Live TV Channel Groups

mickeyfinn

Dibbes

A little bit more fantasy please. Imagine a world without xteve...

Also, IPTV is not the only tv source we're handling.

in this case IPTV-EPG... lol

THis is what is delivered from there: #EXTINF:-1 tvg-id="Eurosport1.es" tvg-name="Eurosport 1 ES" tvg-logo="http://static.iptv-epg.com/es/Eurosport1.es.png"tvg-chno="2634" channel-id="2634" group-title="SPAIN",ES: EUROSPORT 1 FHD

Dan_Austin

I do not have an immediate use for groups, and have no IPTV sources.

As a starting point it does make sense to leverage group-title if it exists.

Allow the system admin to override it, or create their own groups in addition

to any provided to them.  I am not sure why, but I have a gut feeling that

the design should allow for channels to be in multiple groups, so it does

not look as simple as just modeling on the IPTV-EPG, but importing the

group names as the epg is processed (if they don't already exist) and adding

channels to those groups seems a natural fit and would give a good sized

test audience.

• Like 1

I do not have an immediate use for groups, and have no IPTV sources.

As a starting point it does make sense to leverage group-title if it exists.

Allow the system admin to override it, or create their own groups in addition

to any provided to them.  I am not sure why, but I have a gut feeling that

the design should allow for channels to be in multiple groups, so it does

not look as simple as just modeling on the IPTV-EPG, but importing the

group names as the epg is processed (if they don't already exist) and adding

channels to those groups seems a natural fit and would give a good sized

test audience.

Yes, that is pretty close to what I'm thinking...

..though I'm keen to hear some more user comments..

PenkethBoy

my 2p worth

1. TV Channels/iptv channels - can and do have TAGS assigned in Emby already - or they do for most of mine - could these be used as a starting point for groups/collections?

2. Limiting a channel to only one "group" is an artificial limitation - because - e.g. BBC/ITV/ch4/ch5 in the UK could have Sport/Drama/Kids etc as "types" of program - so if i'm looking for sports i want them included and also if i'm looking for Drama to watch etc etc - I'm sure this would apply to other channels across the world.

3. Grouping by e.g. Tags - added automatically or by an Admin - and having access to all channels that match a criteria - is a Collection in the way you have described it Softworkz - although groups would also apply - depending on your definition - language may play a part here

4. Channels without TAGS would be displayed say in an "undefined" collection - so easy to find and amend as necessary

5. Collections of channels would be dynamic - i.e. i make a change to a TAG - i would expect Emby to update the groups "immediately"

6. Where IPTV channels have the Group flag set as PirRadio suggested these could be added to the Tags in Emby when imported - i.e. when the guide refresh runs - no need to be excluded or ignored

Thats from just a few minutes thought - i'm sure there is more options around this that could work for most situations given some time and working through the options practically

my 2p worth

1. TV Channels/iptv channels - can and do have TAGS assigned in Emby already - or they do for most of mine - could these be used as a starting point for groups/collections?

Yea, that's actually what I mean:

- TAG + FILTER instead of GROUPING

2. Limiting a channel to only one "group" is an artificial limitation - because - e.g. BBC/ITV/ch4/ch5 in the UK could have Sport/Drama/Kids etc as "types" of program - so if i'm looking for sports iwant them included and also if i'm looking for Drama to watch etc etc - I'm sure this would apply to other channels across the world.

3. Grouping by e.g. Tags - added automatically or by an Admin - and having access to all channels that match a criteria - is a Collection in the way you have described it Softworkz - although groups would also apply - depending on your definition - language may play a part here

Whether you're writing an SQL statements, doing statistics in Excel, dealing with demographic analysis or election results - the term group - AFAIK as a German - is always relating to exclusive partitioning where no single subject would belong to more than a single group exactly.

Of course there could be additional grouping schemes (in each of which a single subject would belong to exactly one group).

But that's a point where things would get really complicated, and there'd also be the question how to present that.

4. Channels without TAGS would be displayed say in an "undefined" collection - so easy to find and amend as necessary

Now here we are at the presentation aspect. 

