Live TV Channel Groups

mickeyfinn

Robsta86

I think looking into agile working wouldn't be a bad idea ... Release something small as soon as it is finished and keep releasing new features when they're done.

Think that will keep the users happy and you'll receive more feedback along the way, allowing you to make an even better product.

Also being open on what you're working on would probably help. Users aren't happy now and it's not hard to see why... 

I think you're lucky there aren't any real alternatives out there just yet.

• Thanks 1

EODCrafter
5 minutes ago, cayars said:

Put on your reading glasses and read about all the dev work being done. LOL
Love and respect your posts on the forums, but think you missed the boat on this one.

You can complain this type of thing wasn't done a year ago and I won't argue that position and might agree, but now that it's in active development, in alpha testing and nearing beta testing I don't concur at all.

There is nothing more any Emby team person can say, except this deliverable is not a customer wish lists, it's not only an idea, not just a plan, not just a design spec, not just a dev guide, but has been developed and is in alpha testing with about a dozen fellow users selected from the forums with "unique requirements" to push and test features who are testing and have been for a few months. Yes there are non employees actively testing both the UI and the playback pipeline.  The team is trying to cover many issues people have had. Feedback is taken, software adjusted, restesting happens. This will CONTINUE until the devs and users think we have a very powerful system that is easy to setup and use.

Why all the Hate?

3 minutes ago, EODCrafter said:

Why all the Hate?

Really? After writing this:

36 minutes ago, EODCrafter said:

Maybe I should go and make a bad review on the Google Play Store for the Emby....

I was about to respond that the first four words were good, but I chose to refrain..

What do you think you could achieve with that?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, EODCrafter said:

Why all the Hate?

No hate.  It's all love on this side.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

EODCrafter
11 minutes ago, softworkz said:

Really? After writing this:

I was about to respond that the first four words were good, but I chose to refrain..

The Bad Review was AFTER all the Hate.

fu11circ1e

Its great to see that this feature is almost with us. Thumbs up to the Devs and all the Emby team you are doin a great job! 

9 minutes ago, cayars said:

It's all love on this side.

Its all love on my side as well :D

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, softworkz said:

1 minute ago, EODCrafter said:

Your only achievement for today is that you delayed TV development by 10 minutes..  🙂 🙂 🙂 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, EODCrafter said:

Hate, what hate?

1 hour ago, EODCrafter said:

Maybe I should go and make a bad review on the Google Play Store for the Emby....

In your mind is this better than communicating with Emby team about your needs?

1 hour ago, Robsta86 said:

I think looking into agile working wouldn't be a bad idea ... Release something small as soon as it is finished and keep releasing new features when they're done.

This kind of workflow makes sense in many cases, especially when you have an interested and active community behind. But it's not always the best option or sometimes not even  possible at all. There are various approaches and strategies for agile software development, but none of them implies that you will be able to provide public betas every one or two weeks where most things are working except a few issues here and there at the edge of development. 

Instead, the frequent release of betas where "all things are mostly working" is rather an adaption that Emby has made to community demands (like many other projects of course) because many users are running beta versions for production use and are expecting them to work. 

On the good side, this allows to find problems quickly as this widens the coverage of testing.

But on the bad side, this can also be show-stopping and block innovation when changes at a larger scale are required.

1 hour ago, Robsta86 said:

Think that will keep the users happy and you'll receive more feedback along the way, allowing you to make an even better product.

In those cases that I mentioned above, it can happen that elementary features are dysfunctional for months. And this is nothing that would make the majority of users happy. Instead it would put the effort under pressure and lead to bad decisions and compromises. 

I hope this helps clearing up a few more things. Everything else has been perfectly explained by @cayars already. 

While I can't disclose more details, I think it's needless to say that we are talking about a bit more than just "Channel Groups" and I'm very confident that the result will be worth all your patience.

softworkz

Edited by softworkz
  • Like 1

Davicom
2 hours ago, EODCrafter said:

i believe you are off-road in ways of getting what you want...

• Like 1

PenkethBoy

Wow, the whole Crew came out on this one...You guys should maybe be fixing channel groups.....

Not a whole lot of WORK going on at Emby Ehh?

