Emby Update 3.0.7200.r1 - Does it wipe all ?

geoff511

Hi,

Well there is a new Emby update on the Asustor App. Central - update 3.0.7200.r1    ... but the question is, does it wipe the settings & metadata like previous updates ?

Admin Luke - Has Asustor R&D got back to you regarding this problem ?

And do you know if it is worth updating to this version if it's going to wipe everything again ?

Has anyone else updated this version off the App Central on their Asustor NAS yet ? And if so, does it wipe everything back to a brand new installation like all previous updates ?

Thanks

PS. I think I asked this already but can't find where, so have started new thread.

Edited by geoff511

Hi,

Thanks Luke for your support, but the easier way is to just not update.

Why bother, if Asustor can't write updates in a format showing they care about their customers, why should I worry about installing the very poorly written updates they release ? Once their updates DON'T delete everything and install like updates should, then I'll install them but for now this version I'm using is as good as any.

For me, Emby is just a Librarian looking after my digital library. All be it very slow and with all the metadata wipes, very time consuming, but it's just a librarian.The front end of watching shows/movies or music is handled by Kodi. And so as a librarian it works OK.

The real annoyance is the fact that every time you go into Emby to do something it's default is Suggestions. Why anyone in their right mind would make that a default and not have a settings page where you can configure a simple electronic librarian program to do what the user wants and start where the use wants to be, is beyond me, but that just adds to the list of very poor decisions Emby Programmers have made when making this program.

So once again, thanks Luke for all your help, it is very much appreciated, but your time could be spend fixing Emby itself by making and creating Settings pages where Emby can be configured to work/look how the user wants, like Kodi has.

Have fun.

Edited by geoff511

I actually heard back from them and have been notified that it's now resolved. I'm assuming that means for the next release. I'll try to find out more.

• 2 months later...
geoff511

Psss ...   as we all know the update 3.0.72 did wipe everything ...

But I'm afraid the latest 3.0.8500.r1 does as well - well most of it ??  Some metadata survives, but most didn't - and please don't ask me why - lol

If you do try to backup your Metadata (from the numerous locations the Asustor version) saves it in ... I'm not sure if the backuped data will work ?

I copied all mine back into the locations it came from (before the update wiped most of it - but not all ?? ) and it ignored the backed up data. It acted like there was no data there at all, as if it needed a link or something to use it.

Anyway, 27 hours later after the 1st run of 'Scan Media Library' all the shows / movies and music was re-found.  But very little info/pics of actors/artists was visible, just a coloured square with their name in it.

The 'Refresh People' then ran twice, 1st time taking 18 hours and the second 1 day 13 hours ... and most of the TV shows and Movie actors now appear, and it just ran again taking 2 1/2 hours but as yet I haven't noticed any new stuff appearing from that run.

So, I'm not sure if you want to put in the latest update (3.0.8500.r1) but if you do, just be prepared for some odd things to happen  - again -

Have fun.

Thanks for the update. With the next release of Emby Server the refresh people task will only take a matter of minutes.