Live TV Channel Groups

mickeyfinn

poodragon

Hi,

Wow. some serious drama up in this forum.  No thanks.  Can we get back to the issue at hand?
The issue I have is I paid for premium service of Emby for my server and my Android TV and I can't use IPTV.

I've loaded up my M3u for IPTV and noticing there is no channel groups... which means IPTV on Emby is useless unless you have maybe.. 40 channels total.

Seeing as I came here from the fact PLEX doesnt have IPTV option.. leaving Emby as the obvious go-to.. why is this issue taking so long to be addressed?
Very few IPTV users have less than thousands of channels.  The easiest way to alleviate this issue is simply to have the ability to browse based on provider groups. 

When I do some digging I see this issue is over 3 years old and it's been said "it's coming" and "soon" for almost the entire time.  Forgive me for thinking this, but why can't you provide an actual ETA of some kind?

Asking for money to use the IPTV service is fine, not being able to provide basic IPTV functionality is not. 

Please for the love of all things good,  provide channel groups so users don't have to utilize xteve or whatever else I need to learn and do and don't have the time to do so.

Sure customizing the playlist and all would be really cool features to have and would love to see them in the future.  But for now, you really and I mean REALLY need to add the ability to see the m3u as the provider has set it up... with groups. 

• Thanks 1

Hi.  We are not an "IPTV app" and do not try to position ourselves that way.  One of the many features of Emby Premiere is access to Live TV and one source of that is via an m3u.

We are working on improvements to that experience right now.

Thanks.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

poodragon
18 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  We are not an "IPTV app" and do not try to position ourselves that way.  One of the many features of Emby Premiere is access to Live TV and one source of that is via an m3u.

Thanks.

Thanks for the quick response. 
I've seen answers like this and you've been working on it since 2017... so just trying to nail down a tiny bit of expectation from the user perspective.
I'm sure this comes off as negative, but really just want to know if I should be giving up and coming back in a year.. or a month.  I'm sure others are very interested in a possible delivery date as well.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, ebr said:

Thanks.

Yes, but not even via  hd home run or local decoder is possible grouping channels...so in this case it would be appropriate to specify the major limitation faced by those who sign a premium emby account to take advantage of live TV

1 hour ago, Davicom said:

Yes, but not even via  hd home run or local decoder is possible grouping channels...

That is not a standard practice with tuners like the HDHR.  That tuner doesn't have any grouping features either.

However, we are working on this functionality so that you can create  your own groupings.

20 hours ago, EODCrafter said:

You can stop your rush to get this done for me...My Provider is removing access to M3U Links so this and xTeVe will be useless.

Hey guys, didn't you get the news? 

We are stopping development of the channel groups feature. He doesn't need it anymore...

Edited by softworkz
  • Haha 3

poodragon
3 minutes ago, softworkz said:

Hey guys, didn't you get the news? 

We are stopping development of the channel groups feature. He doesn't need it anymore...

Not going to lie... you made me smile.  But please make me smile everyday by bringing groups before Christmas.  Be Santa like and magical and stuff.

58 minutes ago, poodragon said:

Not going to lie... you made me smile.  But please make me smile everyday by bringing groups before Christmas.  Be Santa like and magical and stuff.

I understand that those polished formal statements are not really likeable. I also understand the somewhat unfortunate history that this subject has undergone over the past years.

But try to see it from the other side - what to say?

Would we say, "more than a month but less than a year", it would appear like we'd be joking with users.
Would we say "second next month for sure" to keep users' hopes high, we could fall down badly in case we'd fail to deliver.
Would we say "next summer" to be on the very safe side, this would be a big disappointment for many and it wouldn't even matter when we would be done earlier.

I thought about saying something like "I believe in Santa" - but that would have still been wrong in the same way as it would be like promising to have it ready by xmas. I might have become a punching ball during holidays, not to speak about all the disappointment this would have caused. 

It turns out that - sadly - the only reasonable and responsible answer is of that kind like the one that @ebr has given above. 

Though, there's one thing I can assure: We have that. It exists. It's not just a number of words on a task list (please refer to mine and  @cayars's recent posts).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

a proposal for this title topic: "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here"

joking aside, how are we doing? can you give us some good news soon?

• Haha 1

this would be a great additional feature when using livetv with m3u files that have 100+ channels, option for grouping channels according to genre and option to show only the favorite channels. praying this would be added soon. as of now, on apple tv, the tabs only displays Programs, Guide, Channels, Recordings, Schedule, Series, Search. In my situation, our iptv is homebrew, we have no epg so guide, recordings, schedule and series isn't usable at the moment, but would really love to have sub option for the Channels tabs, to be able to set to display all channels, only favorites and or if you could add the ability to set a genre for each channels that is in the m3u file so that there can also be a channel group option based on the channel genre like, news, sports, etc.

• 1 month later...
Pseibold

I realize development is slow process with a lot of testing, etc.  I also know you can't always dictate innovation and coding either.

Any updates on how things are progressing?  

22 minutes ago, Pseibold said:

I realize development is slow process with a lot of testing, etc.  I also know you can't always dictate innovation and coding either.

Any updates on how things are progressing?  

This has been completed long ago.

A few other things are still in progress, though.

All I can say is: It will be big, it will be great, and it's worth the wait.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, softworkz said:

Well, the foundation is complete.  There is still work to do in all the apps.

pir8radio
2 hours ago, softworkz said:

A few other things are still in progress, though.

All I can say is: It will be big, it will be great, and it's worth the wait.

image.png.77aefe85d27ebc07f8da70b2a7db9231.png

Just being funny,   I'm excited...   But I don't like waiting..  🙂 

Edited by pir8radio
  • Haha 2

LOL - What should I say...

I'm just adapting. Over the past 4 years, I've learned that this is the way to talk to you Americans 😎

• Haha 3

pir8radio
36 minutes ago, softworkz said:

LOL - What should I say...

I'm just adapting. Over the past 4 years, I've learned that this is the way to talk to you Americans 😎

lol, you said it fine...  I just saw "it will be great" and that came to mind..     We are all excited to see the live tv work...   🙂 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, pir8radio said:

lol, you said it fine...  I just saw "it will be great" and that came to mind..  

I realize that I should better put the word "great" under quarantine until a political vaccine has been found and applied. 

16 minutes ago, pir8radio said:

We are all excited to see the live tv work...   🙂 

So am I about getting into public beta very soon!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, softworkz said:

So am I about getting into public beta very soon!

Hehe, and I can stop getting PMed for more information about it. :)