Synchronized multi-client streaming?

njoak

I'll pose this as a question: Is it feasible and/or desirable to be able to synchronise streaming to several clients?

I primarily think of music and multi-room functionality similar to Sonos.

• Like 2

IMO Sonos is the best at this.  But they have the advantage of dedicated hardware.

We would have to implement something and it would be no small task.  Our architecture now is client requests something and gets it back as opposed to broadcast content to clients.

Certainly possible, but not sure if or when.  Luke may have more ideas.

@@ebr

Yep, Sonos is my reference for this as well. They do it well and they do it user-friendly in an all-around appealing package. If done well by MB I think something like this would appeal to a lot of people.

I am not sure I understand the advantage of dedicated hardware. Are you thinking of client hardware - like which devices would you want to stream to? That is what I am unsure about as well, streaming to tablets and phones is not the typical use case for something like this. But on the other hand there are a lot of iphone docks and android boxes of various sorts out there... 

Edited by njoak

Koleckai Silvestri

Couldn't the remote have a broadcast function? When received the server could send the same command to all connected clients.

Couldn't the remote have a broadcast function? When received the server could send the same command to all connected clients.

Not all clients can play the same content in the same format.  This is where the dedicated hardware comes in.  Sonos controls exactly what the devices that play the music are capable of.

Honestly, there are solutions that do this really well and to do it in our environment I think would take a lot of effort and we can probably apply that effort to better endeavors - at least for the foreseeable future.