Libray sync thread has exited

Noel Grassy
Go to solution Solved by Angelblue05,

Noel Grassy

Hello! I recently migrated from mysql to emby and yesterday while trying to sync on kodi i started getting this message. It worked on 2 of my devices and half worked on my htpc. I was able to sync my music and tv shows but it failed on my movies. I figured it might be because i was using krypton beta so i switched back to 16.1. Now it won't sync anything and the error is showing up on all the other devices as well. Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

https://paste.ubuntu.com/23242623/

mastrmind11

Hello! I recently migrated from mysql to emby and yesterday while trying to sync on kodi i started getting this message. It worked on 2 of my devices and half worked on my htpc. I was able to sync my music and tv shows but it failed on my movies. I figured it might be because i was using krypton beta so i switched back to 16.1. Now it won't sync anything and the error is showing up on all the other devices as well. Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

https://paste.ubuntu.com/23242623/

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/38368-emby-syncing-error/

Noel Grassy

Thanks for the reply! I'm on a fresh install and not using mysql at all. I set the number of sync threads to 75 because i saw that number quoted in another post. I'll try setting it to 50 and try again. I have a Matricom GQ box and it seems to be working at least on my tv shows but both windows pc's are not working at all. I'm using the stable server but i think i may be using the beta plug in. That may be the problem.

mastrmind11

Thanks for the reply! I'm on a fresh install and not using mysql at all. I set the number of sync threads to 75 because i saw that number quoted in another post. I'll try setting it to 50 and try again. I have a Matricom GQ box and it seems to be working at least on my tv shows but both windows pc's are not working at all. I'm using the stable server but i think i may be using the beta plug in. That may be the problem.

Make sure you have path substitution set up correctly.  If I recall, when I had the sync exited issue it was because my path substitution was wrong and that error was thrown instead of notifying me the server was unreachable.  Check your Kodi logs, that's how I stumbled across the server being unreachable.

• Like 1

Noel Grassy

Make sure you have path substitution set up correctly.  If I recall, when I had the sync exited issue it was because my path substitution was wrong and that error was thrown instead of notifying me the server was unreachable.  Check your Kodi logs, that's how I stumbled across the server being unreachable.

I don't have path substitution set up at all, i thought i could set it up without it. Am i wrong on that? I'm not using direct paths and i am using http instead of smb. I just basically left the addon as is. I tried path substitution once before when i was running the beta server and beta add on and it didn't work out very well. I imagine i may need to go that route as i would like to use yatse remote and be able to watch on a local device.

mastrmind11

I don't have path substitution set up at all, i thought i could set it up without it. Am i wrong on that? I'm not using direct paths and i am using http instead of smb. I just basically left the addon as is. I tried path substitution once before when i was running the beta server and beta add on and it didn't work out very well. I imagine i may need to go that route as i would like to use yatse remote and be able to watch on a local device.

I think if you are using HTTP you have to use path substitution, or the client's won't know where to look for your media (ie, the path to the file would be stored in the db as 'h:\movies' instead of \\192.168.1.1\movies)... so each client would need to mount the share individually via SMB or the path wouldn't make sense.  Again, check your Kodi logs and if it's indeed a path issue, the logs will say something along the lines of "unable to open file h:\movies\blahblah.mkv: Path does not exist".  

• Like 1

Noel Grassy

I think if you are using HTTP you have to use path substitution, or the client's won't know where to look for your media (ie, the path to the file would be stored in the db as 'h:\movies' instead of \\192.168.1.1\movies)... so each client would need to mount the share individually via SMB or the path wouldn't make sense.  Again, check your Kodi logs and if it's indeed a path issue, the logs will say something along the lines of "unable to open file h:\movies\blahblah.mkv: Path does not exist".  

I'll try that currently it's trying to scan the library into kodi and i have no errors yet so i guess we'll see. If it errors again i'll set up path substitution. Will i have to re-sync the library in the server? That take about 3 days with the amount of media i have. Should i be using direct paths instead?

Edited by Noel Grassy

mastrmind11

I'll try that currently it's trying to scan the library into kodi and i have no errors yet so i guess we'll see. If it errors again i'll set up path substitution. Will i have to re-sync the library in the server? That take about 3 days with the amount of media i have. Should i be using direct paths instead?

