tvOS Update has Killed Emby

Khufu
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Gets as far as Starting Up then crashes to home screen. Deleted and reinstalled app as well as a hard reset on Apple TV. Are you planing on rolling out an update soon? I'd like to get things working again.

I encountered the same issue as Khufu after I completed the tvOS10 update today.  Deleting and re-installing the app does not work either..

Edited by Pancho

Do you guys get any error messages or anything else from the Apple TV?

My device is running 10.0 and has no issues with our app.

yep same problem, tonight ios10 on appleTV installed and the emby app crashed after startup. reinstall and softrest will not fix the problem. so i think you have to fix the app. Ahh on Ipad ios10 works well. Just Apple TV will NOT work. 

thanks 

*life time supporter pat*

Edited by sawasdii

As a test, I even did a factory reset on my AppleTV with tvOS10, and after installing the Emby app, I see the 'Starting Up' screen.. then it flashes back to the home screen.   Unfortunately, no error numbers shown.

hotrod_hemi

Experienced this issue with the first beta release of tvOS10 - still experiencing the same issue with the final release today. Starts "Starting Up" - then crash. No error code, etc...

Very sorry about this guys but without being able to reproduce the problem, we have no idea what to "fix".

Perhaps more information on y'all's setup will help us.  For instance:

• How are you connecting to your server?  Does it find it automatically or do you have to enter manually?  Using connect?
  • How many servers are in your environment?
  • How many users?  Anything special like them all hidden from the login screen?
  • What OS is your server on?
  • What version of the server?
  • Anything else you can think of

Got the same problem.

- Automatic discovery on the same network

- 1 server

- 2 users and 2 guest. Nothing speciel

- Windows 10

Version 3.1.148.0 beta

- Nothing speciel about the setup

aiannetta

Having the same issue. Gets to the point where it says Starting and crashes to the home screen.

- 1 server

- 2 users

- Windows Server 2012 R2

Version 3.0.7100.0

Same issue here.  Emby server running on a Mac.  Installed Emby app on tvOS 10 and it just crashes a few seconds after launching the app.  Are you trying to reproduce it on tvOS 10 beta, or on the official release that came out today?

- Automatic discovery

- 1 server

- single user

- Windows 7

- Version 3.0.7100.0

Second AppleTV in the house is still running iOS 9 and working fine

Did all of you guys have auto login configured?

If so, can you please try force-closing the app (double-click home and be sure it doesn't show there) and then re-starting?

Auto login will not work but it may get you going for now.

When I factory reset my appleTV today, I simply installed the app fresh (never logged into a server), and it still crashes after startup.   Any other way to get any additional troubleshooting details/logs off the appleTV (install another app perhaps)?

When I factory reset my appleTV today, I simply installed the app fresh (never logged into a server), and it still crashes after startup.   Any other way to get any additional troubleshooting details/logs off the appleTV (install another app perhaps)?

Have you done that since I posted the request above?

- 1 server
- 4 users
- Server Version 3.0.7100.0 (runs on Unraid 6.1.9 Docker)

I reset my device way earlier in the day after I saw your post that your upgrade was working.  I figured it was no harm to reset, as I had very little installed on the Apple TV.   I re-installed other apps (Channels, Netflix, Showtime Anytime, etc.), everything works except for Emby.    I wish I could provide logs or an error code as I do realize trying to troubleshoot this is tough since you cannot duplicate the error.      :)

- 1 server
- 4 users
- Server Version 3.0.7100.0 (runs on Unraid 6.1.9 Docker)

I reset my device way earlier in the day after I saw your post that your upgrade was working.  I figured it was no harm to reset, as I had very little installed on the Apple TV.   I re-installed other apps (Channels, Netflix, Showtime Anytime, etc.), everything works except for Emby.    I wish I could provide logs or an error code as I do realize trying to troubleshoot this is tough since you cannot duplicate the error.      :)

I made a change in the code at 8:15pm EDT and then asked to force-close and test.  Did you try this after that time?

ebr I've had no luck after the change you made. Just did a complete reinstall of the os and app and still get no option to select the server or choose to turn off auto login. The app simply crashes to the Apple TV home screen.

Edited by Khufu

I have a work around but it's so terrible it's not really worth it in the long run. Hopefully it will help you trouble shoot.

1. Delete Emby from Apple TV

2. Shutdown Emby Server

3. Redownload Emby App and launch

4. When given the option to login with Connect or Server Address choose "Server Address"

5. Now restart the Server and copy down your local address

6. Enter your local address and hit connect

7. At the Server screen choose your sever and then select the user

8. At this point one of two things will happen, either you will once again have access to your media or it will hang. If it hangs hit the menu button to go back one screen and try again. It should work the second time.

Now here's the problem, if you leave the app and try to launch it again you will be meet by the "Starting Up..." screen and a moment or two later it will crash. Requiring you to start all over again from step one. So while it will work for a long viewing session without interruption this will not be a good long term solution.

Once I was in I tried experimenting with turning off and on auto login because that was identified as a possible cause for the issue, sadly it made no difference. Hopefully this helps. I'd like to get things back up and running soon.

Based on what we've discovered so far, that workaround makes sense.  Why it works for me without auto login turned on, doesn't.

We're working on it.

mgworek

Emby is working fine for me after updating with auto login but I didn't update until just now after you made changes.

I know you need input from people who were having the problem last night after updating but at least you know its working for one person.

Emby is working fine for me after updating with auto login but I didn't update until just now after you made changes.

I know you need input from people who were having the problem last night after updating but at least you know its working for one person.

Thanks for the report.