Refresh Local Playlist?

dbowles1975
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

dbowles1975

Details:

I have an m3u playlist generated from a Python script that includes auth tokens which expire every 240 minutes. I have a batch file that runs the script every two hours generating a new m3u playlist with the exact same name. I have tested this m3u playlist with VLC and it works perfectly so I know the script and batch file are working. 

Questions:

- If I add this m3u playlist to Emby will it reference the current copy of the playlist in the directory I've pointed Emby to in the tuner devices settings or does it grab a copy and store it somewhere?

- Does the "refresh channels" task refresh the link between the tuner and the playlist? It says "refreshes internet channel information" but since my m3u playlist is local and not http I'm not sure how to read this description.

I'm going to play around with it in the meantime and see what I can break. Thanks!

dbowles1975

I've been able to make this work for about an hour and then it just stops working. Once it stops working if I click on a channel in the guide it takes me to the channel info screen but clicking play does nothing. If I delete the m3u playlist and then add it right back everything goes back to working for another hour or so. 

Any idea what I'm missing?

2016-09-27 09:40:07.3143 Error App: Error getting channel stream
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 3.0.7200.0
    Command line: C:\Users\Dave\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
    Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
    Processor count: 8
    64-Bit OS: True
    64-Bit Process: True
    Program data path: C:\Users\Dave\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server
    Application Path: C:\Users\Dave\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
    Tuner not found.
    System.ApplicationException
     at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.LiveTv.EmbyTV.EmbyTV.<GetChannelStream>d__79.MoveNext()
    --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
     at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
     at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
     at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.LiveTv.LiveTvManager.<GetLiveStream>d__3a.MoveNext()

dbowles1975

Please attach the complete log. thanks.

Refreshing the guide seems to fix the issue for whatever reason. 

I thought "refresh guide" just updated the EPG? And I thought "refresh channels" just updated the m3u playlist? Could you explain the "refresh channels" and "refresh guide" tasks or point to somewhere it has been explained? Thanks!

I am with the same problem, if i add new channel to the list, the channel do not appear, and i don't know how to sync the new list without to remove and add again the list.

Since i have over 300 channels and epg to all of them its very inconvenient to do that.

Is there any way yo refresh manually?

[EDIT] refresh Guide does not resolve my problem, the new channels do not appear.

Edited by bubs

I am with the same problem, if i add new channel to the list, the channel do not appear, and i don't know how to sync the new list without to remove and add again the list.

Since i have over 300 channels and epg to all of them its very inconvenient to do that.

Is there any way yo refresh manually?

[EDIT] refresh Guide does not resolve my problem, the new channels do not appear.

Hi there, welcome. In order to best help you, please provide the information requested in how to report a problem. Thanks !

Refreshing the guide seems to fix the issue for whatever reason. 

I thought "refresh guide" just updated the EPG? And I thought "refresh channels" just updated the m3u playlist? Could you explain the "refresh channels" and "refresh guide" tasks or point to somewhere it has been explained? Thanks!

For the channels scheduled task, I am renaming this to Internet Channels in order to make it more clear.

For live tv, everything is refreshed during the refresh guide scheduled task. For most people, the default interval of every 24 hours is enough, but if you need it to refresh more often than that, you can change it.

• Like 1

For the channels scheduled task, I am renaming this to Internet Channels in order to make it more clear.

For live tv, everything is refreshed during the refresh guide scheduled task. For most people, the default interval of every 24 hours is enough, but if you need it to refresh more often than that, you can change it.

But for now if a list have a new entry, like a new channel or simply the channel changed name, the refresh guide doesn't actually refresh the list.

Yes it does, that is actually the only time that channels are retrieved from their source data. What app are you testing from? If it's the web app, have you tried refreshing the page?

That's not to say that it's perfect, I mean this is not a requirement anyone has ever asked about before so I can't say we're giving it much testing time, but that is when the channels are refreshed.

Yes it does, that is actually the only time that channels are retrieved from their source data. What app are you testing from? If it's the web app, have you tried refreshing the page?

I am using web-browser and kodi add-on, i can test with windows app, i am not a premium user yet but i think to test is enough, mas i have been playing all night and no mater what i do to da list e how many time i press refresh guide, the new channels or the name changes are only processed if i delete and add again the list.

Can you attach two sample m3u8 files? One being an initial one, and then second one i can use as the refresh copy? thanks.

Can you attach two sample m3u8 files? One being an initial one, and then second one i can use as the refresh copy? thanks.

Yes, they are generic, so it should do because the tags are exactly the same. However i can send you the list that i am using by PM but since its paid i will not put here.

If i use to separate files, or remove the previous one, it works, what does not work is the refresh.

lists.zip

dbowles1975

Thanks for the answer and the correction. Makes sense. 

I am generating a new playlist every 2 hours because of the auth tokens mentioned above so I will need to refresh the guide at the same interval. That's no problem and that seems to work just fine. The problem is with the clients. Android TV, for instance. I have to restart the device in order for it to start working again. It seems like the client is still referencing the old guide / playlist for whatever reason. Even logging out of and back into the app doesn't resolve it. 

This issue may be unrelated but I'll bring it up here anyway. Some streams will start playing for a few seconds then start over and play fine. Sometimes this happens three or four times before the stream starts playing correctly. That could very well be on the provider side, though. Just thought I'd mention in case maybe it's something you've seen before. 

If you need an m3u playlist let me know and I can send you one.  Thanks. 

• 1 year later...
carloshmm

Hey I know this topic is a little bit old :unsure: but I have a problem related to the subject:

My IPTV provider includes the same logic using tokens which expire every "15 minutes".

I can't follow the solution of @@dbowles1975 because my server will keep updating EPG info together with the playlist and the task of update EPG info from Schedules Direct takes a long time on my server (~20 minutes), it is taking more than the interval I configured the task "Refresh Channels" to run (15 minutes), this way my server is running this task all the time and I'm afraid of getting a ban from Schedules Direct because of this.

I am generating a new playlist every 2 hours because of the auth tokens mentioned above so I will need to refresh the guide at the same interval.

What I propose for fix this problem is here: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/52539-split-live-tv-tasks-check-m3u-listcheck-epg/

@@Luke Could you please take a look at my problem?

carloshmm

Maybe in the future we could have some sort of expiration time setting. It's possible. 

There isn't any temporary workaround? I've already tried to set a local .m3u file with a bash script process updating it each 15 minutes but Emby only updates it's internal representation of the .m3u list with the task "Refresh Channels", so this doesn't work. You could create a hidden advanced option for this, this way new users won't be confused by this.

maegibbons

@@carloshmm

The issue is that this is a very edge and rare case.  Is it really worth emby devs working on it when it affects 1 or 2 people?

The real answer is for you to find an IPTV provider that does not do this type of tokenising.

Krs

Mark

carloshmm

@@carloshmm

The issue is that this is a very edge and rare case.  Is it really worth emby devs working on it when it affects 1 or 2 people?

The real answer is for you to find an IPTV provider that does not do this type of tokenising.

Krs

Mark

You are right. I think I can live without EPG info.

I'll try to look into Emby source code and find the place where it stores the information it grabs from the .m3u list or the function that executes the task "Refresh Channels" and try to split that by myself. Thank you.