I personally use path substitution + HTTP because I want to be able to stream outside my network.  I also am in a Linux environment so smb stuff doesn't make sense (I use nfs).  As far as changing to path substitution, yes, you'll have to rescan your library for the new paths to take effect... but I think it's just a library refresh (you initiate it from inside the Emby for Kodi app), not a full library rebuild -- don't quote me on that, but I'm fairly certain it just tweaks the paths, doesn't re-download all the artwork and scrape titles.

• Like 1

Noel Grassy

I personally use path substitution + HTTP because I want to be able to stream outside my network.  I also am in a Linux environment so smb stuff doesn't make sense (I use nfs).  As far as changing to path substitution, yes, you'll have to rescan your library for the new paths to take effect... but I think it's just a library refresh (you initiate it from inside the Emby for Kodi app), not a full library rebuild -- don't quote me on that, but I'm fairly certain it just tweaks the paths, doesn't re-download all the artwork and scrape titles.

Refreshing in kodi would be the ideal. I don't need to stream outside of my network though.

Edited by Noel Grassy

Noel Grassy

A question i have is: using path substitution, if my media is in a folder within a folder how should i arrange it? Would D:\Media 6\Movies 6 be \\MyServer\Media 6\Movies 6?

Angelblue05

Hey, keep me posted on your issue. You are having an issue with something wanting to access your database at the same time as the content syncing your library (locking your database). Let me know if it's always locking on the same item. Provide your Kodi log so we can compare it to your first log.

Your path substitution will look like this for example

To: \\{servername or ip address}\Media 6\

Your end path would then become \\MyServer\Media 6\Movies 6

You can probably do From D:\ to \\MyServer

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

Noel Grassy

Hey, keep me posted on your issue. You are having an issue with something wanting to access your database at the same time as the content syncing your library (locking your database). Let me know if it's always locking on the same item. Provide your Kodi log so we can compare it to your first log.

Your path substitution will look like this for example

To: \\{servername or ip address}\Media 6\

Your end path would then become \\MyServer\Media 6\Movies 6

You can probably do From D:\ to \\MyServer

So i went through and moved all my media folders to the forefront(D:\Media\Movies to D:\Movies and all appears to be running well at this point. It will be a couple days before i know for sure because as i stated before i have a schnizz ton of media! At least 16 terabytes of movies, tv shows and music/music videos to run through. There are many folders on different external drives but so far it looks promising. I was able to access some media over yatse locally using mxplayer as well!  I'm not sure i set up network credentials correctly though, I used my server(correct), my emby username(i think correct) and my private network password(????). Also On the server that is connected physically to the hard drives I set direct path and smb share over http. Is this correct? I have 100.mb internet and i'm using a netgear nighthawk to stream content to 2 other windows pc's and a couple of matricom GQ's(also a gooogle nexus player that for some reason quit working and keeps resetting to the home screen every few minutes). I set the clients to recieve http off of the addon, is this correct? Thanks for the reply and i freaking love emby as a replacement for mysql! Just need to iron out these few things i can't wrap my brain around so far!

Sorry: I'm using the emby beta server and plugin in kodi 16.1 on the other windows pc i'm using the latest beta. I also set the max sync request down to 50.

Edited by Noel Grassy

• Solution
Angelblue05

@@Noel Grassy

Your credentials are incorrect. This is about credentials to access content over your network. Reopen network credentials and remove the existing entry. After that, go to Add-ons > install from zip > navigate to your content and make sure Kodi can access (enter any credentials if prompted at any time).

Play from HTTP is guaranteed to work, this is why it's the default setting. If you want to play from Samba(SMB), then go to the emby add-on settings > playback > disable play from HTTP. Try to playback, if it works then you'll know your path substitution actually work, because it will use your physical paths.

• Like 1

Noel Grassy

@@Angelblue05

Thanks for the feedback! It seems to be working. On my main pc which hosts my server, I am running direct paths and smb. On all my other machines i'm running addon and http. They are attempting to populate now so i will check for sure later. I am able to reach the media folders using Add-ons > install from zip > navigate to your content like you said but only through smb.

• Like 1