Video playback stops before end of videos

oxidius

Seems the link just points back to this thread. Probably you wanted to point to a different thread..?

His original thread got merged into this one.

His original thread got merged into this one.

I used to think that "thread merging" would be some kind of myth, but now I seem to have become a witness that such magic can really happen from time to time.. :D 

bentoscano

@@bentoscano can you provide a sample video that exhibits this issue? thanks !

Hi Luke, many apologies for the delay. As it is occurring with some episodes of a TV show can you confirm whether you would like me to send you the entire file or simply just give you the link.

bentoscano

A link to what exactly?

Sorry I should have been more specific, I can upload it to a file sharing site if you wish and send you a link

I'm seeing this behavior on my Apple TV as well. Emby is wonderful, so much more enjoyable to administer than Plex. This issue is the only thing standing between me and a Girlfriend Acceptance Factor that will allow be to fully rid our home of the lackluster, closed source, annoyance PMS.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help resolve this. I have logs, example files, and I could probably even setup a dev with an SSH account if that would help.

Thanks for all the hard work. I'll definitely be converting my friends and family to Emby in the coming weeks and months.

--adam

Edited by voxadam

As this is related specifically to HLS I was wondering, would it be possible to work around this issue by streaming using a different protocol, temporarily at least.

As this is related specifically to HLS I was wondering, would it be possible to work around this issue by streaming using a different protocol, temporarily at least.

That's pretty much the only thing Apple supports (that works well in all other areas).

Dibbes

Is there any progress on this? For me this happens with about every episode I've been watching lately, no matter which series...

A sample video would be great, along with what point you started the video from, and a list of any seeking operations you may have done during playback. thanks !

Dibbes

Here you go:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fej3rr26ofcejoh/The.Big.Bang.Theory.S10E10.1080p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION.mkv?dl=0

The 2nd file played today after a restart of the Emby app. Played manually directly from the series folder without any seeking operations at all. It stopped 52 seconds before the end.

When restarted and fast forward time 17:53, it again stopped but this time 48 seconds before the end.

This file plays well on the iOS app and the Windows UWP app.

ATV 1.0.16

Server: 3.2.0.0

I'm guessing on iOS it is doing a full transcode? Can you supply comparison logs between apple tv and iOS because I would have expected consistent behavior between them. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
lordCONAN

Has there been any progress on this?

Almost all scene releases stop a good 5 minutes before the end of the episode. Sometimes a resume point is created, sometimes not. Even when a resume point is created, it plays for 5 seconds then stops again. If there is no resume point, when you try skipping to the right time point it often exits back to the previous screen. This is becomingly extremely tedious. Playing on an iOS often has no problems, but when trying to use airplay to play it through the appletv it will stop again.

Edited by lordCONAN

• 3 weeks later...
Sarithz

I just wanted to see if any progress has been made on this issue.  We've quit using our AppleTVs and gone back to our Rokus, but I fired up the AppleTV yesterday and had the same issue happen.

This is primarily affecting Apple devices. The latest beta server has a fix that can be tested in iOS safari. We will apply it to Apple TV soon. Thanks.

Ok, if you have the latest beta server, just restart the app and this will be available for testing. thanks.