General functionality issues - Emby Server

acnp77

Angelblue05

What is the version of the emby add-on installed? Is it 2.2.19? I'll check the dialog issue, thanks.

Yes, you are direct playing. That's the only possible outcome when choosing native playback mode.

Well as you might know, mixed content is not supported in Kodi. So we split it by content type for Kodi. It's not normal, however that Kodi is unable to locate them. What is the path to your mixed content in the dashboard > library? Is it the same as your movies? In Kodi, If you open the context menu > info for those items, it should display the path. Let me know what you see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05

What is the version of the emby add-on installed? Is it 2.2.19? I'll check the dialog issue, thanks.

Yes, you are direct playing. That's the only possible outcome when choosing native playback mode.

Well as you might know, mixed content is not supported in Kodi. So we split it by content type for Kodi. It's not normal, however that Kodi is unable to locate them. What is the path to your mixed content in the dashboard > library? Is it the same as your movies? In Kodi, If you open the context menu > info for those items, it should display the path. Let me know what you see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@ Angelblue05:

The addon version is 2.2.19 - yes.

I solved the path problem. Thanks for help. The problem was on my side. (I named the path "new" instead of "_new"). No problem with the addon. It seems to pick up the path substitions nicely.

That the content is split up in kodi is not a problem. Just need to get used to it.

BUT:

Now I just have one problem: I can not see all my content in kodi-library:

I have a folder that is called "_new", it contains all new media. it is mixed content and the files are not yet named correctly. In Emby-server this is no problem. Let's say file "A.mp4" does not get recognized when scanning the library, so it will simply show up in emby-library with the filename. That ist a great feature. So I can access "A.mp4" from emby-library. So far so good. But in kodi-emby-addon I can not find "A.mp4" anywhere. (and I really, really did search...)

This is what I meant in a earlier post when I was talking about library inconsistancy. If this is really so it is a huge problem for me as I need to have access to all content in "_new". I hope I am wrong about this... I would love to use the addon.

Cheers

EDIT: I restarted my kodi to see if it would get the missing music-item. It started scanning... scanned not all, but a part of the library again. (maybe 30% or so). I hav not made ANY changes to the source. It did not add the missing item but it did remove an other item (which worked perfectly before) for no apparent reason. I did a kodi restart again. This time no library scan occured. Nothing changed.

EDIT2: With my organized "movie" folder everything works smoothly... :)) All of my problems seem to involve my "new" folder which contains crappy folder- and filenames. I think it is not a good ides to try to add the "new" folder to the emby library and then sync it to kodi. It's just asking for errors... as mentioned- with correctly named folders everthing is great.

Edited by acnp77
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

@@acnp77

I just think because you are using mixed library it's a lot less forgiving in Kodi than other apps which just displays what is on your server. In order to handle the mixed content scenario, we pull everything type "movie", and everything type "tv show". If the server doesn't detect them as the specified type, then the content will not be returned in the api when Emby for Kodi asks the server what belong to the mixed content library.

Unset mixed content doesn't mean "unidentified content" library. It simply means that everything is bunched up, but still retains the proper structure/naming for individual items.

I would consider changing the library type to Home Videos instead, which is the closest you'll get to having mixed unidentified content, with little to no metadata. Then you'll be able to view and playback your content from that folder in Kodi.

EDIT: I restarted my kodi to see if it would get the missing music-item. It started scanning... scanned not all, but a part of the library again. (maybe 30% or so). I hav not made ANY changes to the source. It did not add the missing item but it did remove an other item (which worked perfectly before) for no apparent reason. I did a kodi restart again. This time no library scan occured. Nothing changed.

Are you saying you have music in your mixed content library? If so, it won't be synced to Kodi because it's not of type movie or tvshow.

Keep me posted.

Edited by Angelblue05

Hey Angel - cool to move this over into the Kodi forum so that other Kodi (and potential Kodi) users can benefit?

• Like 1

Hey Angel - cool to move this over into the Kodi forum so that other Kodi (and potential Kodi) users can benefit?

Yes please, thanks

Done.

@@acnp77

I just think because you are using mixed library it's a lot less forgiving in Kodi than other apps which just displays what is on your server. In order to handle the mixed content scenario, we pull everything type "movie", and everything type "tv show". If the server doesn't detect them as the specified type, then the content will not be returned in the api when Emby for Kodi asks the server what belong to the mixed content library.

