Live TV Channel Groups

mickeyfinn

Maybe not anymore.....Latest news with Xtream Codes.

You do realize channel groups are also wanted by people like me who have a perfectly legal home tv server running?

I have about 120 FTA DVB-S and DVB-T channels along with some security cams on my Tvheadend server and navigating the EPG is a pain..

• Like 1

Poppabear

Maybe not anymore.....Latest news with Xtream Codes.

Xtream-Codes i'm certain will be replaced or even brought back online. This event just happened yesterday and they have some Legal defenses as to the panel's intended purpose and that the abuse lays with the provider. There are plenty of Legal IPTV services that use Xtream-Codes Legally ... Even if Xtream-Codes goes bye-bye ... we will see something else replace it.

The feature I request are not attended to be used Illegally, These features help with legal sources as @@bberger mentions.

EODCrafter

A few different panels around now they will move over or quit.

But still need groups for legal TV :)

Yea, keep supporting Super overpriced Big Cable, they need more money from commercial channels :) ....Antenna where I live is Nill.

JC, Where do you get m3u from legal TV? Never really messed with that. (Ah TV Headend) And Doesn't Legal TV become illegal if you start to rebroadcast it?

Edited by EODCrafter

Poppabear

... And Doesn't Legal TV become illegal if you start to rebroadcast it?

If you re-stream it of course its illegal ... That should be obvious. Its also illegal to share your Netflix logins with family, im sure that a lot these guys that preach about keeping things legal probably do this illegally in some capacity. ;)

EODCrafter

If you re-stream it of course its illegal ... That should be obvious. Its also illegal to share your Netflix logins with family, im sure that a lot these guys that preach about keeping things legal probably do this illegally in some capacity. ;)

I was being sarcastic, were all big boys here. It adds no value to remind people some IPTV is illegal. I suppose I should of never mentioned XC, but it's big news in this business.

Edited by EODCrafter

• 4 months later...

Thanks to all of you for your comments and dedication to this feature!

There's one thing I'm wondering about and where I would like to find out a bit more:

Is a Channel Grouping Feature really what you're all looking for?

Just let me explain this:

Channel Grouping would mean that you can define a number of groups.

For each channel, you'd be able to choose exactly one of those groups to which the channel belongs.

And that's it.

When viewing the Guide, you might be able to view it:

• Sorted by channel number or
  • Sorted by channel name or
  • Grouped
    and within each group
    • Sorted by channel number or
    • Sorted by channel name

That would be the grouping feature.

For me, that raises some questions:

• What to do with channels that do not clearly fit into a single group (but multiple)?
  • Is a single grouping scheme sufficient for everybody?
    I can imagine that people would have different criteria for building groups
  • Is the guide view still intuitive when channels appear in a totally different order than usually?
  • Grouping means to have channels in groups, it doesn't necessarily mean filtering.
    So, grouping itself would not reduce the number of channels being shown in the guide

Please let me know what you think about it...

• Like 1

Dibbes

For each channel, you'd be able to choose exactly one of those groups to which the channel belongs.

And that's it.

What's the reason for this limitation? I'm probably not understanding enough of the way live tv works, but instead of a group, can we not have a collection then and make these profile dependent so every user can create their own structure?

For the guide I would go for a filter approach then. Show everything (the way it is now), filter per collection you setup, filter per various collections, etc.

I wouldn't go for a complete restructure of the guide and channels, just set it up so they can be displayed differently...

Spaceboy

I think most people requesting this just want to be able to use the existing channel groups in their iptv m3us. And then jump to or filter by those groups without having to scroll through the whole TV guide. That’s my perspective anyway

Edited by Spaceboy
  • Like 2

What's the reason for this limitation? I'm probably not understanding enough of the way live tv works, but instead of a group, can we not have a collection then and make these profile dependent so every user can create their own structure?

For the guide I would go for a filter approach then. Show everything (the way it is now), filter per collection you setup, filter per various collections, etc.

It's not a limitation - that's the nature of "grouping" (or partitioning in a mathematical terms).

The reason why I've started like this, is because I think what users really want is not grouping at all.

That's why I'm interested how people a planning to use this feature (before throwing in a different name)...

I think most people requesting this just want to be able to use the existing channel groups in their iptv m3us. And then jump to or filter by those groups without having to scroll through the whole TV guide. That’s my perspective anyway

Yup, that sounds reasonable and confirms what I'm thinking.

_jackflack

@@softworkz

Wow glad I found this thread and conversation and its super recent! I've been wondering how to address this.

Also lets suspend reality and imagine that tomorrow all IPTV becomes free to watch and rebroadcast. Just like all Movies, Music, & TV Shows we watch on our servers and rebroadcast.

I am in the United States so geography is actually an issue too. Multiple Cities and with local and National cable/IPTV/Satellite providers.

In LiveTV I have SIX (6) tuners. Each turner is a M3U file and is filled with Genre type information.

News.m3u

Sports.m3u

Cable.m3u

Movies.m3u

Locals.m3u

umm...XXX.m3u (its for my wife I swear)

I have TEN (10) Emby Guide Data in place too.

