Audio Sync problem

SamES

I have 2 laptops, identical hardware, both with ET installed.

On one laptop the audio creeps ahead of the video and the sync error is quite noticeable after only 10 minutes.  It is very repeatable.

On the other device, everything plays fine.

I've had both devices playing the same movie at the same time and can confirm that the audio on one device is getting ahead rather than the video lagging behind.

I have tried different titles and different formats.  They all direct play, no transcoding is involved.  The audio always gets ahead of the video and it gets worse the longer you play.

I've tried the standard ET version as well as the new UWP version.  I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling.

The device that plays correctly also has VLC installed (but ET uses the internal player)

I installed VLC on the other device (but still use internal player) and now playback on it is fine.  No sync issues.

Any idea what could be going on here?

theater-63609875910.txt

Edited by SamES

Ok, sorry to jump on this thread, but I've also noticed audio-sync issues in later versions of ET. I wasn't sure if it was me at first (I'n very sensitive to it), but if I use the internal player, audio sync problems are very noticeable (using MadVR/LAV as always). If I play the same video in MPC-HC (again using MadVR/LAV) on the SAME PC, there's no problem. I'm using Win7, so no UWP version to test.

Guest asrequested

I wonder if you're experiencing some frame dropping. Depending on how may frames are being dropped, the difference could be subtle but would be more noticeable over time. What GPU do you have and are the drivers up to date? 

I wonder if you're experiencing some frame dropping. Depending on how may frames are being dropped, the difference could be subtle but would be more noticeable over time. What GPU do you have and are the drivers up to date? 

The two identical laptops described in the first post are i7-2630QM's

Initially I thought it was dropping frames as well.

One of the tests I did was to start the same title playing on both identical laptops (one with VLC and one without) at the same time.  Audio and video were in sync.  After about 15 minutes, on the laptop without VLC the audio was about 1 second ahead, but the video was still in sync.

So I've done some more testing, and even with VLC installed the audio is getting ahead in the UWP version, (this makes sense based on Luke's comments as I would expect that VLC shouldn't have any impact).

I did play longer than my previous tests, and I think the amount it gets ahead may be a little random.

I've uninstalled VLC from the original laptop.  Initially it played OK, with UWP, but today it has bad audio sync.

Not sure what's going on here but the amount of sync error is random (audio always seems to be ahead) but it definitely out most/all of the time.

Since UWP relies in Windows Media foundation anything that messes with that such as various codec packs can affect playback within the app.

Guest asrequested

I have just experienced a lipsync issue. Th file was an AVI, with MPEG4 and MP3. I am presently re-encoding it to see if that makes a difference.

57e869ef298bc_Snapshot_280.jpg

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

A quick remux to mkv and it seems to play fine after about 15 minutes. Maybe there's an issue with the splitter? I can share the files, but you'd need a big chunk of it to test and it wouldn't be a small file.