Unset mixed content doesn't mean "unidentified content" library. It simply means that everything is bunched up, but still retains the proper structure/naming for individual items.

I would consider changing the library type to Home Videos instead, which is the closest you'll get to having mixed unidentified content, with little to no metadata. Then you'll be able to view and playback your content from that folder in Kodi.

Are you saying you have music in your mixed content library? If so, it won't be synced to Kodi because it's not of type movie or tvshow.

Keep me posted.

Thanks for the hint... for the "new"-folder I tried "homevideos and photos" as content type for emby-library. This does not work either for my usecase as I have movies, tv shows and music in my "new" folder.

It is interessting, when I use "mixed content" for the "new"-folder it does sync some (but not all) music into the kodi-music-library.

Your app work very nicely with properly named files and folders like "movies" "tv" "music" etc...

But for an unorganized folder containing mixed content that is not properly label yet I came to the conclusion that it does not work. (This is not the apps fault as this simply can not be done in Kodi library)

So the only  :)  issue is with the unsorted, mixed "new"-folder:

In Emby I have 2 lib's: "movies" and "new". On Emby-server the "new" library works very well. Everthing in one place and even if not recognized, it's still playable. Whereas in Kodi library things look a bit different.

Question:

-> Is there any way to only sync "movies" to kodi-emby-addon?  So I just would exclude the "new"-emby-library from syncing. Is this somehowe possible? The contents of "new" could be accessed with DLNA (which is not as nice as your app but will be good enough for the "new" items that have not yet been organized into the respective folders yet.)

Comment / question on setup of addon:

-> I installed the addon as video addon. Then, in setttings I enabled the "music-library". Am I all set or do I nned to install as music-addon too? This is just about the only unclear thing about the setup. Otherwise great. 

Question:

I assume the sync is one-way just down to kodi-addon and the addon can not change the contents of server-emby-library. So if I add other sources to my local-kodi-library they wil not get synced back to the server.

Which make sense IMHO. Is this correct?

Let me know if I can help with ome testing... just to say.

Thanks

Cheers

Edited by acnp77

Angelblue05

Your mixed content throws your setup off, especially with music because the structure and naming is not detected properly. That causes a lot of issues when we pull info, because mixed content is treated differently where we have to pull by content type movie or tvshow. Your presentation in the webclient must be pretty awful with the _new folder with little to no metadata, right?

All of your content that doesn't sync from it is not properly identified. Some people do use mixed content and it works fine for them. I also have a test folder that contains random movies and shows that serves as my mixed content and it works fine. I don't know how music can sync from mixed content. I coded it to only pull movies and shows. So what you are saying isn't really reflecting what should happen... Does it get synced to your Kodi music library? Doubt it.

To disable the mixed content would mean you'll need to disable the library in the emby dashboard > user(select your user) > access. Then run a manual sync in Kodi by launching the emby add-on. Otherwise I'd suggest using home videos instead. Then the addon simply displays what the server has under home videos - it's the best type for unidentified content. You could give it a try and see how it performs for you.

Question about music:
Enabling the setting alone won't do anything, however, running a manual sync will get any emby music library added to Kodi.

Question about sync:
Correct, local kodi libraries do not sync to Emby in any way.

Edit: If you decide to try home videos, the content is not imported into the database - it's a realtime plugin listing. The shortcut is found by launching the Emby add-on. You can also add the shortcut to your homescreen for easy access if you decide to keep it this way.

Keep me posted.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

@@Angelblue05

My problem is not really with the mixed content but much more with the "new"-folder because it contains unorganized, not properly named items. Of coures, the fact thet is is mixed content does not help.

about the music-syncing: (maybe this info can help you)

I did the following:

1. fresh install of openelec (kodi) on rpi1 (sdcard)

2. installed your addon

3. in addon settings select to use music lib and to directstream music

4. create mixed-content lib on emby-srv. (The content is made up of movies, tv shows and music but nothing named properly yet)

5. wait for sync to finish

6. check in kodi music lib: there are three items from the mixed content (also the correct genre has been created)

-> you may want to try this... I know you write that this should not happen. But I did. Again I think it is due to the fact that the naming of the files and folders is not done yet. But if you say that nothing should go into the music lib- I find it a bit strange. Just for info. (I did definitly not have any content in my kodi library before the sync with emby-srv.)

about the setup: the setup is great and works fast. What I do not understand: when I open the addon-repo I get "emby addon" in "video-addons" and in "music-addons". I only installed from "video addons" and that seemed to be enough (I see "emby" in music, movies,tv and photo library. So I think everything is ok.) It is just the setup that presented itself a little unlogical. But maybe thats just me. I do not understand what the setting "enable music lib" does.

about home videos (realtime plugin listing.): GREAT!!