EPG 1 Covers almost all News, Cable, and Movies a national provider

EPG 2 Covers some News, Cable, and Movies not available on the first national provider

EPG 3 Covers a regional Sports Channel and possibly a Local Network affiliate by zipcode

EPG 4 Covers a regional Sports Channel and possibly a Local Network affiliate by zipcode

EPG 5 Covers a regional Sports Channel and possibly a Local Network affiliate by zipcode

EPG 6 Covers a regional Sports Channel and possibly a Local Network affiliate by zipcode

EPG 7 Covers a regional Sports Channel and possibly a Local Network affiliate by zipcode

EPG 8 Covers a Local Network affiliate by zipcode

EPG 9 Covers a Local Network affiliate by zipcode

EPG 10 Covers a Local Network affiliate by zipcode

(edit. A local Network Affiliate is a national channel with local programing. I'm from a different major city, when I get home sick I watch their local news)

Emby then mashes is all together and all my family gets every single channel, in one giant list, whether they want it or not.

XXX not even in there. Not with kids around possibly. No way to Filter or Deny access to that Tuner.

I personally think that you are 90% of the way there already with Tuners. The problem is there is no way to deny access to tuners by user.

Lets say Groups = Tuners. Each tuner can simply be a group of channels, you can then name by a preconfigured  list in a drop down box or add your own. The channels in the m3u file are then grouped by the server admin. Then in the user menu, you can grant access to the end user. Tags already exist at the channel level, if they could be applied to tuners, then you could filter from there.

Oh and for the love of GOD, please don't make it like IPTV and you have to manual enter every single record one by one. If IPTV had a way to group channels and a upload and import m3u file button, it might work too. Under a users account you can already deny access to individual IPTV channels by user.

Last but not least, is there a dark set of Channel Logos for LiveTV? My background is dark, and half the channels are dark logos.

Edited by _jackflack
  • Like 1

Dibbes

It's not a limitation - that's the nature of "grouping" (or partitioning in a mathematical terms).

The reason why I've started like this, is because I think what users really want is not grouping at all.

Ahhh... I understood something different with grouping. I understand partitioning and what it means... No, I definitely don't want that, that's way too limiting... What I really want is collections with a filtering system configurable on a per user basis by the user.... so similar to how you can use collections with movies...

I'm in a similar situation as @@_jackflack but then in Europe with different countries and languages... I mean, I have a few people that speak Polish, others don't. I have most use Spanish TV, but some wouldn't tune into Spanish TV if their lives depended on it, etc... with filters and collections people can just what they want to have displayed...

For example: I have 6 different Eurosport 1 channels, all a different language... I'd like my users to be able to stick one (or two) of those in a collection they use and by default only see that unless they go and look for another...

Edited by Dibbes

@@_jackflack - I understand your concerns and these will need to be addressed.

But not like this. Channel groups (let's stick to the name for a second)

• are not equal to tuners
  • are not a replacement for permissions

I'm sure there will eventually be the changes you're looking for, but as part of this conversation...

groenator

Yep! That's exactly what people want. A simple tv guide with a menu showing the m3u groups to access. I dont understand why we are discussing different suggestion and ideas?

It should be a straight forward thing, my guess of not having the categories showing in the guide it is because of copyright. I hope I am wrong.

Dibbes

I dont understand why we are discussing different suggestion and ideas?

Because there is more than one way to skin a cat... and your way (or mine for that matter) is not necessarily the best way or what the majority would want  :)

• Like 1

I dont understand why we are discussing different suggestion and ideas?

Right - my bad - why even ask users what they want...?

• Like 3

_jackflack

@@_jackflack - I understand your concerns and these will need to be addressed.

But not like this. Channel groups (let's stick to the name for a second)

• are not equal to tuners
  • are not a replacement for permissions

I'm sure there will eventually be the changes you're looking for, but as part of this conversation...

@@softworkz

Ok, I was using my tuners as an example. Yes I would like grouping

That's why I'm interested how people a planning to use this feature (before throwing in a different name)...

Yes, I would like grouping.

I referenced Tuners because I think most of the work for grouping is done if Tuners were tweaked. Forgive me if I am wrong, but grouping is exactly how I use the multiple Tuners.

I understand permissions was not the topic, sorry for the over reach.

pir8radio

Uhhh      we shouldn't have to do anything in emby...  build groups, and all of that crap, emby should just support m3u "GROUPS" group-title=   from the m3u file, which it ignores today...   I already have m3u groups for all of my channels, i just want emby to abide by them. or allow the client side to hide, or show groups...   maybe my m3u has Chinese channels.  well my users should be able to hide those in the guide.    Or maybe they want to jump to the PPV group.

#EXTINF:-1 tvg-id="4Seven.uk" tvg-name="4Seven UK" tvg-logo="http://static.iptv-epg.com/uk/4Seven.uk.png" tvg-chno="1" channel-id="1" group-title="MAIN CHANNELS",VIP FHD 4 SEVEN
http://live.tv/m3u/374155
Edited by pir8radio