I broke my posters and can't figure out how to un-break them

bill.couper

bill.couper

Hi everybody!

I added a lot of movies to my Library this morning and few hours later noticed they weren't displaying correctly in the player. The names were the filenames and the posters were screenshots.

When I looked at the folders, there was an nfo file and a poster.jpg but they were wrong - the nfo was generic and the poster was a screenshot.

Turns out some changes to the network had caused Emby to lose its ability to connect to the internet, so when it tried to download the metadata it could not.

I fixed the networking and Emby could again connect to the internet.

I did a Library Scan. I did a metadata refresh (tried both 'missing' and 'replace all').

The affected movies metadata got updated, mostly.

All the metadata was there now, including banners and logos etc, however the posters were still the screenshots that it created earlier.

So... I did a dumb thing... because I had added so many movies, I decided it would be much easier to just delete ALL posters and run the metadata refresh for 'missing' metadata.

That didn't work. I then tried replace all metadata, including images, but that didn't work.

I added some more movies to the Library and the metadata including posters came down correctly. All previous movies still don't have posters.

I ran the library scan and metadata refreshes a few more times and now I've given up. I can't see what is wrong or how to fix my mistake.

My settings are

Metadata - Settings: All 3 boxes are ticked here, preferred language is English and location is Australia

Metadata - Services - Movies: Every tick-box on this page is ticked, including all the 'Fetch Images' ticks.

Library - Display: Every tick-box on this page is ticked.

Library - Advanced: No custom metadata path, no tick for hiding images

P.S: When the metadata manager says it queues a refresh, is there any way to see this queue or get a progress indication?

Thank you.

PenkethBoy

Try this as a test

Move a movie directory out of you library

then delete the images in the directory and the nfo files

do a library scan - emby sees it gone

then run a clean database scan - this will remove any reference to the "deleted" movie

then move the movie back

emby should see the new movie and re download all the metadata

its the clean database step you are missing as otherwise emby still knows about the movie so you do not always get a clean refresh

if you have lots of movies then its probably easier to delete the libray from within emby - do a database clean then recreate the library as will be a lot quicker and simpler to do

refresh queues do not have any visible progress - i jst wait 2-3 mins then do a page refresh (f5) and its usually done

You can just manually refresh a title from the detail screen and check the box to replace existing images. if that doesn't do the job, then there is probably a reason. perhaps it hasn't identified the content with an internet metadata provider, so you could try the Identify function.

bill.couper

Thanks PenkethBoy and Luke for the responses.

The full scan takes sooooo freaking long, I wasn't looking forward to doing that method, so I tried the other way first.

I tried manually refreshing a title from the detail screen. That worked. The poster is now correct.

Why doesn't it do that when I choose the same refresh options for the entire Library? Now I have to do it for every movie individually?

Well... that will keep me occupied for a while at least. And at least I know it works.

Thanks again to both of you.

PS: I am running the 3.0.7100.0 build on a QNAP TS-853A

bill.couper

Oh, one more thing. I can't recall ever seeing a 'Clean Database' option. If I was going to follow that route, where would i find it?

bill.couper

Oh... I think I see what is happening :(

I have a library called "Movies". In the metadata manager, if I click on "Movies" and do a refresh.... it doesn't refresh the sub-items (the actual movies).... :(

So this whole time I thought I was asking it to refresh ALL movies, but it was refreshing NOTHING :(

Feature request? lolz

Edited by bill.couper

Oh... I think I see what is happening :(

I have a library called "Movies". In the metadata manager, if I click on "Movies" and do a refresh.... it doesn't refresh the sub-items (the actual movies).... :(

So this whole time I thought I was asking it to refresh ALL movies, but it was refreshing NOTHING :(

Feature request? lolz

That does refresh the sub items, it's just that it currently does not give you a way to monitor the refresh progress, which may lead you to think that it's not refreshing them.

That does refresh the sub items, it's just that it currently does not give you a way to monitor the refresh progress, which may lead you to think that it's not refreshing them.

:)

/me remind Luke of that old FR :)