DTS audio

horstepipe
Go to solution Solved by horstepipe,

horstepipe

hey

Does DTS audio work with Emby for Apple TV? We're getting no sound here.

I thought it worked before, but maybe that was just Kodi. Or broke the TVOS 10 update something regarding this?

Is DTS passthrough possible?

Edited by horstepipe

I don't believe Apple TV supports DTS natively. Here are the supported formats reported from their site:

HE-AAC (V1), AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV; Dolby Digital 5.1 and Dolby Digital Plus 7.1

With that said I did notice with tvOS 10 that any media that has a DTS-HD track refuses to play even if it's not the default audio track. I've submitted a bug report to Apple but haven't heard back yet.

horstepipe

I don't believe Apple TV supports DTS natively. Here are the supported formats reported from their site:

With that said I did notice with tvOS 10 that any media that has a DTS-HD track refuses to play even if it's not the default audio track. I've submitted a bug report to Apple but haven't heard back yet.

Thanks, so passthrough isn't possible, either? So what can I do to get sound? :D

Apple TV does not have a pass-through mode for audio using their native player. Most of my files are DTS or DTS-HD which EMBY converts to AC3 5.1 (supported on AppleTV) on the fly for playback. AC3 5.1 is not as good as either DTS or DTS-HD (or TrueHD for that matter) but I have never had a problem getting sound.

It seems if you are getting no sound something else is going on with your setup.

horstepipe

Apple TV does not have a pass-through mode for audio using their native player. Most of my files are DTS or DTS-HD which EMBY converts to AC3 5.1 (supported on AppleTV) on the fly for playback. AC3 5.1 is not as good as either DTS or DTS-HD (or TrueHD for that matter) but I have never had a problem getting sound.

It seems if you are getting no sound something else is going on with your setup.

Thanks

@@Luke how can I see if conversion to ac3 works properly on Emby Server?

• Like 1

horstepipe

What is your audio setting on the device? (in the Apple TV settings menu)

I'm gonna ask, it's my neighbors device.

Here is the ffmpeg direct stream log.

In server dashboard, what means the red progress bar under the green movie progress bar when direct streaming? As long as it isn't full, I'm having a ffmpeg process runnig, so I guess this is for the audio remuxing?

horstepipe

What is your audio setting on the device? (in the Apple TV settings menu)

• audio output: Apple TV
  • Surround Sound: Best quality
  • Reduce loud sounds: off
  • navigation clicks: on
  • sound effects and music: on
  • audio mode: auto (also tried 16 bit)
  • language: standard
  • subtitles: auto

horstepipe

Try changing Surround Sound to "Dolby Digital 5.1".

unfortunately, no change.

Tomorrow I'm gonna test the ATV on my setup, maybe something is wrong with his AV-Receiver.

Edited by horstepipe

Try stereo to see if you get sound. How is his apple tv connected to the receiver - directly through HDMI or is there some other piece of equipment in the chain like an HDMI switch?

horstepipe

Try stereo to see if you get sound. How is his apple tv connected to the receiver - directly through HDMI or is there some other piece of equipment in the chain like an HDMI switch?

Ok we'll try tomorrow. We tried two setups:

Connecting the atv directly to the av-receiver and connecting it to the TV and use the audio return channel to the av-receiver. On both variants we don't get sound on DTS movies.

horstepipe

Same problem on my setup (ATV is directly connected to Denon AVR-X1000).

Also tried stereo mode, same result.

Is anybody here who gets sound with DTS movies on Apple TV?

Is anybody here who gets sound with DTS movies on Apple TV?

It also works for me.  I have my device set to output DD which means it (the Apple TV itself) converts everything to DD.  I also just now changed the Apple TV Audio setting to "Best Quality Available" and "Stereo" and I got sound in both of those situations as well.

I'm not sure why it isn't working in your setup...

• Solution
horstepipe

ok I don't really understand it but I got it:

I didn't activate transcoding for the user because this would max out the cpu of my NAS. I thought audio remuxing happens even if transcoding is not allowed.

Only "Allow video playback that requires conversion without re-encoding" was activated.

Now I activated allow video and audio transcoding and I get sound (5.1). But in Dashboard is shown "Direct streaming"...?

• Like 1

horstepipe

I have my device set to output DD which means it (the Apple TV itself) converts everything to DD. .

Unfortunately it doesn't look like the Apple TV takes the conversion. I'm getting an ffmpeg process which costs 30% of my server's cpu load.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like the Apple TV takes the conversion. I'm getting an ffmpeg process which costs 30% of my server's cpu load.

Sorry, I just meant whatever Apple compatible stream you feed the device, it will output it as DD 5.1 with that setting.

Apple doesn't support DTS in any way so we have to convert it on the server.

• Like 1

so why do I have do activate transcoding to get sound although in dashboard is written "direct stream"?

The reporting is just trying to report the same way the competition does.  In reality, the audio is being converted and the container swapped.

• Like 1

horstepipe

The reporting is just trying to report the same way the competition does.  In reality, the audio is being converted and the container swapped.

ok but shouldn't it behave like this:

If transcoding is not allowed the client gets a message that the movie can't be played instead of playing the movie without sound?

ok but shouldn't it behave like this:

If transcoding is not allowed the client gets a message that the movie can't be played instead of playing the movie without sound?

Ideally, yes, but that setting can create problems like these and we just haven't completely adjusted to it yet.

• Like 1