Slightly Off-Topic about 3D

hansolo77

hansolo77

So I bought a copy of "The Wolverine" from Amazon and after receiving it I discovered that it's 3D.  My TV isn't 3D, but my AV Receiver is 3D capable.  Also, my computer's video card (nVidia) has some kind of 3D capabilities.  I haven't read up on it, but it looks like the nVidia 3D is/has anaglyph (red/blue).  Is it possible to rip and then convert the 3D stream from the disk to an anaglyph version and thus allow me to watch it that way?  I'm not worried about the movie itself, I also have a 2D version already on my Media Server.  I'm just wondering if there is some way to get 3D through the power of PC conversions to use the red/blue glasses (I have a nice pair) and have it work with Media Browser.

Thanks!

bloodtaker

nvidia 3d actually needs the special glasses for it not red/blue also need a 3d capable monitor.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-main.html

the red/blue 3d can be used with any style monitor or tv does take a bit to get it encoded properly.

a good test would be to go to youtube see if your monitor is going to work good with it or not don't mind the video just a test of the 3d red/blue http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7_DyscQHNA&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PL66C7CE78BCBF828F

hansolo77

Ah I see.  I didn't know there was a specific set of glasses required, and a special monitor.  I'm just using a standard 2D TV.  The YouTube video you shared DOES work with my glasses, however I think the depth is wrong, because there's ghosting artifacts on the edges where the red or blue is farther out from the outline of the characters.

So you say there IS a way though to convert/encode a 3D movie into anaglyph?  What's the secret!  I was looking at a device like this: (LINK) that simply converts the standard 3D formats using hardware into an anaglyph display.  I'm not sure if it's worth it though.  I've read some reviews that they're pretty crappy. 

Of course I realize the simplest solution would be to buy a 3D capable BluRay player and a 3D TV.  I just can't see the value in spending a lot of money on a new TV just to get 3D, when 3D is still relatively new.

Thanks for the reply though Bloodtaker.  It's given me something to think about.

bloodtaker

That would work as a stop gap measure untill you are ready to get the modern 3d equipment.

The system that they implement in that unit and units like it are close to the 3d from the early 90's. Yes it works but nowhere near as well as the current active shutter 3d and passive 3d.

hansolo77

It is really no problem to rip your 3d movie to 3D anaglyph , DVDFAB (not free)  will do that no problem.

Cool, do you know if it will convert already ripped 3d or if it needs to be from M2TS off the disc?

Cool, do you know if it will convert already ripped 3d or if it needs to be from M2TS off the disc?

For DVDFAb you will have to use the original disc or ISO..

There are at least 2 other ways to do this:

1 -  use TotalMediaTheather Player it has all of this build in, but is not free.

2 - The other way (Free) is to use some scripts with AVISynth with the Pantarheon 3D toolbox(http://www.pantarheon.org/AviSynth3DToolbox/) You can even do this on-the-fly. but you will have to use the FFDShow VIDEO codec. You can keep using LAV Splitter and LAV Audio codec (Below is how).  If you have a 64 bit machine, make sure you do the same for the 64 bit version of FFDShow.

You can even use a FFDShow video codec profile to set a file name filter (i.e.: Every file that has "[3DSBS]" in the title, use the script.). there are lots and lots of other things you can do, just experiment.

Here we go

1. Un-install LAV Filters (if installed)
  2. Re-Install only the LAV Splitter and LAV Audio codec or just the LAV splitter.
  3. Install FFDShow VIDEO codec, with the AVISynth plugin option. Also select the FFDShow Audio codec if you did not install the LAV audio codec.
  4. Before you continue, play your movie to check if your FFDshow Video codec icon shows up in the system tray. If not, check your codec configurations (Plenty of guides within this forum and on the web)
  5. Now we will add the script that will take your 3D SBS file and convert it on the fly to 3D Anaglyph.
  6. Open FFDShow Video Codec and scroll to the AVISynth option. Select the checkbox
  7. You should now see a white empty text editor
  8. Assuming this is a 50% SBS (Each frame is full height but half width) . just add the following in the AVISynth editor within FFDShow:

LeftRight3DReducedToAnaglyph()

8. Click apply That is all there to it. Just play the movie and it should all be showing up in 3D Anaglyph.

To take a 3D movie and convert it on the fly to 2D, all you need to do is change the above line with:  LeftRight3DReducedToLeft()

If you have Full size SBS, then all you need to do is replace the above lines with LeftRight3DToAnaglyph() or LeftRight3DToLeft() respectively

There are many other possibilities and by combining the FFDShow profiles with some smart file naming , you can basically apply different scripts automatically and play all your movies and only convert those that need it..

I recommend you do some "internet research" and find out more about this.. you can also use the above in other AVISynth programs and permanently save the movies..

BTW, this is why I believe that FFDShow is by far the best Free Video codec on the market!. LAV is OK, but just lacks the power features.

The down side with the above is that it does not work with Media Browser theater. that requires LAV video codec. In which case you will have to use Total Media Theater.

Edited by ronvp

hansolo77

Bummer I was hoping to get the 3D via Anaglyph and be able to use MBT.  That was my goal.  :)  Oh well, still seems simply enough to use an AVISynth script.  It's been years since I've done anything with that.  I think the last AVISynth I did was was back when I was making DVD's out of recorded TV and I had to run the recordings through some filters to decomb and inverse telecine.  That, and I used an AVISynth to create a scrolling credits. 

Bummer I was hoping to get the 3D via Anaglyph and be able to use MBT.  That was my goal.  :)  Oh well, still seems simply enough to use an AVISynth script.  It's been years since I've done anything with that.  I think the last AVISynth I did was was back when I was making DVD's out of recorded TV and I had to run the recordings through some filters to decomb and inverse telecine.  That, and I used an AVISynth to create a scrolling credits. 

You can do that, just launch your 3D file in a external player (TMT) from media browser theater.. Or use MBC with MCE and do it the way I described and do it well!

As a side note, I wish MBT would let us use other codecs.. both are well supported and in principle use FFMPEG for their core, but LAV it is not near as flexible or powerful as FFDShow.. For me, unless LAV picks up some steam on the flexibility, it is a deal breaker to use MBT and I will stick to other clients..