Unable to switch back to stable releases

skuuup
Go to solution Solved by skuuup,

I switched over to automatic Dev updates and I have been seeing some instability, so I want to go back to Stable builds.

But I no longer see the option to choose between Dev/Stable: Image

There used to be a dropdown selection here..right? Am I going crazy? I cannot find this option anywhere since switching to Dev builds.

How can I switch back?

Edited by skuuup

What kind of instability? better to help the community by participating to ensure you don't later see the same thing on stable.

Timeouts when connecting to the webapp until I restart the server..

Slower loading of content in ET..

Playback in ET ends abruptly and takes you back to home screen..

Those sorts of things.

Not 100% consistent, but these issues seem to be more frequent on Dev > Stable. I've seen some of this behavior on Stable as well.

..the latest Dev builds do seem to be getting better, but I'd still like to go back to Stable for a while.

OK right now, ~13:09, I attempted to play Matilda [1996].avi and it kicked me back to home screen in ET after about 30 seconds of playback on the first attempt. Subsequent attempts at playback then work fine.

Logs posted here.

I'd still like to stay on-topic though..how can I switch back to Stable releases?

logs_092516.zip

Happy2Play

At this point you will need to shutdown the server and open the system.xml (c:\users\username\appdata\roaming\emby-server\config) and modify <SystemUpdateLevel>Dev</SystemUpdateLevel> to Release.

OK I just tried this and the system.xml immediately switches back to <SystemUpdateLevel>Dev</SystemUpdateLevel> when I start Emby Server back up.

I made the file read-only and it doesn't switch back, but when I run the "Check for application updates" task it doesn't detect/install the Stable build.

I presume because it thinks that the Dev build is newer..?

I thought Luke said, all you have to do now is to install the server you want from the download page?

On dev and beta yes. But there's an issue with this auto-switching on the stable branch.

I made the file read-only 

That will cause problems. We will not really be able to offer much support if you are doing that.

• Solution

Nah, he didn't. But looks like stopping Emby Server, editing system.xml as such:

<EnableAutoUpdate>false</EnableAutoUpdate>

<SystemUpdateLevel>Release</SystemUpdateLevel>

and *then* downloading/re-installing the Stable release and re-enabling auto updates again fixed it.

Edited by skuuup

Guest asrequested

On dev and beta yes. But there's an issue with this auto-switching on the stable branch.

Ah right! 

So try switching back to beta. I have few to no problems

OK right now, ~13:09, I attempted to play Matilda [1996].avi and it kicked me back to home screen in ET after about 30 seconds of playback on the first attempt. Subsequent attempts at playback then work fine.

Logs posted here.

I'd still like to stay on-topic though..how can I switch back to Stable releases?

This is not going to be related to the version of the server. The theater log says a stop command came in shortly after playing.

2016-09-25 01:32:27.6122 Info DirectShowPlayerBridge: Playing media source {"Protocol":"File","Id":"f995a0421f75ce38ca93c88e30faecd3","Path":"Z:\\videos\\cartoon\\Futurama\\Season 7\\S07E25 Stench and Stenchibility.mkv","Type":"Default","Container":"mkv","Name":"480P/H264/AAC","RunTimeTicks":12988160000,"ReadAtNativeFramerate":false,"SupportsTranscoding":true,"SupportsDirectStream":true,"SupportsDirectPlay":true,"RequiresOpening":false,"RequiresClosing":false,"VideoType":"VideoFile","MediaStreams":[{"Codec":"h264","Language":"eng","TimeBase":"1/1000","CodecTimeBase":"104271/5000000","Title":"X264","DisplayTitle":"X264","NalLengthSize":"4","IsInterlaced":false,"IsAVC":true,"BitRate":759073,"BitDepth":8,"RefFrames":10,"IsDefault":true,"IsForced":false,"Height":404,"Width":720,"AverageFrameRate":23.97599,"RealFrameRate":23.97599,"Profile":"High","Type":"Video","AspectRatio":"16:9","Index":0,"IsExternal":false,"IsTextSubtitleStream":false,"SupportsExternalStream":false,"PixelFormat":"yuv420p","Level":31,"IsAnamorphic":false},{"Codec":"aac","Language":"eng","TimeBase":"1/1000","CodecTimeBase":"1/48000","Title":"AAC","DisplayTitle":"AAC","IsInterlaced":false,"ChannelLayout":"stereo","Channels":2,"SampleRate":48000,"IsDefault":true,"IsForced":false,"Profile":"LC","Type":"Audio","Index":1,"IsExternal":false,"IsTextSubtitleStream":false,"SupportsExternalStream":false,"Level":0}],"PlayableStreamFileNames":[],"Formats":[],"Bitrate":759073,"RequiredHttpHeaders":{},"DefaultAudioStreamIndex":1}
2016-09-25 01:32:27.6122 Info InternalDirectShowPlayer: Playing Stench and Stenchibility. Audio Renderer: Default, Madvr: True, xySubFilter: True, ParentID: 
2016-09-25 01:32:27.6122 Info InternalDirectShowPlayer: Playing Path Z:\videos\cartoon\Futurama\Season 7\S07E25 Stench and Stenchibility.mkv
2016-09-25 01:54:08.5328 Info App: Http POST directshowplayer/stop

