Playback subtitles weird display

djhifi
Go to solution Solved by Angelblue05,

• 3 weeks later...

For everyone that have linux servers and use accented subtitles, the problem is reported here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/39560-subtitle-ansi-marking-on-accented-characters/&do=findComment&comment=377366

Current status is unsolved but "being looked into".

You can close this thread if you wish @@Angelblue05

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Angelblue05

Alright guys

I put in a fix in the last emby for kodi beta version 2.2.57. It should convert the subtitles to utf-8 on the fly so they can display correctly in Kodi. Note this only works if you have defined the language tag in the filename such as filename.pt.srt. Can someone from this thread confirm this? Thanks :)

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

Alright guys

I put in a fix in the last emby for kodi beta version 2.2.57. It should convert the subtitles to utf-8 on the fly so they can display correctly in Kodi. Note this only works if you have defined the language tag in the filename such as filename.pt.srt. Can someone from this thread confirm this? Thanks :)

This is good but as I already replied in the PM i've sent you, it doesnt bother me the KODI addon side. Because I dont transcode inside my house. I direct stream, so KODI and your addon handle the subs correctly (as it's supposed to in 2016 lol). Strange this thing still persists server side and emby client side tough....so many accented chars users..

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same character encoding problem with both, emby server and emby for kodi addon.

Server (3.0.8500.0) runs on Centos 7 headless, and accessed by web browser on windows.

Emby for kodi ( 2.3.19) runs on LibreElec (jarvis 16.1).

Before installing emby for kodi addon, I used to change settings>videos>subtitles>character set to suit the encoding. This effectively fixed all encoding problems. Now, with emby for kodi addon, this switch has no effect. Subtitles for streaming on kodi (outside emby for kodi addon) works without any encoding problem.

This subtitle encoding problem is a show stopper. Instead of changing encoding all the srt files to UTF8, please introduce subtitle encoding switch somehow in emby server.

I love otherwise fantastic emby server and emby for kodi addon. I truly appreciate your efforts in creating this gem.

Edited by sse450

Angelblue05

@@sse450

This issue has nothing to do with the add-on. When you direct play from HTTP, the server provides the file and subs. What you are seeing is a server side issue. However, I do believe this has finally be resolved in the beta version of the server. If the issue persists, post in the server forums as no one here can fix this. Thanks.

Edited by Angelblue05