Probably why it's taken 4 + Years...JS

What other company calls it's PAYED LIFETIME Subscribers Whiners?

wow the ignorance - all of us are users like you - who have no control of what the devs do or when

just because you decided to pay for lifetime gives you no more call on what happens - no entitlements other than to use Emby Premiere features -although it appears you do think this

As for whinning - well you are doing it again

• Like 2

PenkethBoy

what a bellendrical you are

if you think this is going to make any differnece apart from massaging your imature ego - then you need to expand your horizons and stop looking at your toes all the time.

Its not hate - it ridicule 

Edited by PenkethBoy
  • Like 1

Dibbes
1 hour ago, EODCrafter said:

@EODCrafter Your frustration is understandable, but I doubt this is the way to go. If you do a quick search through the forum you'll see more people (including myself) feeling the same. The thing is that Emby is serving a lot of users and it's just plain impossible to keep everyone satisfied or even to see the logic behind the development decisions. I know most of the time I don't understand the priorities when looking at the change notes and would really like to see other areas improved much faster. On the other side, it's very very very easy to piss people off, no matter which side you're on.

What I would recommend is getting into a productive conversation with @ebr and @Luke with input from @softworkz (and you're getting support from the devs here, which I have not seen very much from any other company at all) and outline the reasons you think this feature should be considered very high priority. Ultimately it's the decision of the product owners.

Honestly, remarks like that come down to "I've paid for my license, now you have to do what I want" ultimately don't get you anywhere at all. First of all because it's not true as you're paying for a license to use the product "as is" at that moment, second of all (and I'm sorry to say this) because it really sounds like my 6 year old who throws a fit because I'm not allowing him candy at bedtime...

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dibbes said:

What I would recommend is getting into a productive conversation with @ebr and @Luke with input from @softworkz 

Seems that some have missed the most important point:

2 hours ago, cayars said:

There is nothing more any Emby team person can say, except this deliverable is not a customer wish lists, it's not only an idea, not just a plan, not just a design spec, not just a dev guide, but has been developed and is in alpha testing [...]

📣 Everybody put your guns down, your fight is won already! 🏳️

• Like 2

Dibbes
2 minutes ago, softworkz said:

Seems that some have missed the most important point:

📣 Everybody put your guns down, your fight is won already! 🏳️

LoL! I missed that post from Cayars and wasn't sure if I could mention it... :D I just replied... ;)

Edited by Dibbes

Hold the phones, a request has been outstanding for a couple of years and have already said this has been addressed in a new version in development for release in the near future.

Repeating the same thing over and over again in different ways will not change the outcome. :)

EODCrafter
47 minutes ago, cayars said:

Hold the phones, a request has been outstanding for a couple of years and have already said this has been addressed in a new version in development for release in the near future.

Repeating the same thing over and over again in different ways will not change the outcome. :)

Obviously, Dedicated...Paid subscribers, screaming for this feature for years has meant very little.

You blame us end-users for impatience, but maybe Luke shouldn't make promises that this will be done before 2020. ;)

If I could get a refund, I'd be more than happy to Shut my Mouth.

Edited by EODCrafter

48 minutes ago, EODCrafter said:

shouldn't make promises that this will be done before 2020

Correct.  We shouldn't make those statements and this is why we try never to do that even though people are always asking for an ETA for something.  They usually say they won't hold us to it but, in reality, it is only natural for them to do so.

Things come up that constantly make us have to adjust our schedules so we shouldn't make promises before things are very close to implemented.

• Like 1

PeteLocky

I'm strongly in favour of this feature as I said several times, however, this thread has gone to shit, eodcrafter, by being so hateful it isn't going to exactly motivate the makers and furthermore they then have to take time out of development to respond to silly posts, it has dragged on absolutely but shit happens, they are clearly working on it so have a bit of faith my man.

• Like 2

Dibbes
2 hours ago, softworkz said:

I don't think he will stop his rampage until the topic gets closed.

This does not seem to be a rampage... it feels more like a tantrum

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
EODCrafter

You can stop your rush to get this done for me...My Provider is removing access to M3U Links so this and xTeVe will be useless.

TiviMate it is.......

Edited by EODCrafter