Something like this is what I was looking for. The "home video" emby-lib will not show the music but that's ok. And on kodi I can direct play these items without syncing and making a mess :)

The solution is far from perfect though- on my rpi the "realtime plugin listing" for a directory with 116 items takes around 20secs. Is there any way for caching this lists? Or making it faster? (without changing the client)

Conclusion:

Emby, Kodi and your addon is by far the best solution out there IMHO. So I will stick with it.

Most problems involve my unorg. content. so I simply removed it from the emby-server. Now things are looking good :)

I would love to add my "new"-folder to the emby-srv. as mixed content without it beeing synced to the kodi-addon.

If your addon would allow me to select which emby libs I want to sync and which ones to access with "realtime listing" or maybe not at all- that would be the absolut perfect thing. ;) 

Now I am feeling like one client is limiting the possibilities of the whole system. (Meaning I could add the "new"-folder to the server and use it with e.g. the webclient or 10 other clients- but because Kodi-addon will pick up on that and make a "mess" I no longer have this posiblity) - I think this is an important point. What are your thoughts on that?

Cheers

• Like 1

I dont want to use the Emby-Kodi plugin- for many reasons, so please do not propose this.

Emby, Kodi and your addon is by far the best solution out there IMHO. So I will stick with it.

High praise indeed :)

• Like 3

Angelblue05

I would love to add my "new"-folder to the emby-srv. as mixed content without it beeing synced to the kodi-addon.

If your addon would allow me to select which emby libs I want to sync and which ones to access with "realtime listing" or maybe not at all- that would be the absolut perfect thing. ;)

Now I am feeling like one client is limiting the possibilities of the whole system. (Meaning I could add the "new"-folder to the server and use it with e.g. the webclient or 10 other clients- but because Kodi-addon will pick up on that and make a "mess" I no longer have this posiblity) - I think this is an important point. What are your thoughts on that?

Cheers

It was one of my original suggestion, to allow the possibility of blacklisting emby libraries from being synced. There's not many votes on the feature so if it does end up getting implemented, it will low on the priority list.

https://trello.com/c/3id4kr0k/27-add-option-to-blacklist-not-monitor-specific-views

About plugin listing, it will definitely be reviewed to bring some improvements. It will take a little time for me to get to it, unless another dev gets the chance to work on it. Thanks for the feedback!

about the setup: the setup is great and works fast. What I do not understand: when I open the addon-repo I get "emby addon" in "video-addons" and in "music-addons". I only installed from "video addons" and that seemed to be enough (I see "emby" in music, movies,tv and photo library. So I think everything is ok.) It is just the setup that presented itself a little unlogical. But maybe thats just me. I do not understand what the setting "enable music lib" does.

It's just the way the add-on is being marked in Kodi. It provides video/audio/image, so you will see the same add-on appear in different list. There's also 3 emby for kodi dependencies linked to the main add-on (movies, shows, musicvideos). You don't need to worry yourself about these, they are very very rarely updated, but are essential to the functionality of Emby for Kodi.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

@ CBers

This is out of context - and does not contradict itself...

I just thought that in general one should not have to depend on something like a kodi addon coded by a very small group of people to achive a log-term and stable system. I still stand by this.

But in this actual situation the addon is by far the best solution. (And it's a good one)

Cheers ;)

Edited by acnp77

This is out of context - and does not contradict itself...

I didn't say it did, but you went from not wanting to use it, to saying it's the "best solution" within 99 hours :)

As long as you're happy, then it's all good.

• Like 1

I didn't say it did, but you went from not wanting to use it, to saying it's the "best solution" within 99 hours :)

As long as you're happy, then it's all good.

Yeah, you are right... (It's a complicated world)... :)

• Like 1