When I say TAG + FILTER I mean exactly that:

• You can create a number of tags
  • You can assign those tags to channels
  • Certain tags are auto-created and -assigned, e.g.
    • from M3U import
    • from live tv data
  • When viewing the guide, you can filter by those tags

That means:

• All channels that do not have a selected tag will be hidden
    • No grouping, the order will remain unchanged
    • Mixing of tags (groups) will be easy: You select a second tag to further narrow down the search
    • Result will be filtered again,  the order will remain unchanged
  • I think this is the best way to fulfill everyone's requirements because it's flexible, independent of broadcast technology and allows different approaches to coexist

Channels without tags would be hidden when you choose to filter for a certain tag.

5. Collections of channels would be dynamic - i.e. i make a change to a TAG - i would expect Emby to update the groups "immediately"

There would be no "Collections" no "Groups". Just a channel list, filtered by channel tags.

6. Where IPTV channels have the Group flag set as PirRadio suggested these could be added to the Tags in Emby when imported - i.e. when the guide refresh runs - no need to be excluded or ignored

No group flags. A channel would be a channel.

PenkethBoy

Any item can be part of a Group or groups - think Ven diagrams

an items characteristic/properties can be plural and exist in more than one set - does not have to be exclusive - unless you want it to be

filters can be plural as well - its done already by Eric in the Android Tv app

but in this case - to keep things simple - a single filter would be applied and you get a group/set of results - the fact that i choose Sports and get BBC1 in the results - i then change to choosing Drama and also get BBC1 as BBC1 has TAGS for Sports and Drama

Having only one Group/Set visible by selecting a TAG - not keen on this as its simplistic

Why is IPTV channel group flags any different than existing TAGs for channels - its an item of data only that could be copied to be a TAG easily if thats the issue

If you are not going to make groups/collections - this whole discussion is a bit moot

Anyway - putting in restrictions when you are asking for input and ideas - is a bit odd

Any item can be part of a Group or groups - think Ven diagrams

an items characteristic/properties can be plural and exist in more than one set - does not have to be exclusive - unless you want it to be

Multiple tags can be assigned to a channel

filters can be plural as well - its done already by Eric in the Android Tv app

but in this case - to keep things simple - a single filter would be applied and you get a group/set of results - the fact that i choose Sports and get BBC1 in the results - i then change to choosing Drama and also get BBC1 as BBC1 has TAGS for Sports and Drama

Filtering by multiple tags will only show channels having both tags

Why is IPTV channel group flags any different than existing TAGs for channels - its an item of data only that could be copied to be a TAG easily if thats the issue

It's not different.

If you are not going to make groups/collections - this whole discussion is a bit moot

You build a group by assigning a tag to all group members.

(what I meant is - no collections in terms of Emby)

Anyway - putting in restrictions when you are asking for input and ideas - is a bit odd

Adding "dummy" channels to simulate some kind of grouping is not a good idea. We can do better than that.

If you want to see that as a restriction...

EODCrafter

Wait...So the groups already in our M3U's are not gonna be used? Sry, I don't want to sort thru all the noise.....

Has anyone used TiviMate or Kodi and seen the way it separates into Groups? I think the Majority of us the use Live TV want that.

I could care less about OTA/Satalite/Cable, it's overpriced and requires special hardware to work. Anyway, where i Live, I can't get one single Antenna Channel cause of the mountains.

M3U is the Standard....Emby Doesn't need to "Re-invent the Wheel" The code is out there Open Source called xTeVe, Just Flip the script on what JellyFin is doing to you before they beat you to the Punch.

You guys drug your feet for three years to come up with some sort of Database Index?

Please don't Bother replying if M3U groups are not gonna be used...I don't really care TBH. I will move on...

​I guarantee I will never recommend a single Customer to use Emby...and I see A LOT.

You seeing this? @@marmei

Edited by EODCrafter

EODCrafter

Kodi is Free and has had this for YEARS......

If you Need a Trial to Play with @@softworkz DM me and I'll set you up with a freebie account, and you can see the way kodi works, compared to Emby.

1 Thing we tend to forget is that Streaming is completely Legal in the Unites States..

Edited by EODCrafter

maegibbons

There needs to be a method of importing m3u groups in to the TAGS.

Having Multiple tags is good.

Having a tabbed display for each TAG would be good, like "Sports", "Drama".

Having a filtered MAIN tab where you can select the filter on multiple tags to narrow down a selection would also be good.

@@EODCrafter pointless throwing your toys out the pram. The whole idea is to have the discussion now so everyone is catered for.