Have you ensured you're not pressing the stop button or back button?

This is not going to be related to the version of the server. The theater log says a stop command came in shortly after playing.

2016-09-25 01:32:27.6122 Info DirectShowPlayerBridge: Playing media source {"Protocol":"File","Id":"f995a0421f75ce38ca93c88e30faecd3","Path":"Z:\\videos\\cartoon\\Futurama\\Season 7\\S07E25 Stench and Stenchibility.mkv","Type":"Default","Container":"mkv","Name":"480P/H264/AAC","RunTimeTicks":12988160000,"ReadAtNativeFramerate":false,"SupportsTranscoding":true,"SupportsDirectStream":true,"SupportsDirectPlay":true,"RequiresOpening":false,"RequiresClosing":false,"VideoType":"VideoFile","MediaStreams":[{"Codec":"h264","Language":"eng","TimeBase":"1/1000","CodecTimeBase":"104271/5000000","Title":"X264","DisplayTitle":"X264","NalLengthSize":"4","IsInterlaced":false,"IsAVC":true,"BitRate":759073,"BitDepth":8,"RefFrames":10,"IsDefault":true,"IsForced":false,"Height":404,"Width":720,"AverageFrameRate":23.97599,"RealFrameRate":23.97599,"Profile":"High","Type":"Video","AspectRatio":"16:9","Index":0,"IsExternal":false,"IsTextSubtitleStream":false,"SupportsExternalStream":false,"PixelFormat":"yuv420p","Level":31,"IsAnamorphic":false},{"Codec":"aac","Language":"eng","TimeBase":"1/1000","CodecTimeBase":"1/48000","Title":"AAC","DisplayTitle":"AAC","IsInterlaced":false,"ChannelLayout":"stereo","Channels":2,"SampleRate":48000,"IsDefault":true,"IsForced":false,"Profile":"LC","Type":"Audio","Index":1,"IsExternal":false,"IsTextSubtitleStream":false,"SupportsExternalStream":false,"Level":0}],"PlayableStreamFileNames":[],"Formats":[],"Bitrate":759073,"RequiredHttpHeaders":{},"DefaultAudioStreamIndex":1}
2016-09-25 01:32:27.6122 Info InternalDirectShowPlayer: Playing Stench and Stenchibility. Audio Renderer: Default, Madvr: True, xySubFilter: True, ParentID: 
2016-09-25 01:32:27.6122 Info InternalDirectShowPlayer: Playing Path Z:\videos\cartoon\Futurama\Season 7\S07E25 Stench and Stenchibility.mkv
2016-09-25 01:54:08.5328 Info App: Http POST directshowplayer/stop

Have you ensured you're not pressing the stop button or back button?

Yeah the logs would suggest that I issued a stop, but I did not.

This happens frequently enough (around ~30 seconds into initial playback) when keyboard is set down away from me and I am not anywhere near close to touching it.

Happens maybe 1/3rd the time during new playback.

Edited by skuuup

Also, I should add that this happens when using ET on 2 different Windows computers on my LAN, one of which is my Emby Server machine.

I haven't done enough remote playback or playback using the webapp/tv.emby.media to factor those into the equation yet.

Edited by skuuup

It doesn't look like the server received a remote control command so it looks like it happened all inside the theater app, as if it received a key input command to stop.

Well, the mentioned playback cancellation issue still persists on the stable server branch. Probably an ET bug.

Still ~1/3 of playback attempts cancel back to home screen after 1-30 seconds into playback. I've even had this happen during a trailer

I'll try to do some more troubleshooting to see if this only happens for movies vs series, different computers, webapp etc