Kodi stops playback after a couple of minutes

horstepipe
Go to solution Solved by horstepipe,

horstepipe

hey

one of my (external) Kodi clients has playback problems since a couple of weeks.

Playback starts fine, but after some minutes it freezes.

Client is a Raspberry Pi 3 with Libreelec.

Any idea how to find out what's causing the problem?

The only strange things in server log are these lines:

2016-09-12 16:22:57.8739 Error HttpServer: Error in SharpWebSocket: An exception has occurred while receiving a message.. Exception.Message: The header part of a frame cannot be read from the data source.
2016-09-12 16:22:58.0255 Error HttpServer: Error in SharpWebSocket: Sending a data has been interrupted.
2016-09-12 16:22:58.0255 Error HttpServer: Error in SharpWebSocket: The WebSocket connection has already been closed.

Already tried a fresh install of the Emby for Kodi plugin.

Everything ran smooth the last months before the problem occured.

I'm beginning to think that this is a hardware issue of the rp3.

Angelblue05

What is the playback mode set on the rpi? If it's addon playback mode, is play from HTTP enabled under the emby addon settings > playback tab?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

horstepipe

What is the playback mode set on the rpi? If it's addon playback mode, is play from HTTP enabled under the emby addon settings > playback tab?

Yes, isn't it the only working setting when accessing the server externally/over the internet?

Angelblue05

Yeah it is. Do you have this issue if you playback in the webclient? Does Kodi show any errors when it stops working? Do you have advancedsettings set up? The issue could also be your Emby server since the file is provided by it when play from HTTP is enabled. To figure out what is wrong, you'll have to test.

Edited by Angelblue05

horstepipe

Yeah it is. Do you have this issue if you playback in the webclient? Does Kodi show any errors when it stops working? Do you have advancedsettings set up? The issue could also be your Emby server since the file is provided by it when play from HTTP is enabled. To figure out what is wrong, you'll have to test.

this is the only client I have issues with. I'm having another Kodi client (Windows) which accesses the server externally, too. No problems there. The affected client worked absolute smoothly with the same settings until a coulpe of weeks ago.

Kodi shows no errors.

Yes, advancedsettings is set up with

<cachemembuffersize>0</cachemembuffersize>

which always worked fine.

Edited by horstepipe
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

I would think to adjust this value to see if it performs better. Have a look: http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO%3AModify_the_video_cache#Cache_settings

From the site, sounds like what is happening to your rpi:

Note: Do not use the 0 (zero) setting if you have a device with a low amount of local storage, such as 8GB on a Fire TV. As a general rule of thumb, only use this setting if you have at least 16 GB of local drive space that is currently free on the device. Otherwise, Kodi will stall and stop playing the video, or might even crash.

Edited by Angelblue05

horstepipe

I would think to adjust this value to see if it performs better. Have a look: http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO%3AModify_the_video_cache#Cache_settings

I'm aware of those settings and we experimented a lot with it.

works best because there isn't enough RAM to fully buffer high definition content.

Edited by horstepipe

Angelblue05

Ok well the issue is not related to Emby for Kodi as you confirmed. Don't forget to share if you find a solution.

How much free space is there on local storage?

And adjusting to a lower number than 20971520 so it matches your RAM doesn't help?

Edited by Angelblue05

horstepipe

Ok well the issue is not related to Emby for Kodi as you confirmed. Don't forget to share if you find a solution.

How much free space is there on local storage?

And adjusting to a lower number than 20971520 so it matches your RAM doesn't help?

It has a 32 GB SD-card, 26 GB free. So that's not the problem because the problem even occurs when streaming a 2GB episode.

I edited my former post, if you didn't recognize it:

Of course I mean:

works best because there isn't enough RAM to fully buffer high definition content.

We can't buffer on the RAM at all because it is too small. So whatever buffer value we enter, the movie will stutter because the bitrate is too high and the RAM too small (We're working without transcoding at all, here)

The

gives us the option to buffer on the flash drive instead of the RAM, so for a bigger movie you have to wait a couple of minutes until it starts, but then it plays stutter-free.

• Like 1

• Solution
horstepipe

Besides the playback issue we were not able to make a full fresh database sync.

Somewhen (always at a different percentage) it freezed and the whole Pi restarted.

Tried another SD-card with a fresh Libreelec...same issue.

Then I installed Openelec 7 beta and finally it works again.

So it looks like there is an ugly bug hidden somewhere in Libreelec.

For me it doesn't matter, I see no downside in using Openelec so everything is fine here.

• Like 1