Issues with Automatic BoxSets

Luke

yea

Just to clarify, when I say my "Movies" collection, I mean my movies top folder, I'd like to automatically refresh my entire collection. I tried it once, and it seemed to have no effect, so I've been manually refreshing each title... so far, I'm at the letter "P". lol, not very exciting, to say the least.

I've just installed the Auto BoxSets plugin, but I seem to be having some issues with it. First off it was creating a boxset for 2 titles that were in no way related. I found that they had a TheMovieDB Collection ID in them for some reason, so I just removed it, and that solved that problem...

My main issue however, is that I only have a few titles in my collection with TMDB ID's in their metadata, I have all the options ticked in the server (that I can find), for downloading metadata, and I don't use any 3rd party software for getting metadata. So how would I go about populating my metadata with TMDB collection ID's for the BoxSet plugin to use?

I currently only have one BoxSet appearing, and I know I have quite a few in my collection, just don't have the metadata for them, and I'd rather not have to manually add it.

Thanks,

Patrick

your metadata was probably downloaded before we started recording the value. you'll probably have to do some force refreshes from edit pages to get new data

Is it working?  Because we have recorded that id for a very long time so I wonder why it wasn't there.  Perhaps you had movie.xml files from MB2?

@@ebr, I ended up going through and manually refreshing all the titles I suspected of being from a boxed set. For some reason a top level refresh didn't seem to work.

I did get the plugin to work after doing the refresh though. Out of close to 900 titles I ended up with 58 boxed sets.

I'll have to check for movie.xml's later today. I never thought about that, but it's certainly a possibility. I can go ahead and delete any movie.xml files confidently, correct?

No, we still use movie.xml and, if you save locally, then we will be generating them.  But, if you had some from MB2 before, we wouldn't have overwritten them and they wouldn't have had the IDs.

Ok, thanks. Do you plan on adding any more features that I may have issues with if I've got xml's left from MB2? If so, I should be able to erase them all and let MB3 get new ones for me, correct? Or do you think I'll just run into more problems if I do this.. I was just thinking: file search "movie.xml", select all, delete.

You can re-build them if you want.  Tmdb wouldn't want you to make a habit of it but you can certainly do it to clean out old MB2 stuff if you still have it hanging around.

For a collection of around 900 titles, should this be a very long process for me? Also, does TMDB have any sort of daily limit for how many ID's I can get data from? I've heard some sources are like this...

I really don't know how long it will take but shouldn't be that long and, no, you won't be limited (at least not yet).

• Like 1

Ok, thanks @@ebr. I'm gonna start that shortly. Should be interesting to see if I end up with more than the 58 boxed sets that I manually found.

Okay, so I erased my movie.xml's, and for some reason they haven't repopulated in my movie folders. The info is there, but only (from what I can tell) being stored online. I have the server set up to store my metadata locally... Any idea why the server isn't saving my movie.xml's now? I've rescanned my library and done a force refresh from within the Web-UI editor.

Edited by pmac

You need to post your MBT issue in the MBT thread so Luke can see it.

If you have "Save metadata in media folders" selected, it should be saving the xml files in there...

all y ou really need to do are the refreshes from edit pages. you don't need to delete any files. i'll look at why a top-level refresh isn't working recursively

I just restored all my deleted .xml's, hopefully we can figure out why the top-level refresh isn't working for me. Thanks @@Luke

all y ou really need to do are the refreshes from edit pages. you don't need to delete any files. i'll look at why a top-level refresh isn't working recursively

CashMoney

Having the same/similar issue here, even after deleting the xml files and letting them get rebuilt.

I've 2 films from the Transporter collection. I originally created a boxset for them manually before this plugin, and likely the xml's originally came from MB2. Auto boxsets won't create a boxset for them, nor will it allow me to manually create one (it gets deleted after a scan). Checking the metadata for both films, the TMDBID collection id is missing. I refresh, it's there until I look at another film, and then it's gone. If I type it in manually and save, the minute I leave the page it's gone. If I shut down the server, delete the movie.xml files from the two folders, restart the server, and rescan, it finds all the relevant info except the TMDBID collection id. Note that for the original boxset I created (created a folder called "The Transporter collection [boxset]") it finds the tmbdbid collection id during a scan fine.

So reason I'm posting, could this be simply because they are still in their original "boxset" folders? At some point I'm going to have to take them out as the web interface and likely other clients is obviously showing up many of my boxsets twice; once for the original and again for the Auto boxset plugin. I've not as yet separated them from the original boxset folders as I wanted to see what the new plugin did.

You can't have manual box sets and this plug-in at the same time unless the manual box set is something that is not recognized by tmdb.  I'm not sure if this is your problem but it will be a problem.

CashMoney

You can't have manual box sets and this plug-in at the same time unless the manual box set is something that is not recognized by tmdb.  I'm not sure if this is your problem but it will be a problem.

Yeah, pretty sure it is. I've got a couple of made up box sets which I'll keep, but the proper ID'd boxsets/collections I'm removing now to allow the plugin to do the work are correctly working/ID'd, but a few I have to delete the movie.XML as well, I guess because of MB2 . 

So to recap, if you have old manually created boxsets, get rid of them unless they are not a true collection (eg a genre or otherwise made up collection) and let the plugin do the work. If the plugin doesn't create a collection you know it should, or misses a movie, use the web interface to check it has the tmdbid collection field filled for that movie/those movies. If not, refresh the data and check the collection field again. If it won't stick, delete the movie.xml for the offending movie and refresh the data again.

If after doing the above, and checking the metadata for the collection ID, you have collections with missing films, delete the collection from your boxsets/collection folder and let the plugin recreate it. Note you shouldn't have to do this for newly created auto boxsets. Only do it if you originally made a mess like me above, had the plugin make a boxset and then you moved the location of the movies.

To be clear, the above is what's working for me. If I now add movies that belong in a collection, the plugin works perfectly. Thanks again :-) 

Edited by CashMoney

CashMoney

So my collections are now looking good, and all automatic going forward, thanks again, great plugin!

I did notice a couple of things during my ... shuffling (see previous post). :unsure:

If you move the physical location of movies that belong to collections, the mblink won't be updated; you'll have to go into the boxset and delete the mblink for that movie, then run another scan.

If you delete all the movies in a collection, the collection remains as an empty collection.