Be thankful that we are now having that discussion!!

Krs

Mark

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Edited by maegibbons
  • Like 3

EODCrafter

Discussions are fine as long as m3u groups from the m3u are supported :)

#EXTINF:-1 tvg-id="AntennaTV.us" tvg-name="[US] ANTENNA TV" tvg-logo="https://cdn.tvpassport.com/image/station/240x135/antenna-tv.png" group-title="[US-ENTERTAINMENT]",[US] ANTENNA TV

....If not, I don't need to be a part of it :(

Edited by EODCrafter

CBers

I have to say that the very basic usage should be to follow the groups already supplied in the M3U files.

All IPTV streaming apps do this already, so have never understood why Emby hasn't.

If Emby wants to add on top of this, then that's fine.

• Like 4

pir8radio

adding to existing m3u standard groups is fine, but its dumb to have to manually touch all 1, 2, 3000 iptv channels to manually put them in groups, especially when the provider (or myself using iptv epg) built out the groups in the m3u already.  Start with the group m3u standard and improve from there...    Dont start from scratch while still ignoring the group tag..   Lets start with using m3u tags that are already pretty much standard, and build up features from there please.     

• Like 3

Wait...So the groups already in our M3U's are not gonna be used? Sry, I don't want to sort thru all the noise.....

Please don't make such bold declarations when you, admittedly, didn't even read the discussion.

The suggested approach clearly utilized the defined groups in m3u.

All you guys, however, have tunnel vision on this because you are focused only on .m3u sources.  We need to support more than that.

I think the tag and filtering option makes sense.  It is more flexible for those that want it or can operate as a simple grouping mechanism if that's all you want.

However, I think we'd need to make one change to Softworkz proposal:

Filtering by multiple tags will only show channels having both tags

While this is currently how our filtering works - I think, in this case, we'd want to OR not AND the filters.  When looking at a guide, if I select both Sports and Movies I probably want to see all channels for sports and movies - not only channels that show sports movies (of which there are probably 0).

Final thought - this is all just discussion here gathering feedback.  None of this has been decided yet.

• Like 1

maegibbons

I would personally like a tabbed display for the basic groups(read TAGS) and then a Main tab that you can filter AND or OR TAGS and then sort how you want.

Krs

Mark

Spaceboy

All you guys, however, have tunnel vision on this because you are focused only on .m3u sources. We need to support more than that.

I think we were just trying to give you the quickest way to satisfy the most amount of people. Any project should be prioritising on that basis

Dibbes

I think we were just trying to give you the quickest way to satisfy the most amount of people. Any project should be prioritising on that basis

Generally I agree with that, however if you now implement something that may turn out to be incompatible later on, the people you now made happy with a quick fix, will get a lot more upset later when you have to undo that quick fix. This is something that needs to be thought through and designed well from the beginning as it is one of the core functionalities and not a slap-dash bandaid solution even though that might make a part of the people happy for a few days...

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a quick solution tomorrow as the few hundred channels I have now is just a mess and irritating to get through looking for a specific channel or even group of channels. I just think it better if this would be something well designed...

EODCrafter

Please don't make such bold declarations when you, admittedly, didn't even read the discussion.

The suggested approach clearly utilized the defined groups in m3u.

I openly admitted not reading the whole conversation because of the Noise. Simple..... Groups from M3U supported or Not. If not, I'm done. I shouldn't have to configure anything, just Like Kodi and TiviMate.

maegibbons

I openly admitted not reading the whole conversation because of the Noise. Simple..... Groups from M3U supported or Not. If not, I'm done. I shouldn't have to configure anything, just Like Kodi and TiviMate.

You are being a twat again.... take the opportunity to READ and JOIN in the discussion rather than being antagonistic to the process of development!

It will help you get what you want.

Krs

Mark

• Like 2

EODCrafter

You are being a twat again.... take the opportunity to READ and JOIN in the discussion rather than being antagonistic to the process of development!

It will help you get what you want.

Krs

Mark

YOUR the NOISE...Why would I listen to your advise? Reported for Flaming and Name calling...If you can't keep it Civil then keep it shut.

You Probably don't even use IPTV.....

Edited by EODCrafter

EODCrafter

I'm gone..... @@Luke ....See what I mean when I say your Community is Toxic and Hostile .......

Edited by EODCrafter