7Illusions Buffering Question

mselley

Hi,

While testing the app i have noticed that it is buffering up to an hour.

So a few questions.

Is it supposed to buffer this much?

Where does all this data get stored on a smaller device like a phone?

Is there a possibility/ already an option to choose the buffering length as if i open the app start watching a movie and pause it, it caries on buffering an hours worth of the movie.

It could really destroy a data allowance if im out the house.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I have also noticed that if i am playing a video. Then i stop playing by going back to the menu or the home page it carries on streaming/buffering to the app.

Think this is quite a serious one. It could rack up massive data usage for someone who has the app open in the background. They may have no idea that its using any data.

This is a screen shot with the app sitting on the home screen after playing a movie. The app isnt even in focus as i am writing this in chrome.

57ea76b26586a_EmberStreaming.jpg

FrostByte

Hadn't noticed that, but will try it here now.  Is it transcoding?  None of my stuff transcodes on PC, but will try and force it if I don't see it otherwise

FrostByte

I don't know if I can really duplicate network usage because my media is on the same computer as the app so the Network utilization always says 0% even during playback. 

However, disk usage dropped to 0% in <30 seconds after hitting pause while playing a movie

57ea8962b7804_ember1.jpg

and it hit 0% a little bit longer, maybe a 1 minute, after just navigating back to home without hitting pause during playback

57ea89d33349f_ember2.jpg

• Like 1

Hi,

My media is remote. I can't seem to duplicate the problem. My results are similar to Frostbyte's, network utilization drops to zero on puase or stop.  Can you provide some details on the media that produces what you are seeing?

I want to make sure I am testing as close of a senario to yours that I can.

Thanks

Mine carries on buffering for as long as i have waited let it sat for around 10 minutes. Seems to happen on all file types. This was a low quality video 512x384 mpeg mp3 Direct Streaming.

I only played it for 1 or 2 seconds but you can see its still streaming way after that on this small snippet of my monitoring graph.

In the log at the bottom you can see that i only played the video for 2-3 seconds before going back to the home screen.

57ed1b2281382_Emberstreaminggraph2.jpg

I cant find any transcoding ones to test.

So the first issue is endless buffering.

Second issue is the buffering once the back button has been pressed.

Thanks

[ 29/09/2016 14:40:44 ][TRACE][ App ][ Message: Emby Started: 29/09/2016 13:40:44 ]
[ 29/09/2016 14:40:52 ][ERROR][ Emby.ApiInteraction.ConnectionManager ][ Message: Error getting response from http://(REMOVED IP):(REMOVED PORT)/emby/system/info/public?format=json ]
[ 29/09/2016 14:40:53 ][iNFO][ Emby.ApiInteraction.ConnectionManager ][ Message: Created new web socket of type WebSocketClient ]
[ 29/09/2016 14:40:53 ][iNFO][ Emby.ApiInteraction.ConnectionManager ][ Message: Connecting to wss://(REMOVED IP):(REMOVED PORT)/emby/embywebsocket?api_key= ]
[ 29/09/2016 14:40:53 ][iNFO][ Emby.ApiInteraction.ConnectionManager ][ Message: Connected to wss://(REMOVED IP):(REMOVED PORT)/emby/embywebsocket?api_key= ]
[ 29/09/2016 14:40:53 ][iNFO][ BaseView ][ Message: Navigated to Emby.Views.HomeView ]
[ 29/09/2016 14:41:00 ][iNFO][ BaseView ][ Message: Navigated to Emby.Views.DetailsView ]
[ 29/09/2016 14:41:00 ][ERROR][ Emby.ApiInteraction.ConnectionManager ][ Message: Error getting response from http://(REMOVED IP):(REMOVED PORT)/emby/system/info/public?format=json ]
[ 29/09/2016 14:41:04 ][iNFO][ MediaBrowser.ApiInteraction.Playback.UwpPlaybackManager ][ Message: Profile: Windows 10/UWP, Path: (REMOVED PATH), isEligibleForDirectPlay: True, isEligibleForDirectStream: True ]
[ 29/09/2016 14:41:06 ][iNFO][ Emby.ApiInteraction.ConnectionManager ][ Message: Received web socket message: PlaybackStart ]
[ 29/09/2016 14:41:07 ][iNFO][ Emby.ApiInteraction.ConnectionManager ][ Message: Received web socket message: UserDataChanged ]
[ 29/09/2016 14:41:08 ][iNFO][ BaseView ][ Message: Navigated to Emby.Views.DetailsView ]
[ 29/09/2016 14:41:09 ][iNFO][ Emby.ApiInteraction.ConnectionManager ][ Message: Received web socket message: PlaybackStopped ]
[ 29/09/2016 14:41:09 ][iNFO][ Emby.ApiInteraction.ConnectionManager ][ Message: Received web socket message: UserDataChanged ]
Edited by mselley

Same thing still happens when i press pause before back.

Only think i can do to stop the streaming is close or minimise the app.

I assume when its minimised windows stops the app execution.

But if i then maximise the app again it starts streaming again.

So the only sure way to stop it is close it completely

• 2 weeks later...
7illusions

No, no luck at all. I was hoping that someone else would report that they're experiencing the same, but you seem to be the only one, which makes me think it could be a os install issue or device specific