How to run Windows Store app on same machine as server

Luke

By default, Windows Store Applications are not allowed to send network traffic to the local Computer (localhost 127.0.0.1)

To circumvent this restriction you need to allow loopback for Emby Theater in Windows.

To do this, just download the "Windows 8 Loopback Exemption Manager"

https://www.telerik.com/fiddler/add-ons

Once downloaded, just run the Windows8LoopbackManager.exe file. Look for Emby Theater in the list of apps. mark the checkbox and click save.

Now go back to Emby Theater and you'll be able to connect.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

After installing the following update:

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3194496)

The loopback manager comes up empty

Neither emby theater or the theater app will work. 

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
riverboat2001

Can I ask out of curiosity, why you would use the store app rather than installing Emby Theater?

• 4 months later...

The store app will generally be easier on windows surface tablets. On desktop computers I would suggest using our desktop app that is downloaded from our website. Thanks.

• 4 months later...

There is not more executable file available anywhere on your links, please give us another solution to make the windows store app work on a local machine ?

--> for all those looking for an available loopback tool :

https://www.telerik.com/fiddler/add-ons

Install it, it will launch at the end of installation, or run the program yourself

Launch windows store Emby app

Hit refresh in the loopback tool

Select and click the checkbox for Emby theater (if both clients are running ... close the desktop app)

Hit save

You are done.

Took me 2 weeks to have that fixed so hopefully this will help some people (but windows store app does not display pictures when scrolling so just stick with the dektop app !)

Credits to Wilhelm :

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/55504-windows-10-loopback-exemption-manager/&do=findComment&comment=539693

Edited by Yericus

FYI the server has this built in and the new 4.0 release has made some fixes for it. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
b0dyr0ck2006

Still doesn’t work for me with server version 4.0.2.0. Trying to manually connect and no dice

Still doesn’t work for me with server version 4.0.2.0. Trying to manually connect and no dice

What exactly doesn't' work for you? did you read the first post?

• 2 weeks later...
b0dyr0ck2006

Didn’t want to have to install other things to make this work as it should’ve worked out of the box. Downloaded Theater from the website and all is working again, seems a native issue with the windows App Store version

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Did you read the first post? The store app can't just make itself work due to security measures put in place by Microsoft.

• 1 month later...
rokabard

Did you read the first post? The store app can't just make itself work due to security measures put in place by Microsoft.

Then how is it that the Plex store app works just fine with the Plex Media Server on the same machine?

I thought I would give Emby a try, but was really disappointed when it didn't work. Had to go back to Plex...

PS

After writing this, I thought I would give Emby another try with the desktop application (mentioned in some posts above). So I re-installed the server and downloaded and installed the old .exe app, only to find out that it requires a paid subscription to play my files(!!!).

Am I missing something? Is Emby not free like Plex? Again, what a disappointment...

Edited by rokabard

I apologize for the disappointment. We work very hard on Emby and we thank you for your support.

• 8 months later...
Chillout

Rather than using a loopback extension maybe there is an easy way to hard-code the instructions into the system.  Below is a script from silicon dust DVRs how to circumvent the issue and possibly the developers here could provide instructions that would work with Emby:

HDHomeRun app (Win10) - does not find DVR

Please right click on the Start menu icon and select Windows PowerShell (Admin) or Command Prompt (Admin). Run the following command:

CheckNetIsolation LoopbackExempt -a -n=”ef712ba7.hdhomerundvr_23nna27hyxhag”

You should get a response of “OK.” Open the app and check to see if you can then access the DVR.

We have the server doing something similar when it detects discovery attempts from the windows store app.

• 2 years later...
clarkss12

Hard to believe that in 2022 we still have to use the loop-back app to get the server/client working on the same machine.  

I was sent a new Mini PC to test and I am trying Emby Theater on this PC, but fist issue was the loop-back issue.

I have more issues that I will post on the appropriate thread.

17 minutes ago, clarkss12 said:

Hard to believe that in 2022 we still have to use the loop-back app to get the server/client working on the same machine.  

I was sent a new Mini PC to test and I am trying Emby Theater on this PC, but fist issue was the loop-back issue.

I have more issues that I will post on the appropriate thread.

The server registers the loopback exception for the app so you don't need to use some other app for this.