djhifi
Go to solution Solved by solabc16,

Here is my setup and result

Synology DS1515+
Server Version 3.0.8500.0

Nvidia Shield TV SPMC
Client Version 2.3.9

58237e57531f0_20161109_204744.jpg58237e713eb31_20161109_204837.jpg

Yes, file attached for reference - it's the same section of the same movie, with the same external subs file in all cases.

- James

So this is a failing case or passing? Just to rule out caching affecting this, you may also want to delete the programdata/data/subtitles folder.

Angelblue05

In Kodi, if using direct play from HTTP, and the subs are properly tagged, the addon will download and auto convert them to utf-8 locally. Thats why they display correctly. Unknown external(no language tag in filename) is the emby http link to subs which clearly is being returned in a different encoding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

In Kodi, if using direct play from HTTP, and the subs are properly tagged, the addon will download and auto convert them to utf-8. Thats why they display correctly. Unknown external(no language tag in filename) is the emby http link to subs which clearly is being returned in a different encoding.

So is there any thing i can do to use the other subs as default, or maybe disable the HTTP feature? normally i let Couch potato download subs, or they are included with the movie.

Angelblue05

I can do something about it, but it wouldn't fix things server side or in other apps...

solabc16

So this is a failing case or passing? Just to rule out caching affecting this, you may also want to delete the programdata/data/subtitles folder.

Both, depending whether you are running stable or beta, as documented above.

These were all controlled test cases, using clean setups for each run.

The same movie was used with the same external subs file in all cases, the only thing being varied was the server version and client (Web UI or Theater)

- James

Edited by solabc16

If you're seeing a difference in beta then it may be due to the large amount of internal changes that have been happening. A lot of things have been torn apart as part of the move towards .net core, and a lot of very small issues have been identified and resolved along the way. There was a portion of the http server relying on system default Encoding which may have been responsible for the variation across operating systems. More testing is needed though on beta.

If you're seeing a difference in beta then it may be due to the large amount of internal changes that have been happening. A lot of things have been torn apart as part of the move towards .net core, and a lot of very small issues have been identified and resolved along the way. There was a portion of the http server relying on system default Encoding which may have been responsible for the variation across operating systems. More testing is needed though on beta.

Where do i find beta versions for Synology? and is it compatible for upgrading a version downloaded from the repository?

Where do i find beta versions for Synology? and is it compatible for upgrading a version downloaded from the repository?

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-Accessing-Beta-and-Development-Releases

We don't really recommend switching the same server installation back and forth between release channels though.

solabc16

I suspected that may be the case, hence working through some controlled test scenarios, so we can start to get a good reference and handle on the subtitles 'issue'.

It gives us a baseline to work from and start cross checking against the reported issues here and in a few other posts elsewhere on the forum.

The reliance on default encoding would be consistent with my thoughts here: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/39560-subtitle-ansi-marking-on-accented-characters/?p=383908

If we're happy attributing it to the re-factoring that's fine and we'll just focus on subtitle behaviour on the betas and target resolution for the stable in which they are finally rolled up into.

- James

Yup, exactly. I am not fully convinced that it can be marked as resolved but the feedback is encouraging.

• Like 1

solabc16

Agree, definitely too early for that, but it does mean we can now focus our efforts and resources accordingly and look to get this one over the line a suitable point.

- James

Edited by solabc16
  • Like 1

@@djhifi, I appreciate that this might be a significantly frustrating issue for you and that it's been that way for some time. I want to get to the bottom of this and find a solution as well, as it's a potential blocker to adoption for a significant number of users. However, can I please ask that we dial it back a little and drop the agressive posts, subsequent edits and block capitals. None of this does anything to garner the support of the development community and get them on your side.

I can refrain the capitals but in no way I intended to be agressive on ANY post i've made. Maybe someone misunderstood or not. Relating the edits, that is because sometimes i make typos on my writings. The development community doesn't need to be on my side, needs to be on users side (which is where I am). Cheers mate.

BTW: Thanks for taking matters in hand. I really appreciate your effort mate.

Edited by djhifi

In Kodi, if using direct play from HTTP, and the subs are properly tagged, the addon will download and auto convert them to utf-8 locally. Thats why they display correctly. Unknown external(no language tag in filename) is the emby http link to subs which clearly is being returned in a different encoding.

This correct. The problem is that many ppl want to stream using external subtitles encoded in ANSI (not UTF-8). Because converting to UTF-8 messes up the body of the subtitles (altough fixing accented chars). The problem is relying on the external subtitles usage in emby server/client side on MONO (linux platforms).

EDIT: Sorry for double post

Edited by djhifi

If you have a test machine to spare then please try out the beta channel and see if that shows any different behavior.

• Like 1

solabc16

I can refrain the capitals but in no way I intended to be agressive on ANY post i've made. Maybe someone misunderstood or not. Relating the edits, that is because sometimes i make typos on my writings. The development community doesn't need to be on my side, needs to be on users side (which is where I am). Cheers mate.

BTW: Thanks for taking matters in hand. I really appreciate your effort mate.

No worries @@djhifi, let's move on and focus on the task at hand and keep it on this thread now.

If you come across related issues (i.e. external subtitles on Mono) in seperate posts, feel free to direct them here, as there seem to be a few out there.

As you'll see above, we're seeing improvements on the latest beta, so there is progress.

- James

• Like 1

I just got access to the beta repository and testet v 3.1.21.0.1-beta on my synology, i only had time to test on Kodi for osx, and here the subtitle works now.

• Like 1

I just got access to the beta repository and testet v 3.1.21.0.1-beta on my synology, i only had time to test on Kodi for osx, and here the subtitle works now.

I also tested it from Windows, with a clean kodi install, where it also works from a remote location, and can confirm it uses the External subtitles that had the issue before. so im a happy guy that it got fixed in my case

• Like 1