Video playback stops before end of videos

oxidius

Hey guys,

Since the tvos update I've been experiencing some problems, I saw people talking about the 'goes black and locks up' issue and the login issue.

I'm also experiencing since a few days videos exiting before the end. I think it's around the time when the pop-up for the next video should appear. The video stops, but emby is still ok I can watch other things without problem.

It's not a huge problem, I just wanted to know if I was alone with that problem.

Thanks to devs for being so responsive :D cheers (and sorry for my english ^_^)

mgworek

I've had the same problem but its been happening for awhile and its not all the time. I reported it while back. I think I even tested it on the web client and had the same problem so it wasn't really an apple tv problem, in my case. It happened to me last night, if i could remember which show it was I will try to reproduce it on the web client.

This issue is most likely the one with converting items on the fly and delivering via HLS using stream copy.  Not sure if any browsers are still using HLS streaming but Apple TV does.

It will also not always be consistently reproduce-able and can be impacted by any seeking you may do during playback.

The bottom line is that ensuring this never happens would require us to cause a much heavier load on the server all the time when playing back your content and it is a fairly rare situation and, even when it does happen, sometimes only affects end credits.

So, at this point, we are living with the lessor evil of allowing it to happen in those cases.

To be more specific, we can fix it with a full video transcode but we know that most of you would like to avoid that.

I'm not sure what I'm running into is the same issue or not.   

But lately, watching a movie (sometime an episode of tv) the video will stop and act like it's buffering .. little twirly thing by the timestamp on bottom.  But will never cache anything or restart.. just sits there.

if I stop the video and restart... get about 1-2 min of fine playbakc... and repeat above.

but this is not near the end or in the credits.  it happens at random times in the video.  sometimes early on, sometimes not.  

however playback in VLC works with out a hitch on the same video files.  So seems to be Emby Client on the ATV that is the issue.  

Any ideas?  

To be more specific, we can fix it with a full video transcode but we know that most of you would like to avoid that.

is there a way to enable this for those of us that would liek to try it and see if it helps?

is there a way to enable this for those of us that would liek to try it and see if it helps?

Lower the in-app bitrate setting to a value that is lower than your file. But we recommend leaving the setting on Auto.

I'm not sure what I'm running into is the same issue or not.   

But lately, watching a movie (sometime an episode of tv) the video will stop and act like it's buffering .. little twirly thing by the timestamp on bottom.  But will never cache anything or restart.. just sits there.

if I stop the video and restart... get about 1-2 min of fine playbakc... and repeat above.

but this is not near the end or in the credits.  it happens at random times in the video.  sometimes early on, sometimes not.  

however playback in VLC works with out a hitch on the same video files.  So seems to be Emby Client on the ATV that is the issue.  

Any ideas?  

This would not be the same issue.

VLC is not using the Apple TV player so that is not really comparing the same things.  Please open a new topic with specifics on this situation - including the media info from the item in question.  Thanks.

How to Report a Problem

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
iainsheppard

Hi Guys,

i tried to turn off autoplay with no luck, is there another work around or fix?  I am running the latest stable release and a supporter of emby since way back.  Its really a pain with TV shows are pretty much 80% of them fail to play last portion through my Apple TV.

Encoding is no issues as its running on a VM with E5-2680 v4 and little load by other vms.

Cheers

Iain

The auto play setting is a red herring.  This issue is not related to that at all.

We are working on ways with both the server and app to try to make this work better.  The technical explanation for why it happens is long-winded.

We are working on ways with both the server and app to try to make this work better and hope to resolve it in future releases.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
vegas007

Hi. Long time Plex user who has been having issues with their Apple TV app. Tried about Emby and loved it. However this is the main issue I am having with the app preventing me from fully converting. Hopefully this will be fixed in future releases. Thanks for the hard work!

bentoscano

Hi all, perhaps an unusual one which I can't find an answer for with a search which could be due to the unusual manner in which this may be described.

I will first note that I am using Emby on both my iPhone and Apple TV.

Basically, when watching some episodes, they will stop approximately 5 minutes before the end of the episode (and then, if auto-play is on, move to the next episode). I have also experienced this with movies.

Upon going back to watch the remainder of that episode, it will play maybe 20 or 30 seconds longer than the first time before again 'finishing'.

In case I am not explaining this very well, this is a timeline of what occurs:

Upon first watch (40 minute episode)
* 0-35 minutes: no issues
* Approximately 35 minutes: episode stops playing
Upon second watch (same episode)
* Skip forward to 35 minute mark: no issues
* Approximately 35m30s: episode stops playing

I have attached logs. All help welcome and will answer any questions!

logs.zip

bentoscano

Also having this issue which is quite annoying especially for TV shows as the credits are not there to be cut out. Although I posted another thread here I thought I'd add to this for visibility! Hopefully this is something that can be fixed as soon as possible and I am more than happy to assist where required :)