External Player Possibility?

moviefan

moviefan

I  was reading in the Android TV thread that it is now possible to call an external player to help with pass-through audio.

Was curious if you would ever consider allowing this with AppleTV so that Infuse could be leveraged for its video player capabilities and support of all formats?

Still am trying to decide between using nVidia Shield with Kodi + Emby Plugin or AppleTV with Infuse or some combination for this setup I am designing for a new house.  Was looking at the Helix Media ION but I will need probably six of these devices, I want them all to be the same, and the price for each one is like $700 which seems totally unreasonable.

I'd like to get the best player with the best experience, but want to be able to support DTS passthrough at a minimum.  I really notice the difference between AC3 and DTS when I play files on any decent soundsystem.  And I don't want to get an HTPC as I am designing this for someone else and want them to have more of a blackbox solution.

• Like 2

I'm not sure how possible this is with tvOS.  The typical way things are launched via iOS is with url schemes but tvOS does not include Safari which is required to launch those.  There is almost certainly a way to make it happen (with an unknown amount of effort) but there will potentially be some major trade-offs as well (like the loss of resume tracking).

Android is kinda built for this type of thing but Apple usually isn't quite so "open" ;).

So, it is certainly possible it will happen in the future but I wouldn't say it is likely in the near term.

• 1 year later...
andyblac644

how about talking to Infuse developers and get Emby support added directly to Infuse, so it can link into Emby database etc. That way we could use Infuse as the client for Emby server..

• Like 1

sonicblue83

Hi,

I‘m new to Emby and just bought a lifetime subscripton.

I love how to Emby app for AppleTV looks like but the video players of Infuse and MrMC are far superior, specially because they can direct play more file types.

Infuse unfortunately only supports Emby through DNLA and while MrMC has direct Emby support I don‘t like its UI at all.

Can you talk to the Infuse or MrMC developers to get an app with the great look of Emby and the great videoplayers of Infuse or MrMC?

• Like 1

moviefan

Emby + InFuse with watched status integration on ATV would be the ultimate setup.

Would even switch my main HTPC Emby for WMC setup over if I could get this working.

Make sure to like to the first post so we can show our support of two people!  ;-p

• Like 1

andyblac644

imo thats not the way to do it, Infuse GUI is awful for tvshows, finding a show you have started is just awful. IMO infuse need to able to act as a EXTERNAL player, and use emby as the frontend.

Edited by andyblac644

fbrassin

imo thats not the way to do it, Infuse GUI is awful for tvshows, finding a show you have started is just awful. IMO infuse need to able to act as a EXTERNAL player, and use emby as the frontend.

Absolutely agree.

• Like 1