild.  I stay with Emby because I consider the support much better here even though I was frustrated with the live TV UI enough that when I saw Tivimate I immediately switched to it as my main TV program. 

People should recognize too that Emby is at the end of the day a commercial enterprise.  Sometimes the difficult decisions need to be made as to where to apply the development resources.  This would appear to me to be a case where the "good enough" choice was made, realizing that to some, it would not be.  If it's just one device watching, I highly recommend Tivimate.  If you need to serve up live TV to multiple people your options are limited.  You could setup tags and make it the best it can be.  Or if you really are ambitious look to something like Jellyfin that is open source.  If you could drum up enough desire (and developers/testers), it might be possible there.  But like I said it is a big effort.  

Forgive the novel above :)    But it would seem that it is what it is.  

Edited by BillOatman

35 minutes ago, BillOatman said:

to me, I'd prefer Tivimates guide interface to tags

As far as I can tell, our tag implementation is identical to their "groups".  You can filter both the channel list and the guide by them in either interface.  What is the radical difference that I'm missing?

BillOatman
19 hours ago, ebr said:

As far as I can tell, our tag implementation is identical to their "groups".  You can filter both the channel list and the guide by them in either interface.  What is the radical difference that I'm missing?

???  In Emby I believe (but I haven't looked for a while) you press a ellipsis to get a screen where you [de]select check boxes for the tags you wish filtered, press a Done button, and you go back to the guide after it is rendered again ... awkward and somewhat slow.  I think anyone who has used TiviMate or anything similar has gotten used to the way you can quickly switch groups to get just the channels of that group without all the extra steps.   That may not seem like a radical difference to you, but to people who tend to channel surf a lot (and I am a poster child for that) as well as people used to the cleaner style of other applications,  it is.

That being said trying to get the Roku to do that, as 1 example,  would likely be the stuff of nightmares.  More advanced hardware should be possible, though not a quick hit.

Edited by BillOatman

23 hours ago, ebr said:

Ok lets make this simple why all the tags and run-around for a simple thing like groups? Why all the extra bs for this? Why not just simple editable groups like any other pay or free software? Why confuse customers with all this extra config stuff and wording terminology? why not make it so its user friendly? Call a group a group. Im getting ready to try this out and ill get back to you to see exactly what you are meaning with the tags thing and if groups really are in the software just called by another name "tags" Lets take a looksy here shall we?

@BillOatmani cancelled my tivimate sub cause i couldnt use my hdhomerun for my local OTA channels and the movies and tv shows groups didnt show any info or icons about what was currently being listed such as IMdb info stuff. The program is great i like the autoplay feature so it goes to next episode automatically and the live tv channels playback is fast and you can record but outside of that the software isnt quite there yet.  

Edited by racerx

Currently emby tags are nowhere near as good as groups for tivimate, I have been looking for something else to use for a front end to replace the emby app and think I found it. Using implayer the UI is just the fresh look I been looking for and sense I have a lifetime emby I can add emby server to it and use the implayer as my front end that has a better look to it so now I get the best of both worlds. The implayer also has a login portal I like it, give it a try and see what you guys think.

6 hours ago, JaconJR said:

Currently emby tags are nowhere near as good as groups for tivimate, I have been looking for something else to use for a front end to replace the emby app and think I found it. Using implayer the UI is just the fresh look I been looking for and sense I have a lifetime emby I can add emby server to it and use the implayer as my front end that has a better look to it so now I get the best of both worlds. The implayer also has a login portal I like it, give it a try and see what you guys think.

What about the emby channel groups do you think needs improvement?

17 hours ago, racerx said:

if groups really are in the software just called by another name "tags" Lets take a looksy here shall we?

Hi.  That is exactly what it is.  Our tags function exactly like their groups and, in fact, are automatically created from groups in the channel list if they exist.

The reason we call them tags is because we are not just a TV front end.  We are an entire media system and we already have tags for other media.  It didn't make any sense to create the exact same thing and call it something else in TV.

What I'm hearing in this discussion is our implementation is fine but we need to improve the speed and ease of switching between tags (groups) in the guide.  I'm also hearing that there isn't a requirement or desire to see channel lists that consist of multiple groups as the interface that was suggested does not allow this (ours does).  Is that accurate for everyone?

• Agree 1

BillOatman
22 hours ago, racerx said:

@BillOatmani cancelled my tivimate sub cause i couldnt use my hdhomerun for my local OTA 

You can actually. I wrote a program that interrogates your homerun and creates a m3u file.  You only need to run it once, unless you rescan.  I use a free app called IPTVBoss (currently not allowing more users until a new release comes out) to attach EPG data to those locals.

HdHomerunM3U-WIN- Windows application that creates a m3u file for your HDHomeRun device.

HdHomerunM3U-OSX

HdHomerunM3U-UBU

HdHomerunM3U-LIN64

Edited by BillOatman