Amazon echo with Emby?

Guest asrequested

I PM'd you doofus. I live in Canada and Amazon hasn't released echo here. Some people have gotten an echo in Canada but it has limited capabilities.

In any case there is a plan, so check your pm :)

• Like 1

I had also thought of this - I would be willing to contribute some time if/when the echo is released in the UK; probably completely impractical, but uber cool.

• Like 2

Latchmor
Guest asrequested

I already love my Echo. If I could make it control my Emby Theatre, I might have to consider a marriage.

Ha! Alexa is a sexy little thing  :D

Jobber8742

We just got an Echo. Would love for it to be able to control Emby. "Alexa, Play Ghostbusters on Emby." It would make things so easy.

Okay, so going down the path of focusing on echo and not ifttt maybe easier. Unfortunately ifttt wanted a large sum of money each year. I don't know about echo.

Does anyone know if echo has their source open somewhere.

Or is there an API? Can echo make http requests?

Because if it can do that, then it would be a piece of cake to interface it with emby.

Yeah he used the "ASK" formulas described in the link above. He wrote his app in js.

There is an online version of Alexa which can be used, perhaps to test? It needs to be checked out for sure.

I did brief work with speech recognition before, so I kind of know a bit about how most speech recognizes work.

Echo is based online, so that would be interesting.

The thing is, the way Alexa works is with web-based services.  So, you have to have a web service for it to talk to and that web service needs to know how to talk to your specific copy of Emby (and which device too).

So, while this is all possible, it will require a bit of plumbing on a global level.

Guest asrequested

Sounds promising. It would be nice to keep the sentences brief. Such as "Alexa, ask Emby to pause" With IFTTT you can chose your command. It has two activation words, so keeping it short is better. So I have it set "Alexa, trigger on" and it turns my system on. Using "emby" and not "home theater" would be much better.

The thing is, the way Alexa works is with web-based services. So, you have to have a web service for it to talk to and that web service needs to know how to talk to your specific copy of Emby (and which device too).

So, while this is all possible, it will require a bit of plumbing on a global level.

Does that mean having the emby API work through https?

Wait, I get it, the web service is the middleman to the API and the echo.

Are web services hard to put together?

Edit: okay I can see how to build a web service in c#, but .net isn't recognized by the echo... So.... Hmmm....

Edited by chef

I kind of control Emby with Alexa.

I have the Emby addon for Kodi, and the I followed the instructions on how to control Kodi with Alexa

http://www.howtogeek.com/249336/how-to-control-your-kodi-media-center-with-an-amazon-echo/

As it is, it not user friendly to do, but once it is setup, it is interesting, I can play/pause, request a specific movie or tv show, ask about the latest movies or shows.

One thing that I like is that since this works on Kodi, it kind of becomes a universal solution that would work on most devices, except anything by Apple. 

• Like 1

I think my original question was right, the emby API needs to be accessed through https.

Or a webserver could be written to interface with emby API and accept info from Echos cloud server.

But, we still have to learn how to teach the cloud sever commands we want to use with emby.

Edited by chef

We might be able to use the Custom Slot generator code mentioned in that how-to Pelon posted, and have it read from emby libraries instead.

It could be a plugin.

I need to read more because it is all new still.