Difference between Emby Theater and Emby Fire TV Apps for Live TV

lcasadonte

lcasadonte

I have posted several times on some issues with LiveTV and the FIRETV emby app using the hdhomerun extend (new version latest firmware beta3 now and latest emby server Version 3.1.154.0 beta).  While I believe most of my issues are being caused by poor signal quality and how ffmpeg processes it I decided to install the latest emby theater on my windows 8.1 pc and immediately noticed it played video better than my tv tuner and emby app for firetv.  I can play video on channels the tv wont play or tune at all (sound is another issue).  So my question is why can emby theater play the video stream better than the emby firetv app and are their further things I can do now to improve the quality of the firetv livetv video experience (maybe changing out the player on the firetv or somehow getting logs from emby theater and comparing them to the firetv logs - just not sure how to do this in emby theater).  Again help is much appreciated and thanks in advance.

lcasadonte

I've tried to create a custom dlna profile for the sony tv 55w650d bravia.  Its not the google tv unfortunately but am trying to run emby theater through url loader.  Love the app and think its recognizing a sony bravia 2011 profile i copied but its still transcoding.  Meanwhile on the fire tv thinking i would create a custom dlna profile to see if that would allow it to direct stream, I discovered vlc wasn't installed for some reason, installed it and direct stream now works on the firetv and the ota signal is playing as well as its going to given the lower signal quality issue.  So I know that ffmpeg is not playing well transcoding a low signal quality but the device (firetv) can direct play it using vlc.  Emby theater on the pc (windows 8.1 chrome) can play it without transcoding so I thought it might just be a matter of finding the right dlna profile for the sony tv so it could direct play it through emby theater as well.  I've come to the conclusion its not a player difference but a dlna profile/recognition difference if that makes sense.  Emby knows its windows and plays direct but is not doing that for the sony tv for some reason.  Emby theater app is wonderful.  Great job on the UI.  Probably one of the best I've seen.  Thanks for the hard work.

Emby Theater running through opera tv url loader will have a different set of capabilities than the traditional desktop app on Windows PC. We hope to eventually have Emby Theater as a native android app.