Live TV Channel Groups

mickeyfinn

Robsta86

I would really love to see this feature being implemented as my IPTV provider provides M3U files with group titles. First, like many of you I was thinking that an option to select a group and then list the channels would be amazing and would make my Emby experience complete.

I must admit that I even like @@softworkz suggestion to use tags even more:

The whole point of having TAGs instead of a fixed grouping, is that this allows multiple parallel ways to categorize (what most of you mean by "group") channels.

This includes:

• Automatic generation of TAGs from M3U groups (IPTV)
  • Automatic generation of TAGs from channel genres (ATSC/DVB)
  • Automatic generation of TAGs from EPG item genres 
  • Automatic generation of TAGs depending on channel source type (IPTV, SAT, Cable, Terrestrial)
  • Automatic generation of other TAGs like 'Most Viewed', 'Having EPG', etc.
  • Manual creation and assignment of custom tags

The whole point of this is to have a single system that can serve multiple purposes.

First of all because it can be used for different sources, like iptv and/or satelite.

Second it will make it even easier to find just the content that you like, e.g.: filter on a country first and then filter on a tag like news, weather, football or whatever is being extracted from the epg source.

Then you won't have to think about what tags to give to your channels up front, as the channel can have a tag "sports" or "news" based on what is planned within the timeslot the EPG guide is showing :-)

Really hope to see this functionality implemented soon. If you need any help testing I'd love to help out :)

Keep up the good work!

Edited by Robsta86

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

DIdnt see this thread  :huh: . Added screenshots from other IPTV 

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/87157-livetv-iptv-folders/

10k channels is a pain to scroll...  :blink:.

Happy to help out perhaps, is there any api documentation on accessing / creating Collections, maybe a plugin script that runs through m3u file creates a collection from group-title and stores the channel?

Edited by Techz

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

+1

I also _pray_ for the ability to remove or even disable automatic channel mapping from EPG. 

The automatic channel mapping makes my life hell when trying to assign the correct channels through SchedulesDirect

• Haha 1

On 8/12/2020 at 4:38 PM, KingKoopa08 said:

Can't wait to here about this enhancements! Grouping would be amazing!

Grouping of tuners to combine channels or grouping of channels to put similar channels next to each other like News, Sports, Local, National, Premium?

KingKoopa08
10 minutes ago, cayars said:

Grouping of tuners to combine channels or grouping of channels to put similar channels next to each other like News, Sports, Local, National, Premium?

To group channels with categories like News Sports Local Etc. Yes. Then User Permissions tied to groups, would be amazing also.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KingKoopa08 said:

To group channels with categories like News Sports Local Etc. Yes. Then User Permissions tied to groups, would be amazing also.

Sorry, only one feature per user, no soup for you.  LOL

• Haha 1

EODCrafter

M3Us are already broken into Groups...I still Vote for using that instead of Favorites and Manual Grouping....or did I miss a update?

EODCrafter

Be so Great if Emby worked like this automatically based off M3U Groups... :(

Capture.PNG

Edited by EODCrafter

36 minutes ago, cayars said:

no soup for you

Does it really come from that Seinfeld episode or has it been a saying before?

2 hours ago, softworkz said:

Does it really come from that Seinfeld episode or has it been a saying before?

Yep, Seinfeld and The Soup Nazi.

• Haha 1