Nvidia Shield as server

Ryssen86

We don't know what your devices are but there are a lot of options.  The server could be run on your NAS potentially or on another machine you may have available.

mastrmind11

I just agreed to sell my NAS to a friend, got it for free. https://www.amazon.com/QNAP-TS-453mini-4-Bay-Intel-2-0GHz/dp/B00XJZ594U

Does anyone have a good NAS to recommend that a can use as a server? Price maybe around 1000 - 1500$

With the prices of components being what they are these days, you could build a beast of a NAS with that kind of budget.  I don't see a point in buying a pre-built NAS anymore other than the convenience factor.  Or pick up a Dell T20 w/ the Xeon 1225 and buy another 16GB RAM, grand total about $500.  It's got an additional 4 HDD slots you can fill with your remaining budget.

• Like 1

PenkethBoy

if you want to try something in between have a look at Xpenology - it gives you the NAS (Synology) interface but you can build the server how you want or re use existing hardware - which is what i did for two boxes - boots off a USB stick

However i have decided to move on to a bigger single box again re using some of the hardware and stable bit drivepool on win 10

If you want a good mid range nas as a file server - then a QNAP TS-853A is fine - add a bit more ram and disks and you are good to go - there are more capable QNAP nas's with i3/i5/i7 cpu and 10GB networking plus ThunderBolt now available but they are soon out of your price range as they attract a premium. I ran plex of the 853a for a while quite successfully while evaluating it before deciding on Emby.

• Like 1

the1legend

if you want to try something in between have a look at Xpenology - it gives you the NAS (Synology) interface but you can build the server how you want or re use existing hardware - which is what i did for two boxes - boots off a USB stick

However i have decided to move on to a bigger single box again re using some of the hardware and stable bit drivepool on win 10

If you want a good mid range nas as a file server - then a QNAP TS-853A is fine - add a bit more ram and disks and you are good to go - there are more capable QNAP nas's with i3/i5/i7 cpu and 10GB networking plus ThunderBolt now available but they are soon out of your price range as they attract a premium. I ran plex of the 853a for a while quite successfully while evaluating it before deciding on Emby.

+1 on StableBit, great software.

• 5 months later...
simonk83

Is this possible yet by any chance?   I currently run Emby in a Docker container on my NAS, but I'd probably move it to the Shield if it's possible...